Guild of Maintainers Forum

It is currently 14 Dec 2017, 01:12 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: 26 Jun 2009, 01:42 pm 
Send private message  Profile

KI Number: 0
Historical note: Up to the end of January 2010, the Devokan team used a private forum here on the GoMa site to discuss and coordinate ideas for story development -- rather like the team building Zephyr Cove did for their wider development work. Various people have asked if the discussions might be made public. So here they are; I have edited them with a fairly light touch, taking out some comments and thoughts that were private. Where things have been omitted, this is indicated by [...].

After a slow start, we got going in November. I really enjoyed batting ideas back and forth, and the way the story evolved as a result.

========
Behind Devokan there are meant to be two main strands of story:
  • the ongoing story of modern-day explorers, represented by the Guild of Maintainers attempting to set up its HQ there
  • the ancient story behind the land, village and inhabitants, e.g. Quinquifid Oddenfen

At the moment the storyline focus is helping to establish a little of the background to Quin -- that he IS an explorer, albeit from an 'earlier' time (i.e. he doesn't get phased with linking books). This is probably Way Offbeam in terms of Uru canon, but -- hey! -- we're having fun with it.

One storyline I would like to pursue in future weeks is the demolishing and rebuilding of the main GoMa building. I would also like to link in somehow the exploration of Uru:CC fan ages -- particularly getting current inspection reports in game.

So, let's brainstorm ideas for future stories, so that we have a good store of them to draw on.

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2009, 07:29 pm 
Retired Guild Leader
Send private message  WWW  YIM  Profile

KI Number: 57511
Alternate Avie: Nynaveve Wirefly
I'm interested to know what you're thinking in terms of the main GoMa building. Are you looking to put up something new or "rebuild" what we currently have?

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2009, 10:11 pm 

Rebuild. It is a splendid building. However, we can adapt it further -- the collapse has resulted in lots of spare parts

One plan is to move it a little further southeast so that there is more room for sailing around the corner of the sim.

While working on the foundations, the cave beneath it can be properly terraformed -- it was very tricky digging it out with the building on top. The entrance to the cave should be from the deep channel along the north side of the sim. Nyn, your cave entrance will probably come in very handy here.

In the cave, I was planning to use some of the collapsed pillars, floors, walkways and railings to create a mezzanine floor. The lamps also can be reused.

I'm hoping to install a holodeck virtualisation machine -- sort of training area.

We will need an airlock because this cave will be below sea level.

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2009, 11:56 pm 

Well, as you all know, Devokan has been remodelled and the GoMa building has gone.

Plans for August are to develop a 'safe place' for the building, using a biodome. I'd appreciate help with planning this area out -- it will need a fenced training area to house the holodeck system for maintainer training (Thanks Ametist! It works well.) We need to make sure about 500 prims are free to use this, and some of the holodecks have a footprint of 50m x 50m.

The GoMa building (just under 1000 prims) will house offices, records (including photos) of inspections, journals and the like.

I'm still not happy with the notecard method of publishing information -- it is not very immersive. But SL ingame books themselves are clumsy to produce and use.

Screens displaying webpages might be the way to go, but again they are not always reliable.

I came across a method of producing a brochure as a HUD; it worked reasonably well, but looked ugly.

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2009, 09:57 am 
Retired Guild Leader
Send private message  WWW  YIM  Profile

KI Number: 57511
Alternate Avie: Nynaveve Wirefly
Dot, is there something I might be able to help with here? In terms of creating a book or maybe making the HUD you created look better? Let me know. My recent dive into the clothing business has given me a pretty good handle on graphics. :D And maybe Wendall could help with some scripting... ?

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2009, 11:17 am 

Yes, I was hoping it might be something we could try as a group. Thanks, Nyn :)

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2009, 01:27 am 

The other thing needed is the equivalent of terraforming. At the moment the GoMa area is a bare, flat plain surrounded by a sky dome and mountain scenery textures.

What I'd like to explore is whether the mountain scenery could be replaced by something more appropriate (to be discussed and decided), if we could create some water to separate out the main areas (this would need to use prims), if we can use giant prims for 3D rocks/whatever to add interest and depth, and so on.

And do all this within a total budget of 3k prims!

Any ideas?

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2009, 05:10 am 

Well, all this has been superceded by events (bit like politics I suppose).

Anyway, here's my take on current storyline threads:

Village life from day to day -- how the island changes through the seasons, changes noticed in the island's buildings, village gossip, interesting encounters with visitors and explorers -- recorded in diaries and in MOUL thread

GoMa building -- given the lack of activity within the forum, it seems sensible to put this on the back burner. We can use the prims somewhere else. In the meantime, my office in the Keep can function as the link with Uru:CC GoW ages and potentially inspection reports. I could do with an in-tray (notecard dispenser) where real inspection reports of current GoW ages are filed. Also, if people could let me have some screenshots of inspections in progress, I could put them up as slide shows in my office. And refer to them in my diary.

Conflict -- don't need to manufacture it; it is built in to the Uru community. So could react and comment on things happening on the forums and elsewhere

Quin's past and his links to the island -- Paislee is going to develop some ideas in her diary from the village point of view, while Quin will see what he can come up with as result (enigmatic as ever ;-) )

Selenitica -- exploring its function, discovering new facts about the 'world' it is in (e.g. the fact that its satellite regularly eclipses the SL sun!), restoration/repair of equipment/buildings, sounds changing -- what does it mean? Further down the line, Quin may well be moving here permanently, so his experiments don't cause problems for the rest of the villagers -- so that would involve building a lab, study and accommodation up there.

Links with other SL Uru groups and builds -- e.g. GoH Ride for Joy (they want another one, probably when Selenitica is settled), new Myst build, events at Eder d'Uru

Mat and Paislee are planning an art exhibition over the next couple of months.

Again further down the line, possibly pioneering work within the OSgrid -- linking between the two, which would give another maintainer storyline, but by this time it might be using things learned while in GoMa, and based on 'Serving the community' (whether they recognise it or not!)

Feel free to chip in with your own ideas, or ask questions, or whatever...

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2009, 12:05 pm 
Guild Member
Send private message  WWW  Profile

KI Number: 83543
Thanks for the update, Dot.

I am thinking of writing my diary more from the viewpoint of an SL role player. We have loads of people involved in various role plays within SL. You might even be surprised which Uruites show up in which RPG’s. :) Whatever, the idea being to acknowledge other games and people’s experience and reveal the differences in RP within Devokan. Hopefully providing a more of an IC transition path from the combat sims and others to a Myst style of play.

One of the big RPG’s (consistent 800 player login per day) recently broke up. It still exists but huge numbers of players left. In new RPG’s springing up and existing ones they are suddenly having to deal with story spill over from the former game. When someone has spent a year building their character they really don’t want to give it up. I’ve considered how one might keep much of their character but completely change play style.

Some RPG’s are afraid to allow any mention of any other RPG’s apparently for fear of losing players. Others have taken a softer approach allowing suitable adaption of story and player history that fits the new RPG.

Thinking of how non-Myst-Uru people may see Devokan coming from other RPG’s is why I added several things I think would be good for the welcome information to include.

I forgot and left out the furry and other AV styles information. Krill in dragon form might make for an interesting story. Whatever your choices, those coming in need to know how non-human AV’s are viewed. Permitted? Banned? Allowed to visit but not enter into the story.

Remember. Many consider discrimination by AV style a sign of intolerance. But, many RPG’s just can’t make it fit with their RP and story. Insilico went through the hassle when they decided furries and other non-human AV’s did not work. Part of the problem is Insilico did not want furries in the game area at all as they feel it breaks their immersive game. I can understand considering their story line and style (cyberpunk). If one has not seen the Insilico build, it is well worth the visit. Venture into the back parts of the build and the residential section. Snoop in some of the apartments (caming). These are some the most expensive in SL and there are amazingly well decorated places.

Babylon 5 restricts AV’s to those seen in the inspiring story line and TV show. They did not have a PR problem with their choice. So, I suggest that if AV styles are to be limited, it be worded like B5 did theirs and say AV’s are limited to the types found in the Myst series.

I also left out any mention of rental property being added to the info card. Most RPG’s don’t mention it in the main info card unless they are pushing it.

Exploration Path
I’m not sure how interested the development team is in having a game with an exploration path. I hope to convey in my diary that more places exist than most will see. I also don’t want to give explicit directions on how to get everywhere.

I liked that the Lost Pages is difficult to get to. The village elevator going there seems to spoil the discovery process. But if it is not there escaping that part of the build is difficult… so, I don’t have good ideas on how to improve it.

The reference to Stones by the caravan Quin was staying in is good. Most won’t know Quin or where he stayed. One will need to explore and surmise. I like that.

As someone new to Dev I would think discovering that Selinitica exists and how to get there can be a puzzle. I hope to make it obvious in the Diary something else is there.

Until I’m sure how I want to do my part of the story and get a feel for how well it fits with the others, I probably won’t post it to MOUL. I know that the thread there is getting lots of views.

I am also considering how a story line to day update might be made so new players don’t have to read tons of history. Also, whether that is even necessary, if the overall story arc is clear.

Nalates Urriah is my SL and OSGrid name - MOULagain: Nal KI#oo o83 543 - Nalates KI#111451
Support: Devokan Trust - Myst Style Stories Across Worlds
Support: OpenUru.org - Myst/Uru Open Source Resources

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2009, 02:42 pm 

That sounds good, Nalates -- thanks! I'm all for making links between different groups.

Paislee and I have tweaked the info notecard so that we are more comfortable with the wording. We're not used to the rather explicit way of putting things in SL -- but the card can be revised later if necessary. We're hoping that emphasising treating others politely, remembering the RL person behind the SL avatar, and respecting the PG status of the sim will be clear enough, without threats of bans and what-have-you.

We have had one instance of a male avatar in the sim without trousers, where we asked the avie in a pm to put some trousers on. Both of us are using Emerald, which has good sim manager tools. Mind you, what goes on when we are not there, ... who knows?

As to alternative avie forms, no problem with furries or tinies or kids (is that the right term?). One of the latter is a regular visitor -- she loves the music in Devokan and seemed worried that she wouldn't be welcome. We've also had horse, cat and dragon avatars visiting. Given the bahro storyline in Uru, I don't see why accommodating other avie forms should be a problem. Perhaps our focus on the person behind the avie makes a difference? [...]

I can change the village escalator so that only village residents can use the link to the Lost Pages. Shenn and Aleah asked for the elevator to be put in, so I would be loath to remove it. There is more than one way to escape the area.

I was wondering about how to cover increasing pages of required reading. Revising the main info card might be one way. Another is to have a summary diary/journal with brief notes. We can use my office as a repository for background information.

Last edited by Dot on 17 Feb 2010, 04:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Removed private discussion re commercial aspects

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next