Guild of Maintainers Forum

It is currently 15 Dec 2017, 04:53 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2010, 02:15 pm 
Send private message  Profile

KI Number: 0
Has anyone seen Dot around? I need to speak to her urgently.

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2010, 03:02 pm 
Guild Member
Send private message  WWW  Profile

KI Number: 83543
I saw her on my island west of New Devokan... may be two days ago.

Nalates Urriah is my SL and OSGrid name - MOULagain: Nal KI#oo o83 543 - Nalates KI#111451
Support: Devokan Trust - Myst Style Stories Across Worlds
Support: OpenUru.org - Myst/Uru Open Source Resources

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2010, 03:59 pm 

Good. She might be already aware, then, of what seems to be happening in the islands. But I do need to talk with her.

As far as I can tell, there seem to be two separate processes at work -- one of which is causing quite drastic changes to the island of Devokan Touchstone. I met Mr Mahogany earlier today, and he showed me what was going on. He is somewhat concerned.

Tying it in with the systematic flux readings I have been taking over the last week or so, it seems that there is a direct link between flux intensity and amount of change in terrain. Devokan Touchstone now has a deep crack running its length, and parts of the terrain are being pushed (or pulled?) upwards. One example of the latter is in the SW corner, where readings were particularly high.

It's just as well Miss Paislee is away at the moment. The changes would worry her.

The other process my instruments have picked up (it has quite a different 'signature' to the other) -- I assume that that is occasioned by the smaller spheres over the ocean to the south of your island. They look an interesting development; I have not seen the spheres emit 'sparks' before. What are your thoughts on what is going on there?

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2010, 02:45 am 

Oops, I missed seeing this. Too much else happening.

Will you be in your skylab later today, Quin? I'll send you an im once I've reached New Devokan, though I would point out that you have conspicuously avoided seeing me over the past couple of weeks. No doubt you have your reasons...

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2010, 03:13 pm 
Guild Member
Send private message  WWW  Profile

KI Number: 83543
I’m not sure how related some of these things are. I have one captive sphere and 4 or 5 semi-controlled spheres on my island and south of my islands. I have no idea if they are having an effect on Touchstone. If you see a connection, let me know.

The test sphere, the one I call captive, is in the building I’m putting up on my island. You can see it best from the third floor. The computer controls are in the basement right now. I adapted the computers I use to monitor the phasing in and out of the islands to control the spheres until I can get more equipment.

I have the ...elevators... working. Traveling forward I brought back some technology and used it to make getting around easier.

The other spheres are being used to capture the old D’ni building I found. You’ll find those to the south of my island in what was open water. Some of the terrain is being pulled across now. I am trying to slow the process until I can learn more about the spheres… or at least the process they use. The new terrain should be reasonably stable, for now.

One of the things I did notice is changing the energy source has shifted some of the effects in the sphere’s process into the visible spectrum.

Nalates Urriah is my SL and OSGrid name - MOULagain: Nal KI#oo o83 543 - Nalates KI#111451
Support: Devokan Trust - Myst Style Stories Across Worlds
Support: OpenUru.org - Myst/Uru Open Source Resources

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2010, 03:00 am 

You'll probably have seen that I eventually managed to catch up with Quin.

However, the latest developments on Devokan Touchstone do not look good at all. As I noted on the MOUL forum:
Dot wrote:
I have just re-visited Devokan Touchstone.

An ugly red glow blights what remains of the land.

The sea, no longer calm, displays a turbulence driven from below. Debris from destroyed walled gardens swirls around, caught fast in whirlpools.

One of the elevated regions seems to be trying to twist itself free of the spiky grasp of this festering landscape.

I am very, very angry.

Quin meant this to be a new home for us all.

So: What are we to do about this?

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2010, 10:26 am 

I too have seen what is happening.

Mr Mahogany, in an earlier discussion I had with him, suggested that the two instances of Devokan in the same world, and in such close proximity, might be caused by some error in the transfer process (which involved a temporary time-space wormhole between parallel worlds); one key parameter out by a factor of 10^-12 would be sufficient to disturb the meshing of the transferred Devokan with the original island in the destination world.

Perhaps this turbulence is part of a restoration process, as a single instance is re-established.

On the other hand, perhaps it has nothing to do with the transfer process -- a more worrying scenario in that we do not know whether the turbulence and destruction might spread.

Nalates, there may be parallels here with what you are doing. Though if it is the former, a restoration process, I would expect a better match between the 'signatures' of the spheres employed in your experiment and the flux over Devokan Touchstone. On a more intuitive level (yes, Miss Dot, even I have some sensibility in that area) the transfer process instigated by the spheres, though disturbing in some ways, was beautiful -- mathematically, aesthetically, harmoniously; this turbulence is chaotic, ugly, discordant.

So on balance, I would say we are faced with the latter scenario. In which case, how might we contain and constrain this dis-ease of the land? Might we pool our resources, Nalates, Mr Mahogany, and I?