Guild of Maintainers Forum

It is currently 19 Mar 2019, 06:29 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2008, 02:21 pm 
Send private message  Profile

KI Number: 37681
Alternate Avie: Andy Legate ....... uhm.......
I don't really have a spot in the Age Development Forum for this, so I thought I'd post it here.

For those of you that are learning Age Creation or are doing it, and for those of you that are living up to being a Maintainer and are inspecting Ages, and hope to be on the FCAL panel, this news should interest you:

A couple of weeks ago, I emailed Mark DeForest (aka Chogon) and asked him the following:

Quote:
Mark,

I know you're more than likely very busy, and we have not heard from you for a while, but there has been a question brought up that I think we need an answer to. I've asked Alhamnat to look into it, but wanted to try asking you also. It's something that has to do with RAWA's guidelines:

While this is a technical question about Age Creation, it has to deal with Cyan's Property Rights. This question was raised in RAWA's thread over at MystOnline, but there has not been an "Official" answer upon it, only guesses by other fans.

In RAWA's guidelines, we are forbbiden to make new areas of the cavern that would possibly cause a conflict: IE adding a passage from Bevin to the "Hood Next Door" would not be allowed, nor adding to Ae'gura.

However, making new "Isolated" areas (areas that would only be accessable through the Nexus), is permitted, as long as there is no story line conflict of any kind.

This raises the question about using Cyan's property: Meshes and Textures. Obviously the D'ni had a very rich and diverse culture. There are only a few things in Bevin that carry over from Ae'gura, texture wise and a few meshes (moth lights), so it would be quite all right and expected that if someone wanted to create a new Neighborhood that the architecture will be completely different from that found in Ae'gura and Bevin (or Kirel). Different Textures too of course.

BUT....what about the cavern itself? The rock texture and the lake? Those are things that would have to match what you see in Bevin or Ae'gura, else continuity IS broken.
Granted, the Cavern is huge enough that a different area along the walls could have a different type of rock and rock strata and would explain away why the cavern walls and ceilings have different looking textures. It might be a hard pill for the average fan to swallow, but that would be a fine and true explination.

But then there is the lake, there is no getting around this. We can make the new Neighborhood far enough away to make the Arch not visable, but then you have the lake water itself.
One could say: "Well this hood was reached by linking only" but that seems a bit unrealistic, day to day commuting and goods being transported would have been done so over the lake water (making the idea of a tunnel not very realistic too).
Ae'gura set the example, all those piers at the ferry terminal

So that is the question that many of us would like asked, and that I can see coming from new Writers as the FCAL panel starts to ramp up: Can we use the Cavern Rock and Lake textures?

Thanks for any light you might be able to shed on this.

Andy

Mark finally got back to me yesterday, here is what he emailed me :

Quote:
Hi Andy,

Sorry it took so long to reply.

I talked to Rich (aka RAWA) and he said: "Continuity-wise, I would prefer them to use our textures for the cavern specifically for the reasons given here, but I don't know if that throws up any red flags for the "legal department"."

Which I replied with: as long as the textures are only used in Uru and MORE fan created ages and artwork. In other words, only used with the plasma engine (MORE, ULM, etc.) within the FCAL agreement (not for commercial use, etc.).

Thanks,
Mark

O.O

wow......that means any of us can create a neighborhood, and still use many of the textures that are in Uru for the cavern to help make the neighborhoods feel like they belong! This is wonderful news! I've always been a strong advocate about makeing your own stuff, but was worried about how someone would do this after RAWA set down his guidelines.

Man, feels like some chains just got removed from me! Yippy!

My Navy Brag Page

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2008, 03:53 pm 

KI Number: 0
That is really good news, Andy. Thanks for posting this!

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2008, 08:36 am 
Guild Member
Send private message  YIM  Profile

Alternate Avie: 0fullmetal0, masterchiefloser, mcloser
I'm getting an idea to create a sort of "Nexus" area for the ULM Ages (and as proved by boblisman's Paah'kwehNew, it is possible to have a linking book to an Age not yet created, without the game freaking out and crashing. So any Ages you didn't have would have the "this Age not installed" message on the right side of the book)

Unfortunately I couldn't do this, having no knowledge at all how to write Ages.

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2008, 08:44 am 

KI Number: 11179950
I am with you guys. I think this shows some positive hope for MORE and for fan made ages full stop. It shows that MORE is indeed on HOLD and not cancelled (yet). So for me if gives me hope, cautious hope. For all you age makers it must feel good I would imagine. The possibilities and upshot of this will be interesting to follow and see. Exciting times ahead, even without MORE.

Szark

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2008, 08:44 am 
Send private message  WWW  Profile

This is wonderful news and makes me very glad, for it will allow new additions to the city region which are so much needed with total continuity of texturing and feeling. Thanks so much Andy for that inquiry and for RAWA and Mark's reply.

Following that line of thougth I am hopeful that "our textures" can apply to all the Cyan Ages and areas so that the new created regions and Ages can benefit from the same continuity in every way possible.

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2008, 09:13 am 

It's worth reading the parallel thread on the GoW forum for further insights into what might be possible:

http://www.guildofwriters.com/phpbb/vie ... =10&t=2422

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2008, 03:14 pm 
Guild Member

KI Number: 140468
Is it all right to post this information on the MOUL forums? I would think so, but thought I should ask first. We could do with some good news over there, well at least some not bad news.

"A seedling does not attempt to replace a tree that went before it. It only seeks to grow."
(D'ni proverb, revealed by RAWA, June 8, 2001)

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2008, 09:23 pm 

I would say 'Yes'.

I posted in The Meeting Place forum a link to this thread and the one on the GoW forum. Someone emailed me to say 'Thanks for posting' -- the good news was welcome, especially the fact that it shows Cyan is definitely still thinking of MORE even though they have had to put it on hold for the time being.