Guild of Maintainers Forum

It is currently 21 Jan 2019, 10:08 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: 09 Mar 2013, 10:45 pm 
Send private message  Profile

Building, building, building, building. That's what I like to do ;) . I just got off the phone after a two hour game discussion with my son. We are making progress and learning more and more about what needs done and how to do it. We now have an 11 year old girl joining our team. I hope my grandson doesn't get jealous. He's a builder too :D . My son got him some game that is like a combination of Mario Karts and Little Big Planet that grandson plays on line with his friends. Our little building community is expanding.

My son and I have been doing a bunch of research and having strategy sessions on the next section of our game and this time . . .

He's designed a scene and puzzle that is perfect for multi-players!!!! He's learning too. We're building the section separately in 3dsMax7 so we can take advantage of the additional features. I'm going to finally get the opportunity to dive deeper into my good software to gain another step forward in graphic quality. My studies have taught me how to gain control over the texture size, resolution and export type resulting in having successfully exported high-def graphics via pyPRP1.6 into the offline version and get some modern game type professional techniques working in URU. We have liftoff! Unfortunately for those curious, there's no sense posting screen shots of what we've been able to achieve since it wouldn't show up in a 2d screen shot anyhow.

The good news is that (if there is still a community to share with), we'll be able to share this new section on an online server, though we won't be putting the whole game online. It'll work well as a standalone age. The puzzle idea my son designed is fabulous, I just love it. The best part is that it can be solved by a single player, but it will be much faster and more fun to solve with multiple players. At the same time, the coding for the puzzle is really quite simple.

And . . . here's where I'm super happy. He's developed enough confidence in my ability to build quality work that this time he's going to be drawing and sculpting the graphics and models to help me build them correctly. The puzzle relies heavily on visuals and less on code. I hope hope hope I do a good job, because it's such a great idea. Since we hope to get this section online for others to play with at some point, zero screen shots or spoilers.

But since everyone likes pictures (I know I do), here's a shot to prove that there really are bathrooms in URU. They're just reserved for the priviledged I guess (totally joking):

Ugly Bathroom

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2013, 09:52 am 

KI Number: 0
Wonderful! Even an Avocado suite! (I've smashed a couple of those in my time.) :lol:

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2013, 04:44 pm 
Guild Member
Send private message  WWW  Profile

KI Number: 83543
Taking a long break and then going back can be a shock... that "What was I thinking..." thing bites me when I do that.

Your son is right about people getting better... which leads us to being critical of our past work and unhappy with it. I get over it... but I also trash a lot of old work and often start a project over. Hang in there.

Second Life and then OSGrid will be getting the ability to use normal and specular maps some time this year. That will make for much better looking models in OSGrid. I'm looking forward to that.

For now I am mostly working on avatar clothes and weight painting them. Getting skirts to work when the avatar sits is a problem. I hope to have a model I can use for the basis to start other skirts from.

Nalates Urriah is my SL and OSGrid name - MOULagain: Nal KI#oo o83 543 - Nalates KI#111451
Support: Devokan Trust - Myst Style Stories Across Worlds
Support: OpenUru.org - Myst/Uru Open Source Resources

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2013, 01:57 pm 

Thanks Dot :). There's been nothing quite like the old harvest gold and avocado green themes, has there? That color is very much on purpose and has it's place in the story line.

Nalates wrote:
Taking a long break and then going back can be a shock... that "What was I thinking..." thing bites me when I do that.

Your son is right about people getting better... which leads us to being critical of our past work and unhappy with it. I get over it... but I also trash a lot of old work and often start a project over. Hang in there.

Second Life and then OSGrid will be getting the ability to use normal and specular maps some time this year. That will make for much better looking models in OSGrid. I'm looking forward to that.

For now I am mostly working on avatar clothes and weight painting them. Getting skirts to work when the avatar sits is a problem. I hope to have a model I can use for the basis to start other skirts from.

Nalates, this makes me think of something most people don't realize. We hear talk of "modelers" and people that can make "textures", but the truth is this is a vast and highly complex area of skills. Modeling and texturing attractive clothing that moves with the avatar and looks natural is entirely outside my skill set. And for the life of me, I can't figure out how Dot's team creates those beautiful worlds with nothing more to work with than standard prims and simple textures. I do realize that none of you sat down and learned to do what you're doing in a couple of days, weeks, or even months. You've spent years building the necessary skills to create what you're creating. As I've mentioned before, in the past >2 years that I've been studying age building, I've mostly learned how much I don't know! That reinforces my belief that people that don't innately enjoy the process for the process itself aren't going to stick with it. It's very demanding.

I'll use this screen shot to illustrate just how er . . . easy :roll: , this is:

FortuneTellerMachine

Disclaimer: The fortune teller machine is in a section of our game that we are *not* releasing to the public at large. We are working on something we hope to share, but no spoilers on that ;) .

I found the image of "Zoltor" online and free to use (always take the time to check!). Then I had to turn him into a machine. The frame around Zoltor came from a fireplace for sale somewhere in the UK. The style was what I was looking for, but it was the wrong color and size. I erased what I didn't need from the fireplace image and changed the color to coodinate with Zoltor, then fitted what remained around the original image. After that I went hunting for the base section. I found an image with the rope coil which I liked and again, erased what I didn't need of the image, changed the color and fitted the frame to Zoltor. Then I had to hunt for a beat up metal image for the center of the frame. There wasn't too much to do beyond fitting the fourth image into the texture, then manually inserting the shading to create the image you're looking at.

It was still too bright in the game, so I used the vertex paint function on the model to finish it off to coordinate with the rest of the scene. The model was easy, it's a big rectangle :mrgreen: . There are plans to model Zoltar himself and possibly even animate and code this thing, but that's for some time WAY in the future. I've got my hands full with other things right now.

My big news is that my grandson spent a couple of HOURS playing around in this thing last weekend :P . That's my paycheck. It does beat knitting sweaters and scarves for them!

And once again Dot, congratulations on the recognition your work on Devokan Trust is attracting! I don't know about anyone else, but that impresses the heck out of me. Super work!

edit: grumble, grumble, grumble :evil: . It said "anyone with this link can see the file" - it didn't say anything about needing to sign in. Mumble grumble (want webshots back). New link added, hopefully this time it works.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=2 ... IIOb7dcS58

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2013, 06:36 am 

KI Number: 0
Thanks for adding a working link to the screenshot. That is seriously impressive.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6