Guild of Maintainers Forum

It is currently 22 Mar 2019, 07:44 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Chamassa
PostPosted: 11 Mar 2010, 06:06 pm 
Guild Member
Send private message  Profile

KI Number: 82165
Alternate Avie: Ji'shin
IBrattin, I first want to compliment you all the heck and back for your lovely architecture. The village is cute, the stronghold is powerful and intimidating, and the library(?) is also well-designed. I really like the feel of Chamassa -- it reminds me of a Nordic skiing village, complete with mountain.

I did find some bugs. But really, the biggest problem I had in your lovely Age was that the camera angles just weren't working. Every time I'd walk up to a door and turn around, boom, the camera would swing into the unused part of the building, and all I'd see was grey. And the camera would stay there for a while even after I'd step away from the building. This made navigating in the close alleyways and around the buildings especially difficult.
Spoiler:

I love -- LOVE! being able to run around on your rooftops. Kudos!
Spoiler:
Image\

I kept trying to figure out why every time I came through this area, the Age lagged. I think, after looking from the area you'll see in the second picture, that the problem is actually the windmill. Every time I'm pointed at it, the Age slows down. Not a lot, but enough to be noticeable. You might want to try doing the windmill blades with transparent textures instead of modeling them. And I do think it's the windmill -- I don't seem to lag near the tree.
Spoiler:

Speaking of textures -- I know the Age is still under construction, so I'm not going to bug you about the textures outside the city. I'm sure you haven't gotten to fixing all of those yet. But I found a couple spots on the stairways in the city where it looks like the bricks are sideways. Since not all of the stairways are like that, and the rest of the paving looks normal, I'm guessing you just missed these.
Spoiler:

Are you intending to do more modeling on the ground back here? I'd guess yes? These big steep rises are hard to navigate and not always jumpable.
Spoiler:

The leaves on the tree need a transparency in their texture.
Spoiler:

I found out the hard way that the railings on the porch are not all solid. Ow! ;) The long sides are solid, but all the short panels can be walked through.
Spoiler:

Is the library-thing supposed to have really thick windows? This is something else you can do with a partially transparent texture on a plane, instead of using cubes.
Spoiler:

I'm King of the Mountain! ... Well, I wish I was. This is about as far up as you can get. I have a feature request, please. I'd like to be able to climb the mountain. Why put a big mountain in there if you can't climb it? :D
Spoiler:

But I *AM* King of the Big Rock Wall. Wahaha! I'm guessing I'm not supposed to be able to get up here? You may want to add a collision plane to keep people down if they're not supposed to get further up.
Spoiler:

Well ... it's all downhill from here. :D So I went out the other side of the rock wall and wandered around a bit. I was surprised there was more stuff modeled back there. Are you planning on allowing people to explore back there? If not, you may want to trim out those excess polygons.

Anyway -- so I followed your ice plane out to your sky dome, and walked through your sky dome.
Spoiler:

And hit another floor?
Spoiler:

So I walked back towards the city, figuring I'd see what I could see. Well, mostly what I saw was this big hole you see below. Which, ya know, me being a crazy extreme explorer type, I jumped in. :D And after several seconds, fell out the bottom of the Age and linked back to Relto.
Spoiler:

Really enjoyed the tour around Chamassa! I look forward to seeing what else you have planned for it. Do you have any puzzle ideas in mind? I'd guess there's something brewing with the generator and the windmill.

Post subject: Re: Chamassa
PostPosted: 12 Mar 2010, 08:21 am 
Guild Member

KI Number: 777796
Alternate Avie: Jayden Halliwell (IC Explorer) - 54404
Camera Regions have not been implemented yet. Though in Open Spaces, such as the village, not sure how to get it to follow properly without hanging up behind walls. I will have to look at it though.

Hmm I don't lag in Chamassa so I didn't notice. I will see what can be done, if I have to will re-model it.

I didn't think I had collision on the roofs, but if you found a way to jump from up top of the wall onto the roofs its probably a good thing they are.

Behind the library I have yet to decide what I want to do there, if anything. And I know some of the hills are not jumpable. Once I decide what I want to do I will probably correct that.

Personally I like them like that. Though I think I have collision turned on, and that needs to be off so your not hitting the trees when you walk back there.

I thought I had fixed all the railings, dang.

I had originally wanted to make the top of the volcano reachable, In fact an earlier model was reachable. This one however would require some kind of stairs to reach the top. Way its modeled now a path could not be cut into it. Of course then I would have to re-institute the panic link, no way out of the volcano once you sacrifice yourself.

On the Cliff Walls, I took out the collider as I thought it would be enough of an obstacle. I thought the cliff walls were straight up and down enough, guess I was wrong. Will see what can be done.

I tried a smaller skydome and it actually with the size of the Volcano and the Tower it would be too small. There might be a little room for adjustment, I will see.

You hit the bottom of the skydome, I don't remember giving it collision, must have though. Must have done it in an earlier version to keep people from running out of the world.

That big hole is the bottom of the skydome, not sure why its not textured like the rest, but since people aren't supposed to be there thats not a problem.

Hey if you looked up at the city from down there you would have seen the tower is completely hollow. Because the interior has yet to be modelled.

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2010, 10:26 am 
Guild Member

KI Number: 82165
Alternate Avie: Ji'shin
You may not have collision on all the roofs. I only spot-tested them. I'll go back through and check them all later. (It's not hard to jump from the wall to the roofs, by the way -- just get on top of the wall, then jump over.)

Ah, is it actually a volcano? Are you planning on putting lights/fire inside? Cool! I thought it was just a snowcapped mountain.

Anyway, let me explain why I asked about the mountain. I love making marker missions (and other people seem to like playing mine), so I always think about where I'd try to put markers when I'm inspecting an Age, and try to get to really difficult-to-reach places. One of the big obvious choices is on top of the mountain! But I can't get there. It's totally up to you what you want to do with it, of course -- I just like to encourage people to make as many places climbable and jumpable as possible, because it adds to the play value of the Age outside of checking out the pretty scenery and solving the puzzles.

I don't think you need to resize the skydome -- I think it's fine. I think what you might want to do is: if you can't see part of the ice plane or the rock wall from anywhere inside the rock wall (and that may change depending on if you change the volcano), you can delete those parts you can't see.

I did notice that the tower was hollow! I am looking forward to seeing what you build in there. (:

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2010, 11:11 am 
Guild Member

Vers. 2.5 is now available. You can get it here.

Only additions are two linking books (one in the library, the other across from where you link in) and a journal.

I am debating formatting the journal differently. If you look at phantasmproject.com/blog you will see I have everything broken up into times. In the in game journal its only broken up into days which makes most entries a couple pages long. What do you all think should it be broken up by time for the in game journal or left as is?

I messed around a little with the ground texture for Library Island. It still needs some work.

Anyways that is the only things worked on this go around. I will see about addressing Jishin's notes for Vers. 3 for the next release.

Not sure when this will be on Drizzle as Dustin is on vacation. I read over at GoW that Wolle was adding them in Dustin's absence or at least he added the recent one, not sure if that is a standing thing till Dustin gets back or not.

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2010, 05:45 pm 
Guild Member

I was looking at releasing a version 3 in the next few days, have addressed some of Jishin's notes as well as adding new things.

But my computer has decided to start hiccuping again, shutting down unexpectedly with the power led light blinking afterwards.

I downloaded a windows memory diagnostic and ran it, and it found nothing wrong with the ram. I have HD diagnostics and for the most part they found nothing either. If either of those are failing they sure not leaving behind any telltale signs. The only thing I can think of is it is the PSU. I ordered a new one a few weeks ago. Back when it did this before, after reseating the memory I got a week of no hiccups, and had yet to install it. Looks like may have to.

As soon as my computer is stable again, I will finish up work on version 3 and release it. Hopefully it will be only an extra day or two wait.

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2010, 08:55 pm 
Guild Member

And it looks like everything has come to an end. It appears all of the files for all of my ages that I have been working, including textures and models has completely vanished into thin air. Everything is gone; even Aquh, Yaeviev, Taygahn, Chamassa's files.

And I believe I know exactly how it happened, I was reinstalling Java (having problems with Drizzle) and I noticed something disappeared off my desktop. I didn't think too much of it at the time. Just now I went to looking for my age stuff intending to work on Chamassa a little before bed, and found it all missing.

Some of the stuff is sitting in 3DS Max 2009 export directory but there is a lot that is completely gone. The Library building is completely gone. Only place the model for it existed was in the directory that has vanished.

PostPosted: 18 May 2010, 11:33 am 

KI Number: 0
Hi Guys

Does anyone know of a good "fire and smoke" tutorial for Blender. I need to create a campfire of sorts for POTS.

Any links and help would really be appreciated.

Thanks

Phoenix

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2011, 09:10 pm 
Guild Member

Its been awhile since my last release. For awhile I had thought I had lost everything due to some problems with a virus. Luckily I was wrong.

Still I have made a few changes to it. Gone is the rock wall surrounding the islands. Now the islands sit inside a cove. The granary turned library (what is the library on island two) is now becoming simply a house. A new library is being added. I am not sure if the last release had Stonehenge or not. The next release will have a pyramid, if you have ever seen Palenque then you can imagine what it will look like.

Lastly a new journal will eventually be added, one detailing the story of Chamassa. A sneak peak at that story. The race that originally inhabited Chamassa were called the Ta`Yawha. The even named their world after themselves. Jayden (the IC Explorer that wrote the age) called it Chamassa, after a catastrophe befell the Ta`Yawha. In the Ta`Yawha language Chamassa means death.

Attachments:
File comment: The Sky
Chamassa2.jpg
Chamassa2.jpg [ 188.35 KiB | Viewed 6591 times ]
File comment: The Cove
Chamassa.jpg
Chamassa.jpg [ 246.59 KiB | Viewed 6591 times ]

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2011, 10:22 pm 
Guild Member

Arg!!!!!! :cry: :x

I am hitting a brick wall here. For the last couple days I have been getting a memory error.

http://forum.guildofwriters.com/viewtop ... 969#p49967
http://forum.guildofwriters.com/viewtop ... 969#p49969

I pretty sure it has something to do with the new library, but I am not exactly sure what. I have had to scrap stuff in the past cause of a memory error. I really don't want to scrap the new library because of it also.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2011, 05:20 am 

KI Number: 37681
Alternate Avie: Andy Legate ....... uhm.......
You could zip up your Blend file (make sure you have the textures), and let me see if I can export it. If I can't and get the same error as you, I can try to figure out what is causing it for you.

My Navy Brag Page

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next