Guild of Maintainers Forum

It is currently 20 Nov 2017, 04:54 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: 05 Oct 2010, 02:07 pm 
Guild Member
Send private message  Profile

KI Number: 33949
Alternate Avie: D'Lanor
I tried it with the PyPRP 1.6 nightly build and the plain vanilla initial release. I even tried PyPRP 1.5 but still no go.

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2010, 02:24 pm 
Guild Member

Ok, problem solved. It was a case of PEBKAC. :oops: I was copying the default Shell objects for testing and I just noticed they have a text property "ignorePPT".

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2010, 04:44 pm 

KI Number: 37681
Alternate Avie: Andy Legate ....... uhm.......
DOH!!!!

Well glad it was something simple to fix and not anything really with the plugin!

My Navy Brag Page

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2010, 08:27 am 
Guild Member

KI Number: 0
Thank you D'Lanor for finding that out, Im sure I would have had a lot of problems with that ;) .
I haven't exported the shell into Pahts yet, only as a simple age right into my cc dat-folder. I was thinking it must be easier to test during building-process doing so.

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2010, 09:31 am 
Guild Member

Yes, the full Pahts age takes some time to load. However, if you have a reasonably fast computer it is not too bad. You can link directly to the link-in point in front of Shell 415 using the Offline KI command: /linksp Pahts lpc406

This only works offline.

By the time I add the wiring I will need a full Pahts age though. That is the only way to make sure that everything works within the limits of the Pahts paging system. For which btw I have already created (and tested) the necessary workarounds. 8-)

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2010, 09:11 am 
Guild Member

@D'Lanor - I'll make it a 'full pahts-age when I put it in the Dropbox :) .
I have all the textures in the source-file (blender), I have named all things with 415... and set the property page_num on every object so far.

Here's some pics (thumbs) and I would like some input on the textures I've chosen for the floor-tiles, and the 'look' of the shed. My thought was that the shed is put together on site, and when the workers leave they take it apart and build it up on next site, therefor the 'worn' look. But that's only me ;)

Spoiler:
Tools

Spoiler:
Shed

Spoiler:
Quins floor

Spoiler:
Dots floor

Spoiler:
Dots floor2

Spoiler:
view

The grass will stay until the whole ground is tiled with different stonepatterns, like it is done in RL. Measure-sticks and barriers are about to come.

The sign at the entrance? A temporary one or the 'real' one right now?

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2010, 12:10 pm 

Thanks, both, for all your work on this project already. :)

D'Lanor, you know I will need to just let you get on with the wiring -- I didn't understand your last few posts...

ametist, you're making very good progress. Some specific comments (as requested):

The shovels and piles of sand look good -- a nice idea. I also like the wheelbarrow.

I'm not so happy with the grass texture -- it looks too smudgy and contrasty, especially with the black areas on it. The sandy texture next to the tiled areas similarly looks smudgy. One of the terrain textures I use regularly in OSgrid is based on Genetica Viewer's Common Ground, but it might look a bit too strongly green in this context -- we need that colour strength in OSgrid. Could we try that perhaps for the base? What resolution would you need?

Shed: I agree that the workers would probably move their shed from site to site. In the UK it would probably be a battered old shipping container for extra security. I like the Swedish log-cabin style, though (since you are in charge of these workers!). One pernickety point: the texture on the two wall ends will need to be turned through 90 degrees, so that it matches the rest of the log.

The tiles for Quin's and Dot's floors are perfect! The choice for Quin's will hide oil spillages and that for mine will complement the modern ash desk I have my eye on (yes, I use IKEA for office furniture).

The sign at the entrance will be a temporary one for now, as you might see at a building site in a town.

Hope this helps!

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2010, 01:17 pm 

KI Number: 37681
Alternate Avie: Andy Legate ....... uhm.......
A suggestion about the grass (I'm only suggesting since this is not my project):

You'll need to use 2 textures: one that looks good from far, and one for details up close, that way you don't get any tiled looks, and you don't have the blur up close. My tutorial for Blender on Mip Maps should help. If you need some other grass textures to try, I think I've got some laying around somewhere.

My Navy Brag Page

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2010, 11:56 pm 
Guild Member

Thanks! Yes I agree, the grass-texture definitely needs work , I also want the edges around the building-quarters to be more realistic, like with some spilled over sand, bits of grass turned over etc., the grass itself more 'damaged' by the work going on. I'll ask you andy, be sure of that :) , if I can't find a better grass-texture in my own folder. The tiles for Quin are yours already :) because I took that from textures.org.

Ok, the shed will be fixed then, and I will go on with adding benches, hardhats lying on a shelf, signs, a table, some more tools and utilities.

The piles of sand shall blend into the grass better.

Next time I will have it exported as a full pahts-age also.

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2010, 02:06 am 

Sounds a good plan, ametist -- thanks.

Would you like me to do a texture for the temporary sign? What resolution, if so?

When the shell is exported to the full Ahra Pahts, is that the time when D'Lanor gets involved in detail with the wiring? And I can start visiting it? (I'd better get going with content ideas for the journal.)

Is the second half of October a suitable public release date for this stage?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next