It is currently 20 Nov 2017, 04:58 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Forum Watch
PostPosted: 20 Sep 2008, 12:45 pm 
Guild Member
Send private message  Profile

KI Number: 140468
Shorah Maintainers!

In an effort to better "serve the community" we would like to start a new project designed to provide as much information about our Guild as possible to those who want it. We would like to have a few people "forum watch" the various MOUL/MORE forums that are a part of this community and let us know when someone has a question about who we are or what we do. We are thinking particularly of the non-English speaking (or at least English isn't their primary language) forums. However, we first need a list of the forums that we all visit. So post the MOUL/MORE forums that you frequent and I'll add them to the list.

MOUL/MORE forums
MOUL
Uru Obsession
Ubisoft Myst Italian Forum
MOUL Italian Forum
Il Quartiere

"A seedling does not attempt to replace a tree that went before it. It only seeks to grow."
(D'ni proverb, revealed by RAWA, June 8, 2001)

Post subject: Re: Forum Watch
PostPosted: 20 Sep 2008, 02:24 pm 
Send private message  WWW  Profile

KI Number: 40217
I'm on the Italian forums everyday so I can keep an eye there.

The bad thing with Italy is that just a few people speak english so the "outside" world is not easy to navigate for them.

What do this job exactly asks me to do?
Just report you on the questions I get about GoMa? Do I answer the questions (as I've always done) or do I wait for a reply from you?

Side note: Shouldn't this Project be moved on the Communication Dept?

Italian Forums I visit:
Ubisoft Myst Italian Forum
MOUL Italian Forum
Il Quartiere

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2008, 02:45 pm 
Guild Member

KI Number: 140468
I think we're going to setup a subform for reporting the various questions, but first we want a list of the sites.

As for where it should be posted: it has to do with communication, but it's also a project, so it could go in either place; I just picked one :D

"A seedling does not attempt to replace a tree that went before it. It only seeks to grow."
(D'ni proverb, revealed by RAWA, June 8, 2001)

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2008, 02:50 pm 

sounds good :D

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2008, 03:21 pm 

KI Number: 0
It's not just about questions either, but also if there is something you think other maintainers may be interested in -- perhaps a link, or a picture, or whatever. And vice versa of course.

For example, Leo some weeks back posted about the personality tests GoMe were looking at on their forum. That interested quite a few of us, and we enjoyed trying them out ourselves.

One motivation for me behind this initiative is to help build up the links and communications between the different forums -- to try to counteract the possible 'fracturing' that Cyan was so concerned about. You might remember the MOUL thread on 'Community and continuity -- minding the gap' back in May (http://www.mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=258702). In the first post I made this comment:

Quote:
This time round we have another set of groups (e.g. the guilds) whose membership intersects with that of the hoods. What difference does this make? Can they help to span the gaps between the different groups?

This could be a way of seeing where those joint memberships are, and using them to strengthen the links between the different groups.

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2008, 05:30 am 

KI Number: 11179950
Frisky and Dot This is a most excellent idea. One that I do everyday for the GoMe. Here is a list of active forums that we put together. It might help. OK I don't have the time to get involved deeply with every forum but in doing my duties, posting the Newsletter and Archiver annoucements, I have become a liaison of sorts. People see me as their contact to the GoMe by de-fault. I don't mind at all and I am quite happy to do so but it would be easier if it was broken down further into bite size chunks like what you are wanting to do here by spreading it out amongst your members.

Personally I am on the look out for news or problems/questions to do with the GoMe and just be there if needed. It surprised me how some of these forums welcomed the inclusion into the community, I always thought they were. I have had no complaints from any one regarding posting on non english sites. Some have asked for it and pointed me to the right place to post.

Good luck with this project, it may help all of us to refine the way we interact with the other forums and groups.
Take care
Szark

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2008, 06:55 am 

Dot wrote:
It's not just about questions either, but also if there is something you think other maintainers may be interested in -- perhaps a link, or a picture, or whatever. And vice versa of course.

So it's just like the Liaison Job :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2008, 07:19 am 

Leonardo wrote:
So it's just like the Liaison Job :mrgreen:

Not quite, Leo. A guild liaison's work involves two guilds, and they are likely to be active in both, so it's quite a demanding role.

What we have in mind here is more when people are visiting their usual forums simply to keep an eye open for things to do with GoMa or that they think GoMa members would be interested in. So it's just a small extension of people's usual browsing habits.

It's a small but useful project for people who want to be more involved in the guild but who feel they don't have time or particular skills for some of the bigger projects.

Szark, what a splendid list -- that is very useful to have. You might want to update the link for the Guild of Maintainers, though. It needs the www in front now.

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2008, 09:54 am 
Guild Member

Good idea this! I would like to involve the DZS, I know they have a section for fan-ages and unreleased ages in their wiki ( I was rather active there with my alter-avvie) and with their expertise in zoology and biology it would be great to have them being active in describing newly discovered plants and critters in fan-ages for UruCC and MORE.
I know they had quite a few members that were active there but not so much in other forums. Nowadays it isn't much activity there, but the mods are still watching out, and there are some quite wellknown names, such as Tweek, Tofer, Rils, semplerfi, Slightperil, SimonBitdiddle, amongst others.
So starting of with someone regularly visiting that forum would be a good start IMO.
:)

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2008, 01:14 pm 

KI Number: 11179950
Quote:
You might want to update the link for the Guild of Maintainers, though. It needs the www in front now
Thanks Dot and Ivy for pointing out some errors, you eagle eyed people. :D Changes have been made.
Take care
Szark