Guild of Maintainers Forum

It is currently 14 Dec 2017, 01:18 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: 08 Feb 2010, 10:03 am 
Send private message  Profile

KI Number: 0
:) Welcome Mat! (Umm... :8 )

I should explain: Mat is an old friend from The Meeting Place (TMP) hood. We've met up twice in RL with others from TMP, and on numerous occasions in MOUL, There and SL.

Recently, he, Paislee, Quin and I have been meeting in OSgrid -- we're hoping to work together on the next chapter.

Besides being a keen builder and scripter, Mat has set up several OSgrid regions on his home server, some of which he has generously made available for Paislee and me to use for experimental and developmental builds.

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2010, 10:53 am 
Guild Member
Send private message  WWW  Profile

KI Number: 83543
Hi Mat, welcome to GoMa. Be sure to sign up over at OpenUru.org. I hope to handle more of the technical building and programming stuff there.

Quin, I like your ideas. Because of the new activity at the DRC I think we have new possibilities. For now visiting the FCC ages solo is definitely doable and can be RP'd. Reports and pictures for use in OSGrid and Winterfell are certainly possible. The turn in RP over the weekend gives more possibilities for cooperative RP between Cyan and fans. While I’m still unclear on what DRC is now, Cyan employees, interns, or fans… it gives me hope they will work more closely with the fans.

IN another direction… I started exploring Crux Isle in SL. Different building styles between there and Devokan. The puzzles and story give it a definite Myst/Uru feel. I would love to have diaries there, but I’m also not sure how well they would work for the Isle's puzzles.

While there I spoke to Taimaru and Jandia. Jandai has a FCAL for their SL use of Myst/Uru things in Crux Isle. She says she was clear her request for the FCAL was for SL. Most of it is non-disclosure information so she could not say a whole lot. But she does have permission to say she has a FCAL and is required to be clear about Cyan’s copyrights/trademarks and that Cyan did NOT participate in the build. I am still like …WOW… for SL. :o I’m very curious now as to how Cyan will limit their use of their content. If they move off the Plasma Engine only criteria they implied previously… well… that is a whole other thing for when we see licenses, but ...wow...

However, the FCAL has allowed Jandia to make her Isle very much a Myst/Uru place tied into Uru rather than just a Myst/Uru Style place. I’ve only made it through the first part of the puzzle, house and stairs (which I love – they are so Harry Potter/Hogwarts like) then I drown… (which is an SL death that tp’s you home, which is very Uru-like, even more so if you have a Relto in SL as your home – So, collect your LM’s as you advance. They are like a game save).

Once a MOOU server is up the Isle could be an excellent doorway into it for SL folks.

I’m curious if Dot can get a FCAL for use in Paislee’s and her building in OSGrid… I may have to request one so I can know what it says.

I hope we have enough information out of the DRC folks to know which way things are going so that we can start adjusting our RP to fit with theirs.

For Winterfell I think we need diaries that are the drop a note-card types so we can drop in diary entries and not have ownership. Did I ask if the diaries programming was mod or no mod?

In OS Dev I am curious if it is possible to rent land?
May be just places where players can leave a journal?
What about a group that can build or at least rez things to affect the story? I’m thinking of the squee cage I was playing with in SL Devokan. Player limits on prim count may need to be worked out.

I also plan to write a final diary entry for the disappearance of SL Devokan. I’ve uploadedbunches of the pictures I took to Photobucket (It’s handy for me now – I really like the linking stuff they provide.) I’ll use some of those in the diary entry along with some of Dot’s from Selinitica. I think I’ll say my Selinitica pics are well in advance of Dot’s & Quin's. May be something about a last patrol to assure people had evacuated.

There is so much going on… yay! \o/ :) :)

Nalates Urriah is my SL and OSGrid name - MOULagain: Nal KI#oo o83 543 - Nalates KI#111451
Support: Devokan Trust - Myst Style Stories Across Worlds
Support: OpenUru.org - Myst/Uru Open Source Resources

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2010, 03:59 pm 

Paislee, Mat and I had a good conversation in OSgrid yesterday evening.

While Dot and Paislee had tried to save the RAW terrain of SL Devokan before and import it into OSgrid, it sadly hadn't taken so we were assuming we would need to start from scratch.

However, Mat persuaded Paislee to have another go at saving the terrain (all this just at the last minute), then to send him the file to try on one of his home-hosted regions.

The good news is: IT WORKED! We can now have the same landform as SL Devokan in OSgrid Devokan. Paislee is over the moon about this!
Quote:
Quinquifid Oddenfen: This is an exciting development.
Paislee Myrtle: It most certainly is! I have to go plant a tree!

Next we talked about how this might be done in story:
Quote:
[12:51] Paislee Myrtle: Well, I do think that...in the final days...of Devokan...that single sphere hovered over one spot... for quite some time..it's sounds very strong. I think...it was able to match resonances on the other side! So that...the uninhabited Devokan already in place was transormed.. into this perfect landmass duplicate.

I do believe the spheres have an incomprehensible form of intelligence, incomprehensible to us.

And Serenia...plays a role in this whole story for is there not a sphere there as well... in the midst of beauty and harmony?

[12:52] mat mahogany: maybe transported DEvokn here instead of destrying it they moved it perhaps hard to see it happen till it happened
no, the building could not be moved, too fragile
and just by a small thing happeneing,
thepeice of eqpt quinn made led you here
maybe even made sure you knew??
maybe even left a small sphere to tell you??
yes perhaps serenia and channelwwood and selenitica are all saved for a reason,
maybe the sphere in the keepsafe liked it there and wanted to stay in devoakn so TOOK it to safety? along with other places it liked

[12:56] Paislee Myrtle: And so. when the residents were forced to leave..... a place was made..for them.

[12:56] mat mahogany: so small changes have been made, to accomodate a new surroundng

[12:54] Quinquifid Oddenfen: Well, yes, we had worked out that the spheres were benign, -- yes indeed and I have a small sphere in the Keepsafe, the essence of Devokan

One thought I had: Which is the ORIGINAL Devokan? Is it the one in SL? Or is it the one in OSgrid, that somehow made a mirror of itself in SL?

Anyway... we discussed how the team working worked:
Quote:
[14:23] Quinquifid Oddenfen: I'm talking about how we have been working as a team...
[14:23] mat mahogany: ah the style you mean?
[14:23] Quinquifid Oddenfen: No. It's more a way of working...
[14:23] Paislee Myrtle: bouncing ideas off each other.
[14:23] Quinquifid Oddenfen: within a framework
[14:24] mat mahogany: oh kewl, you would let me do that??
[14:24] Quinquifid Oddenfen: Yes -- we did that inworld and in forum
[14:24] Quinquifid Oddenfen: Yes, if you would like to
[14:24] mat mahogany: woah,
[14:24] Quinquifid Oddenfen: then, when we were clear about things we went ahead and did them in world
[14:24] mat mahogany: big decisions
[14:24] Quinquifid Oddenfen: This is how it worked with Nalates... She was wanting to develop a parallel story, and tie in her own RP in another game. What we did was discuss things beforehand in the forum, try ideas out between each other and then agree... which direction to take
[14:26] mat mahogany: so could mat do the same perhaps?
[14:26] Quinquifid Oddenfen: Yes :-)
[14:26] mat mahogany: would be good

We then discussed the character Mat might like to play. It seems 'modern ex-military explorer' is a good start. We also thought about how he might have come to know about Devokan.
Quote:
[14:58] Paislee Myrtle: Well, here's a thought... You know that old Elspeth had a secret admirer...
[14:58] mat mahogany: hmm, yes???
[14:58] Quinquifid Oddenfen: (I was thinking that ;-) )
[14:58] Paislee Myrtle: Perhaps that man was the man Mat encountered. And...perhaps that man asked Mat to deliver the gift... since he was too old and frail to do it himself.
[14:59] Quinquifid Oddenfen: Yes. Becasue that ties you in with an existing thread
[14:59] Paislee Myrtle: So Mat arrives covertly with the gift... and discovers all that is transpiring... and becomes entwined in the story.
[14:59] mat mahogany: i have gifts, are they made of chocolate??
[15:00] Paislee Myrtle: hehehe...it was a music box... thus explaining his arrival and prior connection to Devokan.
[15:00] Quinquifid Oddenfen: You could have some chocs in the box if you like
[15:00] mat mahogany: well it sounds like a plan
[15:00] Quinquifid Oddenfen: Excellent!
[15:00] mat mahogany: ok kewl. good, I FIT!!)
[15:00] Paislee Myrtle: That way, Mat is left to be simply who he is...
[15:00] Quinquifid Oddenfen: And it leaves you free to develop your own character
[15:00] Paislee Myrtle: an adventurer who did a favor for a dying man.
[15:00] Quinquifid Oddenfen: Yes
[15:00] mat mahogany: ty

We'll need to think a bit more on how this might work -- for example why Mat also knows about the OSgrid regions -- but it is a way to start thinking about the character.

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2010, 04:35 pm 
Guild Member

We have a lot of worlds that we may want to add in some way. OSGrid and SL are to me very OOC aspects of what we are doing.

Now that we have MOUL:again to play with I would like to have a neighborhood for either GoMa or Devokan there. I'm also thinking about SL and OS neighborhoods but I'm currently ambivalent about those. I suspect we may see a D'ni Refugee hood in MOUL:again... or [15:08] granelda Oh: SL Refugee's hood....?....:)

Also, since we are RL current day explorers playing ourselves, getting too far away from that idea is likely to create story problems and confuse new players. That we went on from their to bizzare places like EVE (a time shift to the future) or Land of NoR (dimensional shift to a demon infested parallel world) and any other imaginable worlds needs to be simple and easy for others to pick up and work with. The ARG aspect is that we have computers and are going to all these worlds to play. Making some IC description of that which allows the diversity gives us a lot of flexibility.

May be it wasn't ___ I saw kissing ___... but a ghostly vision of Elspeth kissing Mat... (this is an insider tease). :p

My thing is as current day explorers we have all been to other places. Many will have time and effort in their other world characters and know others and have relationships and character history now. They are known by new friends in new ways. Those things have changed and colored us. It just seems reasonable to me to deal with it rather then force a restart.

Nalates Urriah is my SL and OSGrid name - MOULagain: Nal KI#oo o83 543 - Nalates KI#111451

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2010, 04:57 pm 

I suspect we're all thinking along the same lines here re different worlds/dimensions/time shifts. Quin probably only mentioned 'OSgrid' to make it clear which Devokan world he was referring to.

I would like a Devokan hood... a GoMa hood too. They would have different purposes and may well attract different groups (all to the good).

Going into the cavern with people in it will be a new experience for Quin, of course. He did try his hand at exploring/inspecting a GoW age one time -- when he managed to demolish part of his house in an experiment that went awry, if you remember.

Mat and Elspeth? Umm it would be a great-aunt-friendly kiss I think -- different time periods (and grrrrrrrrrr!)

I agree about bringing in character developed in other worlds -- that too is part of you in the you-are-you idea.

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2010, 12:46 pm 

I suggest that we continue to use this thread for planning future storyline involving OSgrid, and a separate one for storyline involving the Cavern. The base on SL Winterfell will be part of both.

Current work on the OSgrid is going well, but it will be a few weeks I suspect before we can properly open up to explorers.

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2010, 12:38 am 

Quin, Mat, Paislee and I were able to discuss things yesterday evening at different times. We're going to adjust the OSgrid build into two main areas, which should give us more variety in environment and be fun to build.

The Devokans Deepwater (Serenia) and Waysmeet (Channelwood) comprise an ancient, early civilisation area. This could be used now for storyline: Deepwater is the putative source of the spheres' power.

Quin is going to try to move his skylab to one of these two. OOC He still needs to build a control panel for the mechanism in the lab's core.

The Devokans Touchstone and Skysong are going to follow a style based roughly on 1930s science fiction/fantasy designs in a rural setting. This will take some time to develop. There are some experiments in this direction on the home-based sims (thanks for making these available, Mat!)

By separating the two areas, it gives us space and time to develop the ideas and takes some of the pressure off.

The current plan is to have Touchstone (which mirrors SL Devokan's terrain) house a central information and linking area where the old Devokan Inn was (we're calling it the New Inn at the moment). Mat's IC character will possibly have a base on this island.

Skysong will be experimental fantasy builds that may change from time to time... Quin will be strangely drawn to this...

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2010, 05:22 am 

I've now set up a blog. I'm slowly adding stuff to it -- including past story. The address is http://blog.devokan.net

If you would like to be added as an author, please pm me with a preferred username, first and last name (optional) and email address.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2010, 11:56 am 

I've been working on some of the OSgrid islands to diversify the environments.

Devokan Deepwater (was Serenia)
At ground level the island was possibly used for some form of ritual -- processions, music, etc. We could develop a puzzle based on pitch intervals heard at different stations (e.g. the archways). Reference pitch given by drum tuned to C, and C chime for bell.

At the heart of the central building is a golden mechanism containing one of the glowing spheres. Benches surround the mechanism -- could develop a puzzle clue from the pattern of cushion colours.

Directly beneath the sphere is a small pool of water, through which may be glimpsed a moving star field. Jumping into the pool takes you to the star chamber, where we could have a working portal to another area.

Underneath the main lake is a series of caves. These are not yet decorated or used. Ideas welcome!

Devokan Waysmeet (was Channelwood)
The tree village is at sea level.

Underneath but totally separate from the tree village (i.e. treat it as another 'age') is an expansion of the Selenitica mine. I'm planning to make this the equivalent of the Keep in SL, so my desk/office will be there, plus reference books and journals relevant to GoMa and MOUL. This would also include little alcoves where people can adjust their avatars in private.

Separate from my office area will be a 3D maze -- only three levels are possible, but that should be enough. I gather Jen in SL put a hamster ball in the Selenitica maze, and people enjoyed using it to roll through the maze. Perhaps we could develop something similar here.

High in the sky will be a translated Selenitica. I've not started this yet, but am planning it in my head.

One thing I need help with: suitable hi-tech drone and machinery sounds. They need to be subtle and not obviously repetitive when looped. Any offers?

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2010, 03:33 pm 
Guild Member

I might be able to do something with the sounds.

Next week I have actual RL work, so I'm not sure when.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next