It is currently 22 Jan 2018, 07:18 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: 23 May 2009, 03:17 am 
Guild Member
Send private message  Profile

KI Number: 33949
Alternate Avie: D'Lanor
Nalates wrote:
Having a problem tracking for age issues and another for server issues is probably too confusing for most users. So, I think they have to be rolled together, which means GoMa needs to work with those running a bug tracking system.

I do not understand this comment. GoMa has been running a bug tracking system for a long time. However, I have my doubts about the interest of the community in any bug tracking system. GoMa has requested writers to register for Bugzilla here so that they can get automatic email notifications on incoming bug reports. Sadly the response from both writers and users has been underwhelming. I wonder if Mantis at OpenUru is doing any better.

I guess in the end it is easier to post bugs on forums. As long as issues get picked up from there by age writers as it happens to be the case now I think it is unlikely that people are going to take the trouble to register to a bug tracking system.

PostPosted: 23 May 2009, 09:59 am 
Guild Member

KI Number: 596065
It's going to be a lot more work to upload images to the Wiki than I thought. What I'd really love to see would be a thumbnail in the age list table, one picture in the main age page, and perhaps a separate gallery of multiple screenshots of each age. The problem is that, the way the Wiki is set up now, we can't upload images directly. I understand why that is - server space costs money. I don't have to like it, though. That means we can't use tags to set pictures as thumbnails, add borders, captions, etc. Everything has to be done personally in photoshop and then re-uploaded to a site like Photobucket, and the pictures embedded from there. And I'm sure we're up to it. (Right, guys? :8 )

For the time being we can 'borrow' pics from Alcugs and GoW (with proper credit given, of course). Eventually we should probably take our own snapshots, just to avoid stepping on any toes.

Nalates, would it be all right if we included GoC maps in the wiki? I think this would help inspections, as maintainers could refer to the grid reference where a given bug occurs. (And it would be really cool. 8-) ) How many maps are there? (Meaning fan age maps, not Cyan maps.) I didn't see any when I was snooping around your forums the other day, but then I wasn't looking too hard.

@Dustin: Where do you think I got all my descriptions from? ;) Like Dot says, I don't think we are, or should be, 'replacing' Alcugs. Quite the contrary - I for one am very grateful for their generous efforts. However, I see no reason to deliberately withhold information from the community which might be of use. There are a lot of very clueless people around, and our websites can be very opaque to the uninitiated. Every effort would of course be made to avoid duplication (i.e.-no walkthroughs, that's not our job), but I think we have been really neglecting our Wiki, and this is a chance to bring it up to the high standard set by Alcugs and the GoW.

On a lighter and hopefully less provocative note, what do y'all think of the table? :) The biggest problem I see is that it will be harder to update - I've modified the help accordingly, but I don't think I did a very good job. Could someone check that out? Also on the to-do list is a more detailled table guide in the help page. One last idea: the 'About the Guild' page is an excellent reference for all of us, but for a complete newcomer, it would be utter gibberish. Perhaps someone could write a 'Welcome' page or suchlike, explaining what exactly we maintain and so forth.

PostPosted: 23 May 2009, 11:45 am 

KI Number: 0
Re Picture storage etc: Ultimately Nyn will be best to answer this one, since she looks after the server.

In the meantime, could you perhaps raise this question in the Wiki section of the Technology Department, since this is more to do with technical set-up than Wiki content? It might be that various solutions are possible, and there might be others who can contribute ideas.

Re About the guild: I agree. The original website included more information on what the different departments do, which would probably make more sense to newcomers.

What if we try discussing how to summarise 'what GoMa is and does' in a separate thread in the General discussion section? I suspect many people are more comfortable in posting to a forum than editing a wiki page, and this way would make sure everyone who wants to contribute an idea can do.

PostPosted: 23 May 2009, 11:56 am 

Okay, in that case, feel free to use the screenshots from the Alcugs wiki, or just link to the page. (I just uploaded the updated geology Age walkthroughs today, too.)

PostPosted: 23 May 2009, 12:09 pm 

Thanks, Dustin! :)

PostPosted: 23 May 2009, 11:45 pm 
Guild Member
Send private message  WWW  Profile

KI Number: 83543
Xindhus, I see no problem with GoMa using the map images from GoC. I requested permission from each of the artists as I got the images. None have a problem as long as the images are free to the community. I modified some of the images to include the artist's name. Any that I could not get permission for or find the artist's name I added a request for those that know the creator to contact them and get me in touch with them. (which worked in most cases) I think we have permission for all the images shown on GoC now.

I started using Flickr because it creates several sizes of image. Makes it very handy for use on my Myst-Uru-SL blog. The gotcha to the free service is that if you 'link' to an image on flickr it must be in a link to flickr. Click the pic goto flick r. So, that might be a problem. But, several free image upload/storage places make the same requirement. Check the ToS and decide what works best for GoMa. I like flickr so far. Being able to use whatever size image fits the page and let the viewer click to a larger image is handy.

There almost no fan age maps. I had to look but all maps are of Cyan ages. While I have loads of images from the fan ages, they are a bit old now, I don't have maps. I did make some orthographic wire frames of some ages so other could make maps.

DLanor, Cyan may have decided on a bug tracking system they like. I don’t know that it won’t be used or that it will. I do see forum threads where bug tracking and code version control are being discussed and various ones being considered. I also doubt just one system will be in use when OS first goes live. All those threads may have come to some consensus and I’ve missed it. But whether there is a single one or multiple I think we (the community and especially GoMa) need to coordinate as best possible because server, client and ages bugs made by fans will all end up in the same tracking system.
---

I think mixing inspection reports by maintainers and fan reports on bugs in the same system will become confusing. So, I think it is a bad idea and GoMa should keep their current system.

We probably need to decide if we will actively support bug-reporting in the forums. I think we would miss lots of reports if we did or it would make a load of extra work. I probably should make sure that everyone understands the bug reports I mean are the ones from playing fans not the inspectors’ reports. Cyan pretty much did that no-forum-support-for-bug-reports with MOUL and fans directed them to the bug tracker when one was reported in the forum. Discussing a bug before reporting to be sure it is a bug in forum makes great since to me.

GoMa Welcome page… When I first came to Uru I was confused by the odd mix of IC/OOC play going on. Current day MMO explorers are likely to be also. Plus the guilds have an ongoing PR problem as people confuse the IC guilds Cyan created in the storyline with OOC guilds the fans created in RL. I think the about/welcome page would be a good place to start correcting that. I’ll make a try at rewriting the page unless someone else wants to do it.

Nalates Urriah is my SL and OSGrid name - MOULagain: Nal KI#oo o83 543 - Nalates KI#111451
Support: Devokan Trust - Myst Style Stories Across Worlds
Support: OpenUru.org - Myst/Uru Open Source Resources

PostPosted: 24 May 2009, 01:56 am 

Can I suggest we split this thread so that the different subtopics can be treated in depth and less confusingly?

So:
Suggestions for uploading and storing images for the wiki: Please start a thread in the Technology Department's GoMa Wiki subforum: viewforum.php?f=27

Bugtracking: Discussions on the various bugtracking systems are best carried on here: viewforum.php?f=127

GoMa welcome page: rather than writing a sample and then asking people to comment on it, could we try inviting people to say what they understand GoMa to be, and then develop the page from that? Something like that happened when the guild was first formed, in developing the mission statement. So thanks for offering, Nalates, but let's keep it open so that everyone can contribute, and any ideas they may have are not pre-empted. I've started a thread here: viewtopic.php?f=131&t=1393

In the meantime, I've added a sentence to the 'About the guild' section about maintainers' main task being to inspect (bug test) ages written by other explorers.

Edit: I've moved this thread to a new subforum area: Guild documentation.

PostPosted: 28 May 2009, 09:40 am 
Guild Member
Send private message  WWW  Profile

KI Number: 83543
On MOUL Jamey came up with the idea of having reviews of the ages carried in the GoMe news. A couple of peeps immediately decided 'that's a job for the GoMe' (said with ceremonious voice). I don't think so. I think it is for those that want to do the work.

Keeping the community active

If people get into this they will need a sign up place for tracking who is reviewing which age and when that is complete. Also, this work could provide the description of the age that I think we would like to have.

Check it out at MOUL. Add your two cents here.

I don't know how to make the table group rows or insert a column in wiki-ese, otherwise I would add the places for these items.

I made a sample layout using the Abysos age. See if that will work.

Nalates Urriah is my SL and OSGrid name - MOULagain: Nal KI#oo o83 543 - Nalates KI#111451
Support: Devokan Trust - Myst Style Stories Across Worlds
Support: OpenUru.org - Myst/Uru Open Source Resources

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2009, 11:30 am 

I've updated the GoMa Wiki list. Dates in bold show new versions on Drizzle compared with the previous list.