Guild of Maintainers Forum

It is currently 15 Oct 2018, 08:48 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: 06 Jan 2010, 05:17 pm 
Guild Member
Send private message  WWW  Profile

KI Number: 83543
This is ridiculously long. Sorry a crash last night got me behind and I rolling several things together.

OSGrid Story – GoMa and MOUL are good places for the story. Posting on MOUL gets it out to the larger fan base. It’s up us to decide where we want everyone to post story ‘first’. I often post here as test story. I think here it would be good to run parallel threads. One thread could be IC story and one OOC discussion about the IC story. This will allow people to start to understand what and why we are doing things whichever way and relating to OOC events. Only the IC story would be on MOUL.

An example of the OOC thread discussion is this, written in response to a question by Dot. The Quin-Nal trip is to represent exploring OS grid and get photos of the current status, so we can get it out there. While one can see my other RPG world’s going nuclear as unrelated (it is - I could relate the OOC reasons for their need to explain a sudden massive loss of players and how it was blocking RP there, but that won't make sense to Uruites), I see it as a way of relating the loss of D'Uru. I see the refugees as being real Uru Fans exploring and considering the OS grids as an optional home, not necessarily the D'ni refugees but I expect some/more of them.

The next diary entry will be about the Quin-Nal trip. I hope to have more pic of OS Dev up by then. The next entry will be after I find my 'other' battles have entered the nuclear stage and I fear factions from those worlds will spread the fighting. I will find that a portion of the D'ni worlds has been inadvertently (?) destroyed too (D’Uru). I will then urge we examine how to move SL Dev, just as someone is moving Channelwood. That motivation can be from fear of the fighting, fear of whatever took D'Uru or in preparation to care for an influx of Refugees or something I have not thought of yet or something you add in.

I see being able to run a double meaning on who the SL Devokians are, GoMa and OU. I can make references to Open Uru as a refugee project for fleeing Eder D'Uru's loss. The name lends itself to a handy mnemonic easily remembered. Some of the story can reference the OOC instructions and tech support for the OS grid move to and spread through the community. In-world-links to forums with OOC notes or a transition thread in the forum so in-world can remain more IC... however it is done, we can lead players that don't catch the ARG type relationship and story into what is going on.

Let me know your thoughts on this one. At some point, I think, we need open planning for this story. We also need to open up our planning for OS Dev.

OSGrid Private Planning – There will still be a need for private planning. This thread works for that. Our issues with others, financial matters, artistic direction and over arch story direction all need some protected development time. I think each team for each sim will likely have their own. I think we need to handle the purposes and rights of sim owners to have control and private meetings in the SD&D section. JWP touches on it now and then.

OSGrid Tech – I think tech will fit better at OU. Plus we have the easy mix of blogs, wikis and forums. It seems planned to be mostly the OOC planning and tech site for the community and an alternative to GoW.

I did PM RAWA and ask if he had any thoughts on the amount and type of OS grid stuff we may post there. I’ll see what he thinks and let you know. [...]

I would like to help GoMa and other fans. There seems to be an aversion to free form anything as people can't see where IT is going. But the thing is 'IT' just doesn't matter because 'IT' is us and with freedom we can do whatever we want. We can help others where we can. I think the founding ideas Americans had of cooperative independence and personal freedom are lacking in a portion of our community. I see ways we can use those ideas for OS grid.

As to evacuating Devokan… This picture is from my other RPG. They were targeting for a nuclear attack and building story for a purpose (need to trash sim and add in new tech). That happened this week. I don’t have good images of the city before the attack. I have been thinking of how to photo the post-attack-city. Dark places are hard to photograph. They did a good job of destroying the city and making craters and misty green radioactive areas. So, for my IC purposes in Dev I fear refugees will be running for it.

Since in my RP the tech to get to Channelwood is RP’d to be lost and we have seen others from my battle zone (or other dark rp’s) in Dev… moving Dev to the same world will give us protection from being found. That sort of has its parallels in the OOC transfer to OS. Mine can be one of whatever reasons others come up with. Its not like we have to have a single reason. We can remain unsure why, each having an opinion, but agree leaving is good.

Targeting from Space Station (my sitting there has NOTHING TO DO with the place blowing up!!!)

I hope to have some other pictures of what they did to the sim for their aftermath. I have yet to ask if they did the fireworks thing they did once before. We have some pretty awesome looking nuclear explosions in SL. With new tech available to them they needed to make some drastic changes and add in many features of their new play toys. So, as trashed as it looks there are new game play opportunities there. While much of the …appearance… of these toys is oriented toward fighting and hit points, the software and interactive ideas are transferable to a non-violent Myst-Style

Whatever we do with all of the above, the entire IC story is in cooperation with what you and others want to do. I like the challenge of mixing the OOC goings on with the IC story line and play with a style from that interest. It has a nice mix of some ARG parts I enjoy and experiment with. I can always change direction in my IC story. I'm not attached to it. So, if it’s not fun for you, I can make a shift to something else we may like. Besides this is each of our’s story (bad English) and we can be revisionist if needed.

I hope this explains what I’m thinking. Let me know if something doesn’t work for you or you have better ideas and the directions you would like to go.

OSGrid Physics - SL is using Havok 4. It is possible to use Havok with OSGrids. The ODE open source physics are said to be as good as Havok. I have seen games that tend to support that opinion. I expect OSGrid physics to improve soon.

Wiki Article - I think a how to wiki is a good idea. GoMa or OU? I think we need to figure out the easiest way for SL players to get there and another route for non-SL players. I think the most support is at OSGrid web site. Then there is the viewer... Hippo is official and has support. I vote for adopting it. The SL viewer and Emerald viewers are popular. Imprudence is popular in the OS world. Fortunately those all work almost the same.

Wheeew. Longer post than planned.

Nalates Urriah is my SL and OSGrid name - MOULagain: Nal KI#oo o83 543 - Nalates KI#111451
Support: Devokan Trust - Myst Style Stories Across Worlds
Support: OpenUru.org - Myst/Uru Open Source Resources

Last edited by Dot on 17 Feb 2010, 05:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Removed a little private discussion

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2010, 04:16 am 
Send private message  Profile

KI Number: 0
Thanks so much for all your support and thinking, Nalates. I'm really excited by the possibilities.

I've been thinking overnight that an attack on Devokan would be the way to go -- and I was visualising a post-attack wasteland too, but on a piece of paper blowing in the wind is the quote we use at the start of the covenant, plus an open linking book with a picture from the OSgrid area that gives a notecard with instructions of how to get there.

Before the attack happens birds would disappear overnight. The squees have already gone and hidden, sensing something is not quite right. The fawn will move on, too. At some point the sim radio stream will change to the edgier Myst V theme -- Jim got the player for the sim, and it would be a lovely acknowledgement of his faithful, quiet support to embed it like this.

We will need to warn people -- that might take a little while, and I would like to make sure everyone currently in Devokan has a new home to go to, whether in SL or on the Hypergrid or whatever. This will take place in the rest of January. If it is possible to conclude before the next payment due on Devokan (I think that is February the 9th), that will help both Paislee and me, but if necessary we can take it into the rest of February.

Yesterday, Paislee and I went to a place Quin found on his travels in the northern reaches of the continent of Caledon: it is Winterfell Reverie. We will probably be sharing an SL base there. But that will be a quiet, parallel story for the time being (don't know yet how that one will develop).

OOC discussions of IC story: I would suggest moving to open discussions after SL Devokan is a wasteland. We could sanitise the discussions up to that point and post them in open forum if it is thought helpful for historical understanding.

I would also like to keep a private thread going here, as you suggest. It helps to be able to vent somewhere sometimes, and given different timezones, it is not always possible in-world. Also, with the input of others, it helps get things into perspective (checks and balances).

OSgrid Tech: Agree it's best discussed and developed on Open Uru. As for the OS How to Wiki I suspect JWPlatt's motivation for looking at OS and SL projects is what can be learned for Open Source Uru, not as projects that might take a life of their own. In that case GoMa wiki may be a better home. (I realise that it might look like we are going to take over GoMa with this, but the other forums and inspection opportunities for Uru:CC based fan ages remain open for use -- if people aren't using them, that is not our problem. However, the facilities are here, so let's go with them, as long as Nyn doesn't mind!)

OSgrid viewer: Apparently Hippo might be falling by the wayside. I'm using Imprudence mostly in OSgrid, and can also use the main SL viewer and Emerald when on the Mac. One of the OSgrid powers-that-be is agitating Emerald to offer a choice of grids at the log in screen; if he succeeds in that mission, it would be very helpful indeed.

Thanks for the RAWA check. Way back I also asked Cyan Legal for permission to post images from Uru and fan-made ages in SL, but have not heard from them.

[...] I really like the concept of 'cooperative independence' you brought up -- feel happy with that. :) [...]

Have I covered enough for now?

Last edited by Dot on 17 Feb 2010, 05:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Removed private discussion

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2010, 08:05 pm 
Guild Member

Thanks for the post! All of those things work for me. So, we have a basic outline... well outlines. I'll consider your post the template for what goes on GoMa and OU.

I plan to post in SL Dev in a little while and on the forum here. Once you see it you can copy to MOUL if your hurrying or in the next day or two I post an update there. I hope Holli and her friend are feeling included. It just occurred to me I had not been including her by name. Darn.

I hope you understand I have respect for the things you have built, your creative ideas and your personality. You are considerate of others. We will never agree on all the stuff (financial) but that should never be a problem because I see this as about fun not control or having it my way. [...]

Have yet to check for RAWA response...

Edit: Corrected typo

Nalates Urriah is my SL and OSGrid name - MOULagain: Nal KI#oo o83 543 - Nalates KI#111451

Last edited by Dot on 17 Feb 2010, 05:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Removed private reference

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2010, 12:30 pm 
Guild Member

Those posts are up. I have tomorrow's written (don't let that slow you down - I can make changes). Here is what I plan to put on the bulletin board.

Quote:
Everyone, I have dreadful news. My world is fully engulfed in war. It’s gone nuclear. It has spread out across several worlds. Eder D’Uru has apparently been hit by a planet buster. Attempted teleports there fail. We are evacuating The Nation. You may see refugees fleeing through Devokan and other regions.

The spreading war has dire implications for Devokan. A strategic decision was made to decimate worlds surrounding The Nation’s home world, my duty station, it is also to be decimated after we evacuate. This is being done to bottle up the invaders and cut them off from the rest of our universe. There is no gentle way to say it; Devokan is one of those ‘surrounding’ worlds. I agree with the decision … regretfully.

Unless Quin has some way to hide Devokan I am certain the invaders will find it and turn it into a staging area. Either way it is lost to us. Humans and Infernal’s cannot co-exist. Unless we can find a solution to save Devokan… we need to plan to save as much as we can. The preliminary plans of The Nation’s military gives us about 3 may be 4 weeks. I have connections and may be able to get us another 4 weeks but don’t count on it. Schedule a Devokan wide meeting as soon as possible.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2010, 02:11 pm 

:o Wow! You're definitely going for the nuclear option! I bet this will surprise them all! Makes one feel sympathy for Ford Prefect (or whoever he was in Hitchhiker). Perhaps post it on Sunday rather than tomorrow?

<pedant>The last 'Infernals' shouldn't have an apostrophe. You might want to change 'decimate' to 'annihilate' -- decimating something only lays waste to one tenth of it, leaving nine tenths for the Infernals to get their hands(?) on. </pendant>

I suppose I'd better come back from New Babbage. Shame. I was enjoying myself. I got myself a new Sherlock Holmes suit, but couldn't nerve myself up to wear it.

Anyway, I will cut off the link to Eder Gira from the main Nexus in Devokan, and say that I have done that as a precautionary measure (it has broken anyway for some reason). I will read some of Aunt Elspeth's journal and discover something that will give hope of moving across. I've no idea what at the moment.

Dot has now alerted all the remaining inhabitants; she still needs to hear from Jim. She also needs to talk with Paislee, in case SHE has a plan (might be hard to think of all that hard work going up in a glowing mushroom cloud, even a virtual one). [...]

One thing we've just learned: if sims are moved to another server on the OSgrid, it can play havoc with the scripts. All the flaming torches have broken (the entire texture grid for the flames is visible, and not animated); the waterfall animation and sound scripts all needed resetting; as did the drum beat script. And worst of all, the benches we so carefully tweaked to get avies sitting correctly no longer work: they simply gulp you up in one mighty right-click. So that potentially is an enormous amount of work.

It suggests that we need to list ways of building and scripting that will be robust enough to survive this sort of problem.

Last edited by Dot on 17 Feb 2010, 05:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Removed private reference

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2010, 02:57 pm 
Retired Guild Leader
Send private message  WWW  YIM  Profile

KI Number: 57511
Alternate Avie: Nynaveve Wirefly
Quinquifid wrote:
<pedant>The last 'Infernals' shouldn't have an apostrophe. You might want to change 'decimate' to 'annihilate' -- decimating something only lays waste to one tenth of it, leaving nine tenths for the Infernals to get their hands(?) on. </pendant>

*sigh* :D

I will admit up front that I haven't been following the story very closely (I'm not a very dedicated Devokian... Devokanite...??... these days) ... so this might be a question that was answered in previous posts and I just missed it. Why don't the orbs just slowly overtake Devokan from Channelwood? Why the dramatic BOOM with the neon mushroom cloud? I would think if the mysterious orbs just slowly started engulfing Devokan, it would give people a chance to pick up their things, and as they go, a blob appears over that spot, "eating" whatever was there.

....Or the ground could just open up and swallow us all. ;)

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2010, 03:12 pm 

There are two different things going on here providing reasons for a similar outcome.

One is the positive transfer process, done by the orbs. Somehow or other, the good people living on the islands in the other world have caught a glimpse of the inferno to come (probably using the imager pool just outside the small sanctuary building, and are transporting the trees across to their world to keep them safe. My aunt writes about it in her journal -- apparently she made her home there for many years, learning their ways, and she teaching them hers.

The second, negative, happening is the result of Nalates' inadvertant connection with the world of SL Devokan, or rather its proximity to her own home world. Hence the conflagration with no pathway left to return to the past.

The Devokonians at least will have a homeland to go to, as a result of the actions of the people behind the orbs. Poor Nalates will have no place to go. But we'll look after her... if she stays in one place long enough!

It's a way of weaving several story threads together, and reflecting RL happenings. Linking it to other RP games could bring other players across -- this potentially gives them a way of building onto the character they already have in the other game rather than starting again from scratch.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2010, 05:39 pm 
Retired Guild Leader
Send private message  WWW  YIM  Profile

KI Number: 57511
Alternate Avie: Nynaveve Wirefly
Ah, ok. Dramatic ending it is then. :)

<idly wonders what happened to all the extra smilies...>

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2010, 01:57 am 

Further thoughts on timing (sorry about all the changes -- I'm playing this very much by ear)...

I've just sent a notice 'An ending has been written...' to the D'ni Refugees, including a link to the photo I took yesterday evening when chatting with Paislee. There was some reaction immediately over group chat, so I played along with this.
Spoiler:
[23:43] catseye Fride: wow that sucks
[23:43] scribblywench Bookmite: what?
[23:44] catseye Fride: channel wood is going bye bye
[23:44] catseye Fride: http://www.flickr.com/photos/43827498@N ... 8346/&#39;
[23:44] Lelam Dresler: ;_;
[23:45] Fax Quixote: Reports are a passage to a new age may result...
[23:46] catseye Fride: cool
[23:47] Dot Macchi: Note that the title is 'AN ending...'
[23:51] Dot Macchi: Quin is busy at the moment, but he hopes to be able to report on things over the weekend. In the meantime, if you would like to say goodbye to this incarnation of Channelwood, now is the time to do it. The orbs are benign, by the way.
[23:52] Fax Quixote: Ah, that's a relief.
[23:52] Robbie Spiritor: was glad i got to see it
[23:55] revverred Michigan: when does it disappear?
[23:56] Dot Macchi: According to the data Nalates and Quin were able to gather on their investigation of the orb's source, it will be sometime on Sunday
[23:57] Dot Macchi: Nalates posted a note on the Devokan noticeboard, which sounds pretty hopeful:

Since not everyone is a good explorer like Fax (who DOES read the manuals) I followed up with quotes from Nalates' reports.

The plan is for Channelwood in SL to vanish sometime on Sunday (Paislee and I were discussing this at the time the photo was taken). We'll need to be getting the info out about the new chapter opening over on OSgrid at the same time, I suggest.

Then the coming week will be for explorers to start to find their way over to the OSgrid.

Then next weekend (16 Jan) comes the announcement of the danger to Devokan. Does that sound about right? It means we won't have drama piled on drama, and can finetune our plans here over the coming days.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2010, 02:43 am 
Guild Member

Timing changes can always be RP'd to work. Unforeseen events and all...

The nukes... In NoR (my other RPG) they nuked a sim to handle handle the addition of new technology. It was going to be hard to explain the changes and the sim remodel. This was an easy out. Also, from the OOC drama there they lost a large number of players. The nukes explain that too.

NoR Images - They are labeled before and after.

Where we go with this is still totally open. We could build suspense and never nuke or nuke it 2 or 3 days before it closes. I was the kid that was divided over liking to smash the sand castle I spent all day building verses letting the tide wash it away. I'm open to whatever ending you ladies prefer. :)

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next