Guild of Maintainers Forum

It is currently 22 Mar 2019, 07:42 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Re: FCAL Revisited
PostPosted: 13 Apr 2011, 01:11 pm 
Send private message  Profile

KI Number: 4826
Alternate Avie: Mac
Well, the way I see it is that people have been creating and distributing fan ages for some time, so there's some implicit "license" in all of that even if it's not been expressed anywhere: It might be that the creator has thought of it like "Here it is, feel free to share it, but it's mine and I hold the source files", and that would seem pretty reasonable to me. It's also not far from the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs, so in other words it should be relatively easy for folks to find a license that suits the way they want to see their work used.

PostPosted: 25 May 2011, 12:44 pm 

KI Number: 235904
*me blows the dust off his GoMa forum account*

Sorry about the resurrection of this thread - just received a link to it as reference (thanks, Dot!) - but I had a couple questions:

1. Although you may not be able to talk about it in any detail, is there now a possible means to submit ages (in Max format) for inclusion on the MOUL:a servers?

2. If there is a current effort to write a MAX plugin to import older ages (in either Blender or URU:CC format), can you provide more details?

MOULa KI# 1299

PostPosted: 26 May 2011, 07:40 pm 

KI Number: 37681
Alternate Avie: Andy Legate ....... uhm.......
Robert The Rebuilder wrote:
*me blows the dust off his GoMa forum account*

Sorry about the resurrection of this thread - just received a link to it as reference (thanks, Dot!) - but I had a couple questions:

1. Although you may not be able to talk about it in any detail, is there now a possible means to submit ages (in Max format) for inclusion on the MOUL:a servers?

Not at this time, however, I have it on good authority that a pipeline is trying to be figured out (but then there are some folks who may or may not believe me on this, but that is the word I heard)

Robert The Rebuilder wrote:
2. If there is a current effort to write a MAX plugin to import older ages (in either Blender or URU:CC format), can you provide more details?

I do not know of any thing that has been made, nor if there is anything being worked on to do that, however, I can tell you that with a bit of effort and some work, it can be done.

Having the Blend file of the Age in question is preferred, but not absolutely required. If you can import an age into Blender (using the special importer scripts and Blender 2.45), you can save it and have all the meshes, materials, and UV mapping.
If the Blend file is available, you'll be able to see the animations and ALCscript, however neither of these will be exported into Max, but they are good reference.

Next, you'll need to export from Blender, all the objects in the Age as .fbx format (you can do the whole age like this, but I would recommend doing groups and parts of the Age, to make keeping track of things easier).
Once exported in FBX format, the .fbx file needs to be converted to a different .fbx version in order to import it into Max 7.0.
After it has been converted, you can now import the age into Max 7.0

You'll need to re-apply all the materials, but the UV mapping of each object will be there. All that is needed after that is to apply the "wiring" of the Age (all the plasma components, as there is no way to import the ALCscripting).

I wrote a tutorial on how to do this:

http://dusty.homeunix.net/wiki/Importin ... cts_To_Max

There are links to the tools and plugins you'll need.

Granted it would be easier if there was some one step conversion, but there are none that I know of at this time.

Like I said, a lot of work, but worth it if you want to use Max and don't want to start your age over again from scratch.

My Navy Brag Page