Guild of Maintainers Forum

It is currently 22 Mar 2019, 07:41 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Guild Server/Client Plan
PostPosted: 03 Dec 2011, 08:00 pm 
Guild Member
Send private message  Profile

First off:

Hi all you lurkers out there, I know it was a sad day when many of us realized our group had fallen into the same trap Uru had of massive content consumption but with a even lower "return" for the level of content used. There is some hope however.

second:

Open source..... It's the big wonderful and amazing hope of the fans.....but from what I've seen since may everyone with the skills to help that are walking fairly briskly towards reestablishing the old Until Uru model of seperate but equal servers and a selector on the login to choose the server you want. I did raise the question a while back of grouping several moss servers together and it is possible but people are fairly worried about things like security and shared encryption keys.

I've almost got my first alpha version of the client compiled so I thought I'd toss out this message in a bottle as it were since it's going to take some time for lurking maintainers to see it and some time for me to get to the point of taking things live even in a beta way.

The main idea:

I had a fairly massive idea a couple months back. Until Uru Failed and it's seperate but equal model is deeply flawed. However you cut it the old UU format seperated the community out among many small single group themed servers. If one server is popular it can't help but take away from the general population of the other servers. It's even worse right now because Cyan is in the mix because your also taking people from them. Yeah the cyan server is pretty dull but hey walking away cuts many possible donations and then there goes the cavern.

What I'm setting my sights on is something that plays fair by Cyan, has one login, and straddles the gap between Cyan's and another server. I'm crazy right?

Any how aside from the bad pun I really didn't see until about a month in working towards the "Dual Registry Client" it feels like the next best thing to Cyan issuing a binary that is already linked to their servers.

The Maintainers:

Guys I know I'm not understating it this when I say I know this is going to be a massively difficult task but it's worth it to me to try even though Cyan could squash it easily since it touches their servers. Its a chance at a online home for us in cyan's cavern "sort of" that we can effect in all the ways we never could because cyan couldn't afford to. Its a chance at a purpose for us because I've found a giant brass ring that everyone should be gunning for but nobody in the open source community has ever confessed on a forum as wanting to reach for. It's a impossible task but it fits the mythos of the Maintainers, it's largely child's play to actually "do", and almost every single "age" creator is going to be screaming in outrage over because it's the one thing they never ever though anyone would do especially to their work.

Small changes constantly.

It's the oldest motto of Uru that died so long ago most people never know now that that was the original promise that took Uru from a static adventure game to a living and breathing mmo world. It's become accepted and the norm over the last decade of Uru that every age is "protected" unchangeable except by its author, a world where all you can imagine is all you will ever see change.

My hope and plan for the Maintainers is to take the collected "fan ages" and first do what should of been done long ago. They need to be "out there" in the cavern collectible not just there on the shelf waiting. Figuring out where the ages belong is something anyone can do and one person on the back end could reasonably setup once places are picked. past that we need to show people it's not big and scary that the maintainers are their safety net keeping their ages safe while providing a place for mod stuff every other game takes for granite. There are so many ways people could do. little things well below becoming a blender master that people could do that would leave them with a warm fuzzy "I did that" glow that's impossible because that's just how uru is setup right now.

A bit of a ramble but that's the general idea of what I'm up to, hope it gets people thinking.

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2011, 10:55 pm 
Guild Member
Send private message  WWW  Profile

KI Number: 83543
Yeah, it takes some time for us to see it.

After reading the ramble I'm still not sure what you are planning.

There are social reasons the UU era had many servers other than just because they could. Nor was it a period of serenity, peace, and cooperation. In this incarnation I doubt everyone is going to be suddenly harmonious and cooperate.

If GoMa folks want to put something together, they will do it. To rally them/us you need to be clear.

...or it could just be I'm missing your point.

Nalates Urriah is my SL and OSGrid name - MOULagain: Nal KI#oo o83 543 - Nalates KI#111451
Support: Devokan Trust - Myst Style Stories Across Worlds
Support: OpenUru.org - Myst/Uru Open Source Resources

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2011, 07:34 am 
Guild Member

KI Number: 33949
Alternate Avie: D'Lanor
It sounds to me like the old MORE scenario. Specifically the part about front end shards which host their own content.

However, this needs to be implemented in Cyan's server code. So unless Cyan already added support for these intended front end shards in the past it is not likely to happen any time soon.

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2012, 01:24 am 
Guild Member

Four versions and almost a years worth of weekend tinkering but the clients compiled.

@ Nalates

Quote:
Nor was it a period of serenity, peace, and cooperation

:lol: <LAUGHTER> :lol: For the massive Uru understatement of the decade we have for you this fabulous cash prize....
Err Uhh Sorry the vault seems to have been emptied..... Here have a Butterfly instead. :D

As Dlanor said what I have planned does sound a lot like the old MORE concept, probably because I was hip deep in that project back in the day. While I honor Cyan for the enjoyment Uru and the MYST franchise in general has given me over the years; Cyan who rightly would like to earn a paycheck if spending lots of time and money on this really doesn't figure in.

I'll post more as I start playing with the fun stuff, and bug testing it to make sure it works, but.... I see a way to really bring Uru's Server setup up a notch (while transparent to Cyan's Servers), and more importantly something for my Guild to do that has nothing to do with Bug Testing Age's.

Nite all....er good morning all .....(when did it become 2:30 in the morning?)

PostPosted: 06 May 2012, 07:49 am 
Guild Member
Send private message  WWW  Profile

KI Number: 83543
Nice butterfly... Thx.

Nalates Urriah is my SL and OSGrid name - MOULagain: Nal KI#oo o83 543 - Nalates KI#111451
Support: Devokan Trust - Myst Style Stories Across Worlds
Support: OpenUru.org - Myst/Uru Open Source Resources

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2012, 11:52 am 
Guild Member

Okay aside from a squeaky month where I was having trouble keeping the lights on I've been keeping busy.

Zero Errors / Zero Warnings on Plasma
It might have taken me a year of slowly working through all of it and six major restarts/versions but it is so much easier now to concentrate on the things that have gone terribly wrong in a project. Don't know about Open Uru or the Writers but Plasma in my opinion was next to unusable with a decades worth of warnings covering up anything your doing "now" in Plasma.

I'm Using Plasma
Doing a job properly is so freaking slow....... I know I am taking a completely different track then all of the other Dev's working with Plasma but hey that's me. :D

At the moment I am putting together a Demonstration Project that uses Plasma.

That is to say I am trying to build a simple DirectX project of my very own out of the Plasma files. The purpose of this is to create a simpler "test client" separate from the default Plasma plClient project. Once it works I can slowly pull in features from the Plasma Engine files and push back any modifications I make once I know they work. The end result of this "test client" project is going to be Complete Chronicles; The "test client" will be a fully featured offline video game.

Fun Stuff
As you can imagine I have been seriously bored this last year relearning c++ and chasing obscure programming things all in the hope of getting the Plasma Engine to the point of being able to use it. Even the short list of features I want to work on is ridiculous.

"Test Client" Project One : FXAA
FXAA is Nvidia's latest and greatest version of "AA" with arguably 1/5th the system requirements of the current "AA" system in the Plasma Engine. If I do it right and it works I'll have made something with Plasma that looks and acts exactly like Nvidia's FXAA Demo. This is of course a marginal achievement but "old feature" + "Drop in Replacement" = "Obvious Upgrade"......

There are nine or ten other items on my to-do list that range across many topics (Day/Night Cycle, procedural landscaping, Newest version of PhysX, Nvidia Apex kit (Hair/Clothing/Destructible), and several more that are a bit less friendly to toss names out for like DirectX model instancing, and CUDA.)

As I accomplish things I'll post about them, the more spectacular stuff will probably get youtube videos and cross posted to the moul creative forum. Hey I'm not above wanting to tease people; If I get the Apex kit running I am going to be using Uru locations when I show it off. :lol:

More Later.

P.S. The "Fun Stuff" is just side projects I can now do because my base work on Plasma is finished. My two main goals are a multi-platform game server, and a Custom Edition of Blender.

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2012, 12:34 pm 
Guild Member

Happy holidays, and sorry for the long silence. <life you know>

Anyhow bit o' news for ya'.

The client and engine fork I've been working on are done. :mrgreen: Also decided to codename the client "Mclient" for obvious reasons, not to original I'll admit but it has a nice appeal. Version One of the Client is just moul standard but it is tested every which way I can figure to walk through the code up to the HTTP calls going out to the server and nothing fails. So I am calling it done.

I am now moving on to stage two of my project.

As the existing fan servers don't do exactly what I want and it would take me way to long to get up to speed in Linux anyway I am writing a windows server set.

Yes I am still a bit nuts probably. :roll:

Writing it in Erlang so if I can get it finished all any one will have to do is recompile using their os and be able to run a home server on what ever spare box they have. Also at the same time since it is so inherently tied up in the networking layer; Along with the KI being the number one broken feature complaint, I am designing a full rewrite of the KI codebase. Figured it would be easy enough since I am writing a new chat server, and so far it is actually going pretty well considering how little time I have to actually work on it.

Big question guys...........

I really hate python with a passion, do you think anyone would freak if I dumped it and rewrote the engine script interface against erlang? Python has always been a bit "insecure" historically in uru and with what I am learning from the chat server it shouldn't be to much harder to dump python from the rest of the system.

Hope to have more news in the coming month if I can get the game server working on when ai will bring my project out of hiding. Bit for now here's the rough feature list for the server set.

1. 1000 concurrent players - Erlang is setup by default to take a 1000 connections to a vm so I'm running with it.
2. Distributed Vault Database - Yes there are a lot of design considerations and no some things will most defiantly not be shared, but it solves a major issue. If you store the clothing choices for anyone on your friends list, and say the most recent 300 people you have bumped into that can really speed up level loading.
3. Distrust the clients - A built in feature in the server design everything is following erlang failsafe design. I want it easily recoverable if someone tries something stupid, and the gold standard even if someone did manage a exploit against another player no global tomfoolery.
4. SMTP - the ingame mail system is broken, or was last time I could login. Messages should not be stored on the main server editable like they are a whiteboard document by everyone ot was sent to. The mail system needs to be more simple mail transfer protocol of store send and delete. (this ties into a lot of other design decisions)
5. Dataserver is a distributed erlang database - There are a lot of security issues that I am working on but failsafe design means loading from the dataserver becomes a lot more peer 2 peer in a good way.
6 local server option- more design decisions but but it is the last level of fail safe and a handy play option.
7. Erlang parallel design - best example load sharing. Server 1 hits capacity but has the address of server 2 run by a friend and it is empty. Server 2 gets the help sos message and starts offering service to server 1 making server 1 into a 2000 capacity server.

Thanks to Joe Armstrong the basic versions of all this are already out there Im just stiching it together and adding the specifics.

Later guys and happy holidays.