Guild of Maintainers Forum

It is currently 22 Nov 2017, 12:23 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: 26 Sep 2010, 06:30 am 
Guild Member
Send private message  Profile

KI Number: 33949
Alternate Avie: D'Lanor
Dot wrote:
I like the idea of the workers' radio, but would it be possible to have it clickable so that explorers can turn it on or off, as they choose? This might be a question for D'Lanor.

Yes, that can be done. It won't be a real radio in the sense that it has an unlimited amount of different tunes. And syncing music between players is not possible because for those who link in it will start from the beginning, like the Relto music player.

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2010, 09:03 am 

KI Number: 0
I was assuming the radio would have just one tune -- hence the need to switch it off! Though, would it be possible to make it like the Relto music player in Uru:CC so that it picks up on explorer's own choice of music? Or would this break cross-shard and single-player working?

Thinking of separate buildings within the Dot/Quin enclaves, I've worked out that these can be 10 m wide (nice measurement for building prototypes in OSgrid). Let's make them square or rectangular in floor plan. They could be placed symmetrically against and parallel to the main entrance wall, with a gap around them within the enclave. They could be built on a slightly raised platform. If their roofs are a little higher than the main wall, it would show that something is going on there. Maybe we could have a flagpole or a banner too. (All these details can be ignored -- only implement them if they are easy to do and take your fancy.)

In the rest of the enclaves, mine could have a small formal garden, while Quin's would be a mess of crates and boxes -- the general detritus of an engineer reverse-engineering any gadgets he finds.

Returning to ametist's post: Andy has done imagers -- think of Neolbah, for example. The ones in the shell wouldn't necessarily be D'ni imagers though -- they would be either like a screensaver slide show, or a PowerPoint slide presentation projected onto a screen (or maybe back-projected in a fancier bit of kit).

For the Devokan spheres, how we did these in SL/OSgrid was to use concentric spheres of different sizes, with animated partially transparent textures that rotated at different rates and at different directions, and giving off a small amount of light. Though simple, they were visually effective, particularly in a night-time setting. We also made the central sphere be a quiet sound source (pad effect, or tinkly sound).

I've not yet received the email re Dropbox -- perhaps send a forum pm instead?

The idea of making a Dropbox folder for files for testing on the UAM shard sounds a good idea -- that would be fun and productive. I'll check it out with Dustin, as you suggest.

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2010, 05:19 pm 

Yup, it's no problem to update it on the shard whenever you like. Normally, it's also easy to make it so that you guys can just use your own files and just give me the .age/.sdl files, but since it's Ahra Pahts, there's the difficulty of having two different versions at the same time (I.e. one with an empty shell for other players.) But I don't imagine it's a problem if people *can* see the working versions, so long as it isn't announced and they go looking for and expect something. Anyway, yes the offline updates can be done when you like too! (I would coordinate with RobertTheRebuilder, since he handles that Age.)

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2010, 01:53 am 

Thanks, Dustin. It would be very helpful to have this sort of private access to just the shell. Then I will send the shell at agreed completed stages to Robert for inclusion in the full city.

Looking at the archived GoW wiki article, it would be possible to handle this as part of a storyline:
Quote:
Each shell would be constructed of special materials that would allow for transport of its contents between worlds. When a person places one hand on the walls and another on a linking book, the walls would act as a "linking field", taking along the person, the walls, and anything contained therein.

In order for a world to add a representative property to the city, the shell would first be transported to the world, surrounding the desired property. Once everything has been constructed inside these walls, the shell would be returned back to the city - taking along its contents as well.

This suggests that we might need a dummy linking book+pedestal as a prop, somewhere close to the wall (I suggest placing this centrally on the far wall opposite the entrance; this will tie in with the eventual purpose of that area).

The other thing that would be handy is a small blue Devokan sphere hovering over a low stand close by (about 0.5 m in diameter). Here's a photo taken by Paislee of one of the small spheres (it is the wrong colour, of course -- this one has a different function):

Was thinking overnight too: If it is easier for the modellers, perhaps we could start with a pile of crates rather than a table. Journals, radios etc. can be placed on those quite easily.

Edit: ametist, I've now discovered the missing Dropbox email -- lurking in one of the junk folders, of course. Thank you for setting this up.

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2010, 09:59 am 
Guild Member

/DOH - yes of course there is imagers out there and andy has even provided a tutorial on it; wasn't thinking outside the box. So that can be done.
Spheres - yes also doable like you describe it, a hovering globe with animated textures and sprites.
Interesting with that 'wall-with-linking-abilities' ;)

Dot, I got your mail too, so good you have it now.

I'll start next week, have another age to finish first, not much left there, just wrapping up with lightmaps, sounds and animations. So I rather feel somewhat energized by this new project! :D

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2010, 02:02 am 

For ease of planning and development, a private forum thread has now been set up for the team to use.

Look out for information about progress on the MOUL Devokan story thread, here and in the journals in Neolbah. We're hoping to release the preliminary stage by the end of October, if not before.

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2010, 10:32 am 
Guild Member

Houston, we have a problem.

PyPRP's option "All as full age, per-page textures (.age)" does not seem to work for me anymore. No matter what I do I cannot make it put the textures inside the Shell415 prp file. I even tried a hard reset of the variable export_textures_to_page_prp in prp_Config to 1 the old fashioned way but no luck.

Ametist, does your PyPRP create a Textures file when you choose "All as full age, per-page textures (.age)"?

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2010, 10:48 am 

KI Number: 37681
Alternate Avie: Andy Legate ....... uhm.......
Since this is Ahra Pahts, I thought you had to use "All as single prp, per page textures" as your export. Your shell is after all a single prp file, right?

I know it worked for me before. And I"ve never tried the "All as Full Age" option (never had a need to so I don't know if that has ever worked). But I know the single prp option worked.

My Navy Brag Page

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2010, 10:59 am 
Guild Member

Not according to this wiki page. But I tried "All as single prp, per page textures" as well and it also fails.

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2010, 01:58 pm 

KI Number: 37681
Alternate Avie: Andy Legate ....... uhm.......
Hrrrrmmmmmmmm.....wow.

Of course when I did it was back with PyPRP 1.4 or 1.5. Could something be broken that we don't know about?

I guess I need to try and export something from Blender and see if it works or not

My Navy Brag Page

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next