Guild of Maintainers Forum

It is currently 27 May 2017, 08:34 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2015, 09:27 pm 
Send private message  Profile

Greetings,

Intro: There is a discussion on OpenUru.org about whether to continue to offer its Mantis bug tracker. Mac_Fife and Christian Walther wisely suggested I include the Guild of Maintainers in the discussion since some of you were active on Mantis. I am reposting from a thread on the topic at OpenUru.org:

Mantis was installed on OpenUru.org before there was a Foundry. Once the Foundry came online, Mantis was adopted under the umbrella of the Foundry resource although it is hosted on the OpenUru.org server and not by Foundry. We did some integration between the Mantis database and Foundry.

Mantis has not been used for just over four years because rarified's Foundry service with Atlassian tools and Jenkins CI is vastly superior - it doesn't even compare. The Mantis instance has been retained for anyone who wanted a very simple bug tracker, or just in case Foundry disappeared. I find the Mantis management and UI confusing anyway and would rather do something else if we did anything as an alternative to JIRA.

Mantis development is still active. It has a steady trend of commits.

So I could upgrade to the current version, or I could eliminate a maintenance item that no one uses. But if I eliminate it, it's a self-fulfilling prophesy; no one can use what isn't there. Also, if I can't easily integrate our revised site navigation system with Mantis - something that unfortunately never has gotten attention - I might kill it anyway.

Thoughts?

Reply here or, if you wish, at the OpenUru.org thread on the topic.

Thanks,
JW

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2015, 06:42 pm 

KI Number: 0
It makes sense to shut Mantis down if it is not being used. One less thing to try to maintain.

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2015, 07:34 pm 

Although the data there has not been used for at least four years, we're wondering if anyone who had one of the few projects there still needs or wants it. That would make a difference.