Guild of Maintainers Forum

It is currently 14 Dec 2017, 01:07 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: 29 May 2009, 02:38 pm 
Send private message  WWW  Profile

KI Number: 40217
In relation to the interesting discussions that are happening on the MystOnline Forums (and now to other guild forum too) here, my Liaison mind thought this could be a very good occasion for an intra-guilds project. :)

Jamey is proposing to publish reviews of the Fan Ages on the GoMe Newspaper. This thing could become an interesting project between us and the GoMe; with us doing what we do best (inspecting the Ages and making inspection reports) and they doing what they do best (publish news).
What I am thinking about is something like a revival of the old Books of Commentary Project, where we write IC or OOC (no spoilers) reviews/inspection reports of the Ages and they publish them in the Newspaper.

What do you think about this?

Are there any Maintainers who would like to partecipate in this project providing some inspection reports (GoMe would publish just one inspection per Newspaper issue)?

GoMe discussion is going on here: http://www.guildofmessengers.com/it/for ... mment-9859

PostPosted: 29 May 2009, 11:09 pm 
Send private message  Profile

KI Number: 0
This sounds an excellent idea, and ties in nicely with the Wiki developments here: http://www.guildofmaintainers.org/gomaw ... _Ages_List

Nalates mentions Jamey's post here: viewtopic.php?p=12031#p12031
and has made some preliminary tweaks to one of the age wiki pages, which could form the basis of a revival of the Books of Commentary project.

It's great to see how these ideas are bubbling up from the community -- this could be a super project.

So: any suggestions where to start? Which ages haven't yet had the attention they need or deserve?

PostPosted: 30 May 2009, 03:17 am 

The GoMe Newspaper published very little about the Fan Ages; we had a little interview with Kierra about her Ages, I wrote an analysis of the Museum Age (ok, this isn't a Fan Age :) ), but I can't remember anything else. So there is room for any Fan Age the Inspectors would like to report on :D

EDIT: remember that I proposed this thing to both guild at the same time, so as I'm not sure that there will be Maintainers wanting to contribute, I'm not even sure the GoMe/Newspaper Team will like such a project. (althought I don't think they wouldn't) ;)

PostPosted: 30 May 2009, 10:43 am 

KI Number: 11179950
No, I am not the editor but I do enough to have a say. LOL

So: any suggestions where to start? Which ages haven't yet had the attention they need or deserve? Good question Dot and one I have no idea to an answer. This I think may be where some descissions might have to be made here as opposed to the paper team. I see it working like a free lance arrangment where the GoMa would forward us their final Reviews. I say final as much as we can hope for. Example Fens has been complete for some time, now Whilyam maybe adding a bit more. Basiclly if and age is realeased as finished ( or finished so some time at least) then we could then publish this final review in the paper. I don't think it would make any sense to publish anything until a working age is released as some projects do get started but not finished.

Yeah, for me Leo I love this idea. As I have said in other posts I would love to see more collaboration between the guilds. What, in my mind, should have been happening over a year or two ago. But lets not dwell on that know, moving forward.

All in all I, and I hope Theremin is, happy and flexible in making this happen. To quote Theremn from the discussion on our forum (link in first post)
Quote:
I'd like some really hard reviews, something that's not just a pat-on-the-head "good boy" review.

Understandably this may generate some controversy, I would only ask that the reviewer be objective and polite. (and keep it under 500 words...)

I don't foresee a problem as you are all nice with your revirews but I do agree with the first bit oh and the 500 words LOL

PostPosted: 30 May 2009, 11:23 am 

Useful to know, Szark. Thanks for giving some guidelines of what we should be aiming for in the review.

There are some very good writers here in GoMa. Perhaps one of them would be willing to have a go at revising one of their existing reports into a form appropriate for publication.

PostPosted: 31 May 2009, 10:56 am 
Guild Member

Yes!! Great idea :D Agree with you Szark, we should start off with the 'finished' ones, Fens is a good example. But then I think 'we' could mix the inspections, so that there would be an old one, like Jonae Hood or Takla Makan (both great ages and finished), then again a new, i.e one of Jameys etc. Something about AhraPahts now and then would be nice too, an interview with RobertTheReBuilder?

I'm going to try to participate in this (how I wish I wouldn't have to sleep :lol: )

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2009, 09:39 am 

Ok. So let's see if we can make this project work. :D
It would be great if we could have about 3 inspections done before we start the publication, it wouldn't be nice if we say 'we're starting a new series with the help of the GoMa' and then we publish just one article.
Theremin suggested to start with an Intro article about the Inspection Process, how Maintainers test the Ages, how they report bugs and suggestions, etc.
And then we publish the first inspection on the next issue.

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2009, 04:30 pm 
Guild Member
Send private message  YIM  Profile

Alternate Avie: 0fullmetal0, masterchiefloser, mcloser
Hm... perhaps Dragon's Tooth (and its sub-Ages) could be in the issue, to give a perspective on how Uru could be used for educational purposes as well as simply puzzle-solving.

Now that it's summer (finally) I'd be interested in helping out with this.

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2009, 10:56 am 

That would be wonderful Greg :D :mrgreen: