Guild of Maintainers Forum

It is currently 14 Dec 2017, 01:17 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2010, 05:21 am 
Guild Member
Send private message  Profile

KI Number: 0
Yes, a texture for the sign would be nice. I have previous made some simple boards with notes on:
Spoiler:
ImageImage

The texture for the signs are 512x512 which means they are readable in 3rd p view. If you want that of course. Our engineer is a wiz with making GUIs, but maybe we shouldn't have that just for the board.

I can take the taperecorder from Botan and Moysenland , if you like that model ;) , and place it in the shell.
@D'Lanor : you said earlier that you prefer to do all the alscripting yourself too, right? So for the 'radio' I don't add the alscript, or for anything else, you do that?

@Dot: what kind of music do you prefer? Guess the workers would load the tape-recorder with some easy beat, good as background when working. Do you fix that or want me to?

Yes, release in october - if something isn't 'good enough', it's easy to take out and take along with the next release.

In a couple of days I'll put the .prp-file in Dropbox for you both to load up into your offline Pahts, not as the release age but as a preview-for-you-age, til then I'll dig on :D

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2010, 05:41 am 
Guild Member

KI Number: 33949
Alternate Avie: D'Lanor
ametist wrote:
@D'Lanor : you said earlier that you prefer to do all the alscripting yourself too, right? So for the 'radio' I don't add the alscript, or for anything else, you do that?

If it is tied to logic scripting I prefer to do the alcscript. If on the other hand it is something self-contained like a chair, a ladder, a camera switch etc. then someone else could do it.

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2010, 07:38 am 

Thanks, ametist. I'll try to get something sorted out for the noticeboard later today. I agree that a pop-up isn't needed for the noticeboard. There are other things that would work nicely with a pop-up for a later stage.

The tape recorder from Botan would be fine. I like the music from Botan -- I think I mentioned that a long time ago! By that I mean to say I would trust your judgement. I take it from D'Lanor's comment that the switch script would be done by you -- yes?

At a later stage the music (not from the tape recorder) would change to something a little different -- probably more ambient/new-agish (if that is a term), and as a reward for solving a little puzzle (currently mulling over this, and I'll raise it in the private forum so that there won't be any spoilers). This will be intrinsic to the sculpture area in the far corner of the shell.

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2010, 08:08 am 
Guild Member

Ok, then I can put in the tape-recorder along with that start-and-stop script.

Yes I understand that when it's all ready a nice background-music will be needed. I'll think about that.

I've also 'downgraded' the shed to a tools-shed ;) , I hope to have a another one for the workers made in a couple of days.

And so far no issues with loading it into Pahts :) been there several times already, checking out stencils and transparencies (which I've so far never got right at first attempt ;) )

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2010, 08:26 am 
Guild Member

KI Number: 33949
Alternate Avie: D'Lanor
Dot wrote:
The tape recorder from Botan would be fine. I like the music from Botan -- I think I mentioned that a long time ago! By that I mean to say I would trust your judgement. I take it from D'Lanor's comment that the switch script would be done by you -- yes?

At a later stage the music (not from the tape recorder) would change to something a little different -- probably more ambient/new-agish (if that is a term), and as a reward for solving a little puzzle (currently mulling over this, and I'll raise it in the private forum so that there won't be any spoilers). This will be intrinsic to the sculpture area in the far corner of the shell.

The recorder switch/button is deeply connected to the logic so that would be my task. I have in fact already coded a prototype including avatar animation and animated button. I have the (probably annoying) habit not to wait for the modelers to finish because usually that means they have to change things later. For example, the avatar animation I have in mind requires that the button is exactly 3.4 blender units above floor level and it should be placed on top of the recorder device.

As for the music, I have a library of original work from which you could pick something. However, since the workers' music is only temporary I would rather not "waste" one of mine on it. Edit: Actually I think I found a radio friendly piece that I dislike enough to donate even if it is for temporary use. See dropbox folder (cheap speaker sound entirely intentional ;) ).

btw, I don't think UAM can deal with temporary sound files. Once the file has been distributed it will remain in the user's sfx folder wasting space after we stop using it.

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2010, 03:12 pm 

Just linked in to check the work in progress -- thanks for uploading the files, ametist! Guess who wishes she could sit on the crates -- would that, in fact, be possible? I can imagine the workers sitting down as a group to enjoy a cup of tea, chatting with each other, maybe with the radio close by.

I like the idea of the animated recorder play button, D'Lanor, and the music you suggested will work well I feel in this contect. As for any temporary files, we could mention it in the OOC development journal.

What is the next step with regard to the working radio? Ametist puts the model in world, at the height of 3.4 blender units? Placing it on a suitably sized crate might be one way of handling it.

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2011, 10:27 am 
Guild Member

Quote:
Just linked in to check the work in progress -- thanks for uploading the files, ametist! Guess who wishes she could sit on the crates -- would that, in fact, be possible? I can imagine the workers sitting down as a group to enjoy a cup of tea, chatting with each other, maybe with the radio close by.

Of course the crates could be 'sitable', only that means an update between now and the last phase - then no workers hut and no crates, all things unpacked and moved into their places.. Hm, maybe we should do that, along with the water running in the kitchen and more beer in the fridge for RTR, and the coffee-brewer of course :D. I would love to have a scheduled update then, where we could see Quin walking around, measuring, humming and moving crates - I can make one or two 'kickables'.
But maybe I shouldn't say to much, have not started with the Shell yet, just done my additions for RellToo, so Shell-work starts tomorrow ;)

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2011, 10:36 am 

Hi, ametist -- look at the date on the previous post!

This was when we were just starting out. We're going to need to start again from Phase 4...

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2011, 11:11 pm 
Guild Member

:oops: sorry for that...

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2011, 02:43 am 

No problem! It has all got a bit confused...