All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Greetings!
PostPosted: 19 Nov 2007, 04:43 pm 
Guild Member
Send private message  Profile

KI Number: 82165
Alternate Avie: Ji'shin
Heya folks!

Just wanted to say hi and thank you again for choosing me for the Creative Department temporary leader. I hope I'll be able to fill the office's needs!

What's going on right now with the Creative Department? Well, we have the Cavern Repair project underway, pending some sort of official OK from Cyan. I'd like to do some brainstorming with everyone on other events, ideas, and RP we can start on while we wait to hear from them.

In terms of IC/roleplay ideas, one name keeps sticking out in my brain as an intriguing place to start: Tetsonot. Definitely Not Safe by anyone's standards. Perhaps we could stage a series of long-term RP expeditions beginning in Negilahn in an attempt to get to the Tetsonot pod and determine what is wrong with it.

I believe Montgomery and MustardJeep had been collaborating on some ideas about receiving an "unsafe" book from the Guild of Writers. This would require some collaboration with the GoW, if they're interested. Monty? MJ? Care to elaborate on this some more?

Some other things that could fall under the Maintainers' responsibility include maintaining and upgrading the Great Zero and the KI, both of which were at least partially the provenance of the Maintainers before D'ni fell. Ideally, I'd love to collaborate with the Cartographers on improving the GZ. With Laxman gone, KI upgrades and improvements are probably going to fall to the wayside unless someone takes action. But ... naturally, this is not something we can achieve on our own, without support from Cyan. I'm hesitant to go poking at this too strongly until we get word from Cyan on the Cavern repairs. Thoughts?

Maintainer Games! Montgomery had some great ideas for those. Any chance I can get you to repost those, Montgomery? I don't want to step on the toes of the D'lympics, but perhaps we can schedule some for later. Or perhaps we can collaborate with the D'lympics crew, if they want help or referees. And I do believe we're interested in participating in the D'lympics as a team ... we should get our roster together.

These are just off the top of my head. I'd love to hear any ideas you folks have for more activities we can create or participate in.

Post subject: Re: Greetings!
PostPosted: 20 Nov 2007, 12:09 am 
Guild Member
Send private message  WWW  Profile

KI Number: 175538
Jishin wrote:
I believe Montgomery and MustardJeep had been collaborating on some ideas about receiving an "unsafe" book from the Guild of Writers. This would require some collaboration with the GoW, if they're interested. Monty? MJ? Care to elaborate on this some more?
MJ and I haven't discussed this in a while, but that was a roleplaying idea where the Writers would create an intentionally flawed Age (flawed as in Written poorly, but programmed perfectly as designed). The storyline idea would be that this Age gets released before it is "approved" by the Maintainers, and the Maintainers tell everyone not to go there because it is dangerous. Naturally, people would flock there. It would appear to be tectonically unstable, or have severe weather patterns, or too much acid in the soil, or something like that. But this idea is really designed for a future in which the guilds are official, and GoW-created Ages are released in the cavern.

I was actually planning to ask Andy (Training) to accompany me to ask the Writer's Guild people formally to help us design a training Age -- something with built in flaws and mistakes, which would be listed. The idea would be to use it as a test for new Inspectors, to give them an idea of what to look for and score them on what percentage of mistakes they find. This is something we could do right now using the ULM.

Jishin wrote:
Maintainer Games! Montgomery had some great ideas for those. Any chance I can get you to repost those, Montgomery? I don't want to step on the toes of the D'lympics, but perhaps we can schedule some for later. Or perhaps we can collaborate with the D'lympics crew, if they want help or referees. And I do believe we're interested in participating in the D'lympics as a team ... we should get our roster together.
OK, you asked for it ....

Montgomery wrote:
This is an idea I originally conceived as a training game for the old Maintainers Guild I tried to start up back in February/March, which eventually became the Guild of Inspectors.

There is a fair amount of structure required as a framework for this game -- framework that was already in place inside the old GoMa: alternate avatars, membership in a common, exclusive hood, and something invented by one of our members, MustardJeep, called Shared Age Instancing.

The idea is simple, but opens up a potential that was never there before. Shared Age Instancing is simply having one explorer sending invites to all of his or her sharable Ages to a select group of people (in our case, our guild, all members of our guild hood). Once done, all members of this select group can now use the Nexus to link to any of these Ages and use them just like the hood instance of the city. Cool, huh?

So I invented a version of Capture the Flag for my guild, where this structure was already set up. But with the disbanding of the original GoMa, this idea was never realized. The concept is sound, but the rules I've come up with need to be tested in real time to find the bugs and loopholes which are undoubtedly there. In rethinking this, I believe we can dispose of the alternate avatars, but all players of all teams will need to be members of the Guild of Maintainers neighborhood, and one member will need to share every shareable Age with every other neighbor (I'd suggest someone who has a second avatar they don't use much, which has all of the available Ages). The only problem with disposing of alternate avatars for the games it that any neighbor who links into the caver during a game-in-progress will show up on the neighborhood-chat, which is where all game communications take place. So, we'll just have to find a way around that.

Here are the rules:

MAINTAINER CAPTURE THE FLAG

Requirements:
Shared Ages
All players belonging to a common neighborhood
2 or more Teams, 4 or more Players per team (all teams must have an equal number of players)
1 Referee

Object:
To be the first team to load 3 KI-images of the opposing team’s "flag" onto the neighborhood imager.

The Flag:
The "flag" is a designated spot in the opposing team's Home Age. To "capture" the flag, a player needs to take a KI-image of the flag-spot containing him/herself, and return with it to the neighborhood without being "shot." Once a player captures the flag, they may not simply link out and return directly to the neighborhood. Instead they must leave the Age via the Age’s Nexus book and from the Nexus link directly to the neighborhood. Since the “flag” can only be in one place at a time, whoever captures it must declare over Neighborhood Chat that they have a flag and include which flag they have. This serves to alert all players that the flag is in motion, and prevents any other players from taking additional KI-images of the flag. Any flag returned to the neighborhood without having been announced as captured at the time of capture is invalid.

Being Shot:
Being "shot" means a member of an opposing team takes a KI-image of the player and sends it to both him/her and the referee. When a player has been shot, they must immediately link to their Relto, then directly into the Nexus. If a player is carrying the flag (has a valid KI-image) at the time of being shot, they must delete it, as it is no longer valid. The flag is considered “returned” and must be retrieved by another player. If more than one opposing player is visible in a KI-image “shot,” the shooter must choose only 1. In this case, the shooter must title the KI-image with the name of the player who has been shot.

Insuring Fairness:
Teams are designated with a color. Each player on a given team will wear a t-shirt, jersey, or other clothing of the team's color, but each player must have some unique feature (visible from behind) so players can be told apart in KI-images. This prevents the possibility of one player passing off as their own a KI-image sent to them by another player after having been shot. To prevent a player from keeping a KI-image after being shot and submitting it later, a particular pose (emote) for the flag will be designated at the beginning of the game. Each time a player is shot and the flag “returned,” the referee will announce a new emote over Neighborhood Chat for that particular flag.

The Referee:
Aside from keeping track of the current valid emote for each flag (paper and pencil will prove invaluable), the Referee’s primary job is to monitor the positions of all players (we need a test to confirm that the KI updates Neighborhood List locations live). Primarily the Referee must make sure that no player re-enters the game using the linking books in his/her Relto – to prevent any player from taking advantage of Journey Cloth links. Any player in Relto must first link to either the neighborhood or the Nexus before linking to any other Age or location. The Referee must also monitor that no player currently carrying a flag returns to their Relto unless they have been shot. The Referee also remains in the neighborhood and posts the flags (KI-images) to the neighborhood imager as they are passed to him by players who have captured them and returned with them to the neighborhood. Before posting to the imager, the Referee must validate that each KI-image is of the player submitting the image, and in the correct pose, and that it is from the player who announced they had it. The Referee also declares the game over when three valid KI-images from one team have been posted and announces it to all players via Neighborhood Chat.

The Game:
All players start in the neighborhood. The Referee insures that all players are wearing their proper team color and a unique design. Ages are chosen for each Team’s base, and the “flag” is defined. The initial flag emote is chosen, and all players proceed to the Nexus. The game officially begins when the Referee declares “Begin” over Neigborhood Chat, and each player enters the game using the shared instance of whichever Age they choose to enter. Players may link to any Ages active in the game, but may only change Ages via the Nexus. All other books and all Bahro Stones are off-limits. All Relto books (save Nexus and neighborhood) are also off-limits. Players wishing to use the City must enter using the Bahro stone in the neighborhood's Book Room (as entering using the Nexus will take them to the public instance).

Strategies:
• Ambushing opposing players as they approach your flag by lurking near it. The counter to this is to approach an enemy flag with multiple players so if one is shot on approach another can shoot the shooter and proceed to take the flag.
• Alternately lurking at a team’s own flag location or Nexus book to catch a flag-bearer en-route back to the neighborhood.
• Using the KI Age list to gauge proximity, noting how players move up the list and when they move into voice proximity (<>).
• Listening for footsteps. Note that running is louder than walking, particularly through water. (Note: to insure fairness, all players must wear shoes – bare feet are silent or nearly so.)
• Communicating via PM to keep team communications private.

Montgomery wrote:
MAINTAINER SCAVANGER HUNT

Requirements:
Shared Ages
All players belonging to a common neighborhood
Any number of Players or Teams
1 Referee

Short Game:
The Referee preps the game by taking 5 KI-images anywhere in any Ages or cavern locations that are "sharable" (this excludes Relto, both Clefts, all Bahro caves, and any areas not immediately available to all players, such as the Great Zero calibration chamber, other Guild pubs, Ahnonay's fourth sphere, K'veer, Myst, and private neighborhoods). The most effective KI-images will be close-ups taken from unusual angles or hard-to-reach positions, and not necessarily identifiable out of context. However, images of things that can not be easily reproduced, such as wildlife or an arrangement of firemarbles which can be kicked and erased might not be god choices. The Referee loads these 5 KI-images onto the neighborhood imager immediately prior to commencement of the game, after all players have assembled in the neighborhood but out of sight of the imager.

At the Refereee's signal via Neighborhood Chat all players can look at the imager, then begin searching. The first team or player to accumulate duplicate KI-images and return with them to the neighborhood wins. In team play the images can be supplied by different players, and no single player needs to have all images.

To submit images for review by the Referee, the player team members must have accumulated all 5 images. They then must rendezvous in the neighborhood and send all 5 to the Referee.

Long Game:
This game is the same except that more than 5 images are used, and they are posted on the web at a pre-arranged time (in a single post). These images can be more difficult, because they can be small sections cropped out of screen-shots or KI-images.

Otherwise the rules are identical to the short game. Players still start in the neighborhood and play commences when the Referee announces it via Neighborhood Chat.

As another variation, we could start a game in the guild pub and have 10 images.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2007, 12:01 pm 
Guild Member

KI Number: 2088129
Montgomery wrote:
I was actually planning to ask Andy (Training) to accompany me to ask the Writer's Guild people formally to help us design a training Age -- something with built in flaws and mistakes, which would be listed. The idea would be to use it as a test for new Inspectors, to give them an idea of what to look for and score them on what percentage of mistakes they find. This is something we could do right now using the ULM.

Ooh, I like that idea.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2007, 02:03 pm 
Guild Member

KI Number: 1049653
Jishin wrote:
Some other things that could fall under the Maintainers' responsibility include maintaining and upgrading the Great Zero and the KI, both of which were at least partially the provenance of the Maintainers before D'ni fell. Ideally, I'd love to collaborate with the Cartographers on improving the GZ. With Laxman gone, KI upgrades and improvements are probably going to fall to the wayside unless someone takes action. But ... naturally, this is not something we can achieve on our own, without support from Cyan. I'm hesitant to go poking at this too strongly until we get word from Cyan on the Cavern repairs. Thoughts?

Reading this had a thought on the imager in the GZ it shows that its not finished or more to do.
Could said tasks be part to this and the Guild Of Maintainers Bevin is up and running without a hitch.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2007, 05:48 pm 
Guild Member

KI Number: 140468
Has any thought been given to the possibility that Cyan could approach us (probably after we've received our "official" :D ) and saying, "Hey, we want you to help us with this month's episode"?

"A seedling does not attempt to replace a tree that went before it. It only seeks to grow."
(D'ni proverb, revealed by RAWA, June 8, 2001)

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2007, 10:50 am 
Guild Member

FB -- that would be awesome!

In terms of practical matters, I'm not sure what it would entail. I recall that Reteltee and Rils needed to maintain some level of secrecy regarding their discussions with Cyan. Hmm.

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2007, 12:11 pm 
Guild Member

Montgomery -- sorry I took a while to get back to you on this; I wanted to reread your games more carefully.

I'd like to split them out into a separate thread; I think they'd be a lot of fun, but I'd like to see if we can rework them so that they do not require people to be in the same 'hood or create new avatars.

Would it be OK if I submitted these game ideas to the D'ni Games as potential events?

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2007, 12:41 pm 
Guild Member

KI Number: 175538
Jishin wrote:
Montgomery -- sorry I took a while to get back to you on this; I wanted to reread your games more carefully.

I'd like to split them out into a separate thread; I think they'd be a lot of fun, but I'd like to see if we can rework them so that they do not require people to be in the same 'hood or create new avatars.

Would it be OK if I submitted these game ideas to the D'ni Games as potential events?

Please do! I already figured on nixing the alternate avatars. Just WAY too much catching up to do to make a new avatar with full access. The issue is communications. If that can be solved, I'm all for it! These games are languishing because they are too complicated. Remember, they were set up for a group that already had a common hood and alternate avatars in place, so it was a natural fit. Then we had to change our name and delete our alternate avatars (they have "Maintainer" in their names).