Guild of Maintainers Forum

It is currently 21 Jan 2019, 09:49 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Chamassa
PostPosted: 09 Jan 2011, 12:27 pm 
Guild Member
Send private message  Profile

KI Number: 777796
Alternate Avie: Jayden Halliwell (IC Explorer) - 54404
K give me a a few. I'm in the process of exporting. It's been taking 15 minutes each time I export.

Got the library building itself almost ready, just imported the computer and was working on it.

So the new textures for the computer will add a few minutes on to the 15 while it compresses them.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2011, 01:24 pm 
Guild Member

http://phantasmproject.com/downloads/Chamassa2.rar

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2011, 08:51 am 
Guild Member

I'm noticing that the vertex count on that one layer (for the entire Library building) is double that of the entire village.

Edit: Hope I didn't hurt it visually. I went and decimated some of the Library. Cut out 110k vertices from the Library.

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2011, 01:18 pm 

KI Number: 37681
Alternate Avie: Andy Legate ....... uhm.......
Sorry that I haven't been able to sit and look. The server move, then the weather, and then my power kept flickering so I had to shut down. Seems stable now, I'll try to see what I can.

My Navy Brag Page

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2011, 02:38 pm 

Okay, you changed the textures: check.
You turned off ShadBuf: check.

But, your models there still have double vertices. I just had Blender remove over 2000 on one of your rails in the Library.

So I'm going to go through all your models, and make sure all the double verticies are removed and then see how it exports.

My Navy Brag Page

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2011, 04:16 pm 

Okay, had it crash on me twice during export. first time was running out of memory.

2nd time was further down.

Now (sorry it's taking so long, but it's taking so long to export, heh), I've got some suspicions about something. I'm going to look at it and try to export again. I'll be back.

My Navy Brag Page

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2011, 06:21 pm 

Okay, so I got it to export with no crashes......but only after deleting your library (but I left the fancy computer system in).

Their is something I'm working on, and this is something you need keep in mind:

Bounds.

Rule of thumb for Writers is: Do not put Bounds on any of your rendered objects.

The reason for this is because you are basically asking the Plasma engine to do things twice, and when you start getting into very complex objects, that's a lot of work.

Now I don't always follow that rule. Like my terrains that the player will walk on, most of the time I do turn Bounds on for them (well in Max it's called assigning a Physics component).
But like if I have stairs, I will put in a ramp that's not visible, and that's what has the bounds turn on.

You had Bounds turned on all those very, very complex meshes in your library (and on your computer too). That's a big no-no.
Instead, put simple, invisible colliders in there. Like a simple cylinder around the columns. A spiral ramp for the stairs, and definately use like flat planes on those fancy rails up on the 2nd floor. Also for the walls, around the fireplace. Avoid using Bounds on any of those objects.
Same goes for the computer system. Turn the bounds off on everything there, and use some simple geometry for colliders.

Okay, so I'm really trying to figure out what in your library is causing this (and the bounds didn't help I don't think). But it looked like I didn't get them all turned off. So I'm going to go back over it again. I just wanted to give you an update.

My Navy Brag Page

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2011, 07:35 pm 

Okay, success!

Took 12 minutes for it to export. But it did so without crashing.

Reason? Because I deleted your balcony rails that run around the 2nd floor of your library.

As you know, in Uru, we cheat a lot. The rails down at the Ferry Terminal are actually simple plane meshes with a texture on them to make them look like they are decorative railings.
Most of the models in all of Uru are no where near as detailed as those models for your library, or that computer. The details come from the textures.
The reason for this is: low poly models with detailed textures will perform better and smoother in Plasma than high poly models with base textures.

Now, I'll let you in on what I did: I imported your blend file into Max. Slapped a bunch of simple textures on everything (and no, not the correct ones, like one of the walls looks like grass).
Now MAX and Cyan's Plugin, exported your Age just fine, rails and all.

So why does it export fine in Max with Cyan's plugin, but not Blender and the GoW Plugin?

I have no idea. It might have to do with the fact that the GoW plugin is all python, but Cyan's plugin isn't. It might be because of how the GoW plugin is trying to make the prp files, compared to how Cyan's plugin does it.

I really don't know. However I can recommend that, if you keep using Blender and the GoW plugin, that you keep your models a bit less detailed (no more than like the rails for the spiral stairs) and depend on the textures more.

My Navy Brag Page

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2011, 07:50 pm 
Guild Member

Yeah Andy I kinda had already figured it was the Library, hence why I was decimating it. After I removed 110k of vertices it finally exported for me also. I just hope that when I finally load it in Uru it doesn't look like ****.

Last edited by IBrattin on 10 Jan 2011, 08:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2011, 08:03 pm 

See, that's why I swear by Cyan's plugin.

For may meshes that look rough and need to be smooth, I'll use the "Smooth" modifier in the modifier tab (like autosmooth in Blender).

But ALSO, one of the Plasma Components you can assign to your objects is: Smoothing. Works wonders! I don't know how to do that with the GoW plugin, or if it's supported with the current version.
But it does work! The mesh looks rough in the 3D scene, but when I export and link in, Plasma smooths it out really well.

Also, I think Max's "Optimize" modifier works a lot better than Blenders decimations.

My Navy Brag Page

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next