Guild of Maintainers Forum

It is currently 22 Mar 2019, 08:12 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Anybody out there....?
PostPosted: 10 Sep 2012, 12:34 am 
Guild Member
Send private message  Profile

KI Number: 0
Can anyone tell me what the current status of the GoMa is?

Does anyone post anything anymore?

Does anyone do any Maintaining anymore?

Does anyone read this?

I try to log in and see any new postings at least a couple of times a day and have not seen anything for quite a while and was wondering what is going on (in case I have missed something).

Anyone...?

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2012, 05:03 am 
Guild Member

Hi BniRabbit,
I log on every day to see if anything is happening myself. One problem is that there are hardly any new ages to explore. There has been very little activity in that respect. The only thing that is going on is in the Guild Of Writers with the Gehn shard, The Di shard and the Minikata shard. But still no new ages.

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2012, 07:03 am 

All we can do is patently wait and continuously skulk the forums looking for something new, I have my eyes pealed...

EDIT though there is a NEW MYST/Riven game called The Five Cores and it will be launched on 12 Sep 2012

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2012, 03:12 am 

I'm keeping an eye on the forum too.

Though, to be honest, I have moved on from seeing Uru in its current incarnation as the be-all and end-all for my own efforts. There are many other 3D worlds out there, some of which are far easier and more rewarding for story and environment development, and for sharing with others.

Various community groups are out there too, often maintaining intersections with the Cavern (for example, the Guild of Healers).

If you want to restart the maintainers as an ingame group, do feel free, but don't expect an easy ride.

I had fun here and enjoyed working with friends -- but I have moved on, and so have many others.

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2012, 10:54 am 
Guild Member
Send private message  WWW  Profile

KI Number: 83543
Unfortunately drama and long development times have taken their toll on Uru Live.

Getting the open source code into a usable form for those wanting to build ages and get them on a server is taking a long time. There is also the question of how a possible Myst Movie will affect the online game. Movie moguls like the merchandising aspects of new franchises. Such a franchise could strongly affect the open source side of Uru Live.

Like Dot, many of us have moved on. Our love of Myst has not died but the passion has cooled some. While we watch the forums, many of us have little to say.

Learning to build ages for Uru is a challenge and a big byte. The quality of the visuals, story, and puzzles that Cyan set made a high bar. Learning to build 3D worlds of that quality is not small undertaking. For Uru it is pretty much a one big bite thing.

Other worlds are easier to build for... or at least broken into smaller bites of learning and accomplishment. Second Life and OpenSim are both getting more and more professional tools for modeling 3D worlds. People start in SL & OS with building as simple as Minecraft's. This year we will see a materials system added to SL & OS, making it very nearly as complete as the Uru building. Unreal and Unity are providing low to no cost tools for building worlds that are high quality game engines. Cloud Party (see Facebook) is developing a Second Life like virtual world with many features of professional 3D world modeling (in alpha).

The result is many are learning to build in other worlds. It is very possible that they will come back to contribute to Uru Live at some point. That is my hope. But, for now, Uru is a rather sleepy game with little happening.

Nalates Urriah is my SL and OSGrid name - MOULagain: Nal KI#oo o83 543 - Nalates KI#111451
Support: Devokan Trust - Myst Style Stories Across Worlds
Support: OpenUru.org - Myst/Uru Open Source Resources

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2012, 10:35 am 

I´m still here, lurking as always. Not very active at the moment, but maybe changing that in the future.
Still can´t let go URU, and don´t want to.

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2012, 07:29 pm 
Guild Member

KI Number: 15763576
Alternate Avie: d.tierce
Ditto!

This Post Inspected by: Maintainer #164

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2012, 04:13 pm 
Guild Member

I'm still active... in a way.

I'm not the formal type so do not expect me to write a Maintainer's report on an age in here. I just go with the flow, on how I feel.

Recently, I've been testing Minkata.71 and the latest fan age available, Iceworld. I made my reports on OpenUru.org's forum and GoW's forum.

If there's change on Gehn shard, expect me to go there as well.

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2012, 12:53 am 

I'm still around. I watch everything.

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2012, 10:03 pm 
Guild Member

KI Number: 15763576
Alternate Avie: d.tierce
Still lurking after all these years. Nowadays, I only check this site once a week.

I've considering plunging into the realm of age-building, but I'd prefer to do that in a way that doesn't exclude it from a CWE environment once it is sufficiently polished. Maybe someday...

David Tierce

This Post Inspected by: Maintainer #164