Guild of Maintainers Forum

It is currently 14 Dec 2017, 01:16 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: 13 Jan 2010, 01:56 am 
Send private message  Profile

KI Number: 0
Suggestions for next bit:

Quin has cleared the Lighthouse of his experiments so it can be used as temporary accommodation for fleeing refugees if required. (If only it were this easy in RL to get partners to clear out their playrooms. ;) ) Having done that, he has locked himself in his house and refuses to come out and help, saying he is studying his aunt's journals and needs to concentrate. :x

Paislee, I'm sure, will lay on soup and bread in the inn.

Holli, do you think you and Artair might be able to help with taking things like the linking books and maybe the time-lapse imager into safe keeping? Or is there anything else you can think of that you would do in this situation?

I will need to get in touch with Jeffe re the KI dispenser. I wonder whether it could be made to work on the OSgrid.

Had a good chat with Jim yesterday -- he will be joining Paislee, Quin and me in the new place (which I want to keep under wraps at the moment -- it will be something Quin finds out from his aunt's journals). [...]

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2010, 01:48 pm 

Got the keep built in the new place now.

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2010, 03:50 am 

I had a chance to talk with Paislee last night. We're in different time zones so it isn't always easy, especially on weekdays.

We both feel 'detached' from SL Devokan full sim. We've achieved most of what we were hoping for and have no regrets. It has been tremendous in giving us a chance to create and experiment with building and sustaining an immersive environment -- we're moving on to the next stage. :-)

We're aiming for the early Feb date for the full sim to go [...]

After this, we'd both like a bit of a break. This isn't to say that the rest of you can't go on and have fun with the story (and I'll probably join in anyway :P ).

So... it is time to move out into the open so all can join in (can you get Artair here, Holli?). I suggest having a thread labelled 'OOC Devokan story planning (Warning: spoilers)'.

Quin will post here and on MOUL about the Winterfell country his aunt described in one of the journals: it is intriguing in that it seems to be simultaneously in several different historical epochs (Victorian, medieval, Tudor). It is in the hinterlands of the Republic of Caledon, so makes a good base for exploring that area, and we can go hide in the city should the nasty insectoids come running after us.

We've met both actual and prospective neighbours, all of whom seem to be downsizing from existing landownership or commercial activities (one was badly affected by the OpenSpace fiasco), and who have a similar concern to maintain a theme.

So now it's a matter of quickly evacuating Devokan, and setting up the new place. Have fun -- and thanks for everything you've put into making this story!

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2010, 10:04 am 
Guild Member
Send private message  WWW  Profile

KI Number: 83543
It is good that a planning section will go public. Are you still wanting some of this thread to be moved over?

I wish you success on selling the sim. I'm sure it is going to be missed, I'll miss it being in SL. Paislee and you did an impressive job with it. Congratulations on one of the most impressive Myst style builds in SL.

I understand wanting a break. Are you going to take one from SL & OS? [...]

I'm hopping Quin will reveal enough of Espeth's (sp? was looking for you spelling of it and couldn't find it easily...) to create the clues or tell us who is behind the spheres. I'll make do with whatever we have.

I am thinking about how to allow players someway to participate in building minor parts of the world. I want to get some squee (squees? Is this a mouse, meese, mice problem?) for myself. I think it would be neat to have them in a travel cage in SL Devokan. Also, having cots in the light house and personal stuff piled around would be neat. But these are all things that would start to require effort on the Paislee/Dot build team and additional coordination OOC. Doing such things, like your adding and moving squee around, occasionally can be fun but when it is something ongoing it could start to feel like work. I hope to figure out a way to allow some measure of building by players without creating a griefers paradise. I need to play more with the land tools in my sim. Hopefully come up with a builders group for restricted areas...

Also, I would like to start setting up sections at OU and the Wiki here (or there) for OSGrid Tech. I am of mixed mind in where it should go, here or OU. Either will work for me. I haven't heard Nyn say her feeling/thoughts. I would think JWP would like to have it there. I am also not sure if we will have a guild problem with SL types making the move to OSGrid. Let me know.

Nalates Urriah is my SL and OSGrid name - MOULagain: Nal KI#oo o83 543 - Nalates KI#111451
Support: Devokan Trust - Myst Style Stories Across Worlds
Support: OpenUru.org - Myst/Uru Open Source Resources

Last edited by Dot on 17 Feb 2010, 06:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Removed private reference

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2010, 12:02 pm 

For the planning thread: I wouldn't think it would be a priority to edit/move this thread out into the open. It will take quite a time to do.

Thanks for the best wishes. Paislee and I will sort of miss it too -- a lot of thought and effort went into it, and we will especially miss being able to display some of the lovely things in our inventories in context simply because of lower prim limits.

We're taking a break from intensive age building (so to speak), at least until the next school holiday when OSgrid Devokan will start to be developed. We'll be going exploring in the meantime and getting to know our new neighbours. [...]

Quin will still be around. Let him know the area you want him to focus on. I think the clues re the spheres will be partly in Serenia and partly in Elspeth's journal. But I'm not sure yet how it will work (hence the need for a break -- let it all percolate a bit).

I can add trusted individuals involved with story to the Devokan Estate group and then you will be able to build on Devokan. We use restricted builders' groups for that very reason.

I can let you have two squee(s) to use -- they are no copy, no mod, transfer. I couldn't find the shop where Quin got them from originally.

I'd suggest using OpenUru for the OSgrid tech data.

Last edited by Dot on 17 Feb 2010, 05:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Removed private reference

Post subject: Intermediate topic
PostPosted: 14 Jan 2010, 04:17 pm 
Retired Guild Leader
Send private message  WWW  YIM  Profile

KI Number: 57511
Alternate Avie: Nynaveve Wirefly
Nalates wrote:
Also, I would like to start setting up sections at OU and the Wiki here (or there) for OSGrid Tech. I am of mixed mind in where it should go, here or OU. Either will work for me. I haven't heard Nyn say her feeling/thoughts. I would think JWP would like to have it there. I am also not sure if we will have a guild problem with SL types making the move to OSGrid. Let me know.

*looks around a bit guiltily* Ummm... I honestly haven't been following all of this that closely, so I'm not sure what you would like my opinion on... :oops: Sorry. Please point my blind eyes in the right direction and I will happily pipe up. If its server/Wiki space you need, I am more than willing to help out there.

As far as saying goodbye to Devokan, yeah, that sucks. :( That sim was the whole reason I got into SL building in the first place (and Pais and Dot). And now I have a little shop of my own. Heh. Granted, I will still be around, but I am going to miss Devokan very much. It was a wonderful place to relax and enjoy time with friends, and we had plenty of folks gathering there.

I am willing to offer up my cottage for refugees as well; I have actually been updating my journal these last few days (gasp), and am slowly "moving" my things out each day, bit by bit. If you would like to use it as a safe refuge, then feel free to drop some cots or something in there. I can also leave the kitchen in place, so people have a place to cook, if you'd like. :) Anything that's left will be copiable, so if it needs to suffer a major disaster, it can. Heh.

Anywho, I need to slip back into work; still have another hour and a half before I am free of the torture for the day....

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2010, 01:34 pm 
Guild Member

Hey Nyn,
Dot is thinking about adding Hypergrid support and wiki information for the fans playing there, opening another GoMa branch office so to speak.

Because of the light use of GoMa a surge in our use for Hypergrid may be seen as a few of us in the OS grids taking over GoMa… She and I think alike. Our use does not preclude others’ use. But, we want your opinion on the idea.

JWP is considering allowing a Hypergrid Project on OU… so we could use those wiki and forum resources. Some measure of that will be there in any case.

I tend to have loyalties to forums that have helped out and worked with me and others. Uru Obsession and GoMa are such forums. So, I can go either way and see advantages either way, there or here. But, the long term plans for GoMa and what you want to do are major considerations for us. I’m sure I don’t know what is planned for GoMa or is it just in a holding pattern until we get the os-licences…?

PS: We should stop posting most of this here. I'll copy this into the other thread. [...]

Oh and in reading… I had meant to answer your question on the green stuff NoR used for the radiation. Those are just prims with textures. A spherical gradient was used. It goes from 100% transparent on the edges to 0% at the center. In-world transparency is used with layered prims to get a depth effect. They are gone or I would show them to you. I think some purple, pinks and reds could make a warmer prettier look. In some places they have used a sculpty surface to make irregular bumpy waves. Whether you blow the place up is totally up to you guys. I’ll write my next updates this weekend. We have several things pending. --

We should be posting in the other thread... may be we can move these recent post over and post note to the break in thread...

Nalates Urriah is my SL and OSGrid name - MOULagain: Nal KI#oo o83 543 - Nalates KI#111451

Last edited by Dot on 17 Feb 2010, 06:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2010, 01:54 pm 

As Nalates and Nynaveve already know, there was a hiccup where I accidentally deleted the edited thread. So please carry on posting in this thread. I'll re-edit the thread towards the end of this month.

Apologies all!

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2010, 11:52 pm 
Guild Member

May be we could do two threads. Make one the archive, pre-evacuation. The new thread could be the evacuation and story forward from there. That would get us a public thread and give Dot time to re-edit, not that she has to. Or we could split the editing work up.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2010, 02:48 am 

I'm happy with Nalates' idea. Go for it!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next