Guild of Maintainers Forum

It is currently 15 Dec 2017, 04:51 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2010, 03:18 am 
Send private message  Profile

KI Number: 0
Celebrating Devokan, all day event in SL, 6 Feb 2010 -- come and go as you please!

Celebrating Devokan -- tp link

Exploring
Devokan Island -- take your time here, walk and enjoy the views at each step; use the sailboats; enjoy the merry-go-round; partake of the feast at the Inn, and enjoy its warmth and hospitality. Paislee is responsible for the island, landscaping it, blending other's expertly made creations, resulting in something special.

Lost Pages
-- take the village elevator, or use the stone TP by the caravan near the village square; when there, be sure to find the *four* different areas in this wonderful build by Shenn and Aleah -- here are two to start you off.
Lost Pages Deep Space -- tp link
Lost Pages Dream Forest -- tp link

Selenitica -- take the village elevator; this area is inspired by Cyan Worlds' Selenitic age in Myst. Take to the sky in the mini-airships. There might be a solar eclipse while you are there -- it happens round about noon. There is a simple puzzle to gain access to the mine -- don't miss it! Dot and Quinqifid are responsible for this area, with Paislee adding her magic to details such as the Glade and the lava lakes
Selenitica Base Camp -- tp link

Dancing
Lost Pages Library dance floor
Dance the day away to music selected specially for the occasion by Ktahdn/Lord Chaos -- from 10 am SL time, Saturday 6th February (thanks, Zedra, for the loan of the dance machine!)

Photography
Ever since it was first discovered, Devokan has proved popular with photographers. So what better way to celebrate the closing of this chapter than to hold a photography festival? Photograph whatever you like, using Windlight settings of your choice. Save them to your hard disk. Upload them to Flickr, tagged with 'Devokan', so we can all find and enjoy them. Add them to the Myst-Uru Devokan pool if you like!

Dot will work through them and select the best to display in her office in Devokan Keepsafe, so we can all enjoy them in SL as well as on the web.

Story and role play
There is a story behind Devokan, chronicled by explorers such as Holli, Nalates, Paislee and Jim in their journal diaries (look out for them) and on the MOUL forum in the thread Developments in Devokan (Dot, Quin and Holli). The current chapter starts from this post.

While the disappearance of Devokan Island will bring this chapter to a close, the story (and journey) will continue -- in SL in Winterfell Reverie, and in a new place made possible by a friend of Myst/Uru known as the Rock Sitter; on the OSgrid, on a chain of four islands that is now home to the tree village; and in our friendships, imaginings and dreams...

Will you be part of the continuing story?

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2010, 08:52 am 
Guild Member
Send private message  WWW  Profile

KI Number: 83543
For those wanting to travel to OSGrid and visit the new Devokan here is what you need to know. REMEMBER. The party is in SL. These are instructions for getting to OSGrid.

First, your SL viewer will work with OSGrid, as will Emerald, Snowglobe, Imprudence, KirstinLee’s S18, and Hippo. One needs to make changes to all of these viewers, except Hippo, to get to the OSGrid. I’ll get to those changes.

Second, one needs an account on the OSGrid. It is free. Signup here: OSGrid.org Signup – I recommend using a password different then your SL password. If your name has not already been used, you can use the same name you use in SL.

If you want to avoid the tech stuff, download the Hippo viewer from the OSGrid site. Hippo Viewer Download – There is also a link on the signup page. This is basically an older looking SL viewer. So, there is nothing new to learn. If you downloaded and installed you are ready to logon and visit the new Devokan.

Third, one needs to change their SL viewer so they can visit OSGrid. It is easy enough but a bit tedious. I’ll give you a method that works for all viewers. Know that for Imprudence and Hippo the method works too, but there are easier ways. Eventually we will have all those posted on OpenUru.org and in the wiki.
  • Drag the icon for your viewer with a right-click to either the desktop or the launcher. If it is in the launcher, drag to the desktop or if it is on the desktop drag to the launcher. If you have the icon in both places already, right-click the icon and select copy then Ctrl-V to paste it on the desktop and rename it.
  • When you release the mouse button select COPY HERE, avoid creating a shortcut.
  • Right click the new icon and select properties.
  • In the Properties dialog select the Shortcut tab.
  • Examine the entry in the Target field. It should be something like:
    "C:\Program Files\SecondLife\SecondLife.exe" --set InstallLanguage en
  • You want to change it to read:
    "C:\Program Files\SecondLife\SecondLife.exe" --set InstallLanguage en -loginuri http://osgrid.org:8002 -loginpage http://osgrid.org/loginscreen.php -helperuri http://osgrid.org/
  • You only need to add the red text and http links. The gray part should not change. Your ggray part may be different, which is ok.
  • Click OK and use the icon to have your viewer take you to OSGrid.

How to Find Devokan
Once in OSGrid you are running on Alpha version software. Things may seem a bit funky… they are.

To get to Devokan open the World Map. In the search field type in Devokan and search. Devokan should come up. Teleport and you are there. Remember to make an LM.

Sims are often down in OSGrid. Wait a bit and they will come back up. Depending on the time of day it may take some time.

Ruthed
Yep… you will be a total noob looker. We are figuring out how to get you a nice shape, skin, and clothes. They are around. For now ask us in world and we can give you LM’s.

Edit: Add more info

Nalates Urriah is my SL and OSGrid name - MOULagain: Nal KI#oo o83 543 - Nalates KI#111451
Support: Devokan Trust - Myst Style Stories Across Worlds
Support: OpenUru.org - Myst/Uru Open Source Resources

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2010, 12:12 pm 

The latest version of Imprudence is like Hippo in that it, too, includes a drop-down menu on the log-in screen where one can choose to log in to osgrid. I use Imprudence 1.2.0 with Windows 7, as recommended by the Imprudence wiki.

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2010, 11:15 am 
Guild Member
Send private message  WWW  Profile

KI Number: 83543
I’ve put up new pictures of both SL Devokan and OS Devokan.

SL Devokan
Albume: Second Life Devokan Pictures - Album

Devokan Sphere

Watching over Devokan

Sunsets in Devokan

Devokan Blooming – Trying to Catch Squee

The Lost Pages Library

The New Devokan in OSGrid

First Steps in OS Devokan

Devokan Grows with Spheres Story

Additional Areas in Devokan Appear

Playing with Windlight in the Forest Village (Channelwood)

Nalates Urriah is my SL and OSGrid name - MOULagain: Nal KI#oo o83 543 - Nalates KI#111451
Support: Devokan Trust - Myst Style Stories Across Worlds
Support: OpenUru.org - Myst/Uru Open Source Resources

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2010, 10:28 am 

Lovely photos, Nalates! Thanks so much.

More photos are beginning to come in.

Farewell to Selenitica -- Dot

SL Devokan Closing 2010-02-06 -- Christian Walther

Airship descent -- Baron Livingston (there are some more photos of Selenitica in his general photostream, but using a different Windlight setting)

I'm hoping to create a few albums to tell the story of the Selenitica farewell. My album up to 'Orb of Hope' ('hope' as in 'enables cross-world transport of regions' -- we should be able to rebuild Selenitica in OSgrid in time) could be the basis for the first, since I took those before the celebration began.

The second one would be a selection of Christian's and my photos, showing the gathering on Selenitica after the first part of the celebration -- some old TMP friends are there (including Ilf, Ivy and Morgon), plus new ones like Revv, Penny and Fax, many of whom stayed with us to the end. There are some shots of Mat's flyer too, which would be good to include in the story as a possible lead-in to the next chapter.

Then Baron's photos and a couple of Christian's of the Airship descent give good views of Devokan as it was.

By the way, I was thrilled at how the Selenitica event worked -- we even started the escape on the airships just as Lord Chaos's music took a dramatic orchestral turn -- perfectly timed accompaniment (how did he do that?)