Guild of Maintainers Forum

It is currently 14 Dec 2017, 01:12 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2010, 02:33 pm 
Send private message  Profile

KI Number: 0
Up to this point, story planning for Devokan has been done in a private forum accessible to a small team. However, we'd like to make it more open so that everyone who would like to feels they can take part.

When Dot has some spare time (probably later this month) she is going to edit the main story development thread from the private forum and post it here.

So, welcome to the Devokan story planning thread!

If you would like to catch up with the story that has been developing over the last couple of months, read the thread in the MOUL Off-Topic forum from here: http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic. ... 437#308437

Last edited by Dot on 23 Feb 2010, 07:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Added OOC tag to title

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2010, 02:52 pm 

Spring has come early to Devokan Island in SL. We couldn't face ending it in the gloom and bleakness of winter.

The spheres might have had something to do with it, bringing fresh hope of new things back from where they originate...

The SL sim that hosted Channelwood will disappear on 21st January.

The SL Devokan full sim goes on 7th February. We need to clear the sim before that, or items will disappear from our inventory. So 6th February will be the grand clear up day.

In the meantime, we'd love to go out with a celebration or two over the next couple of weekends. So if you have any ideas, please post them here.

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2010, 11:28 am 

Here's a summary of where things are with the move, and possible story threads that might be developed.

Devokan (SL)
Most inhabitants on the main island have now emptied their homes. I contacted the GoH in case they would like to host an event before the sim goes, but haven't heard back from them yet.

The nexus in front of the inn is going to be disabled. However, a new portal archway will appear in place of the pavilion. This is from the OSgrid Serenia build, but works in a similar way to the single-person SL portals. We might need to think of a storyline to explain how it got there.

It would be great if we could place an open book by the portal archway that gives a notecard explaining how to get to the OSgrid builds (the portal shows the new Channelwood). Any volunteers to write one?

Devokan Eve and Devokan Keepsafe, Winterfell Reverie (SL)
Paislee, Quin, Jim and I have moved to an area on Winterfell Reverie. This is described by the estate owner as a 'fantasy medieval sim', so the established Devokan architectural style fits in well with this.

Paislee and I are sharing a cottage as a base; this is open to the public (of course). We have a small library at the bottom of the garden (beats a garden shed any day), which is good if you want a bit of time on your own. Pepper the cat lives here.

Jim is established in his own cottage. He is keeping a journal too -- picking up on Nalates' suggestion for the disappearance of other Myst/Uru areas such as Misty Ahnonay.

Quin is based in the Keep, which will be used for a continuation of his experiments on the Selenitica crystals and an investigation (if possible) of the spheres.

The Devokan Flyer is parked high above the Keep, as Quin's living quarters.

I shall be using the top room of the Keep as a GoMa office, as before. I will try to get documentation up to date by the end of the month (my apologies). This will include information on how to get to the areas in OSgrid.

Explorers' diary journals can be placed anywhere in these two parcels -- just ask Paislee, Quin or myself.

Behind the Keep is another of the portal archways.

The little sailboat in front of the Keep can be used to explore the surrounding area -- there are some intriguing and good-quality builds -- some of these might spark ideas.

Depending on how the development described below goes over the next few months, we might shrink the two parcels to just one, so that Monte's vision for his land is fulfilled (see below).

The Journey Continues, Mists Edge (SL mainland)
This is a new development, and the result of negotiations mentioned in the Dev. in Dev. threads.

The land owner, Monte Swashbuckler, would like to develop a Myst/Uru-style build for the community to enjoy, perhaps preserving elements from Myst/Uru builds that are disappearing from SL. In MOUL, Monte was known as the Rock Sitter. He and his wife came up with the name 'The Journey Continues'. I'm hoping we might be able to develop a story thread based on this, through discussion with them.

Paislee and I are going to be involved in developing the ground level: an 'underground' maze based on the one in Selenitica (which will disappear on 7th February), and a garden/rest area of the sort Paislee excels at. Work on this will start early in February. We're hoping to incorporate a simple self-contained puzzle with clues in the garden to enable access to the maze. The garden will also include one of the portal archways.

The intention is that the maze will eventually house offices for GoMa and information points for accessing the various grids explorers are moving to, as well as inspection reports for ages accessed via Uru:CC/offlineKI.

Another Myst/Uru-style builder, Catseye, will be developing an area in the sky above the land, for social events. This is currently being discussed and planned.

Channelwood and Serenia (OSgrid)
These areas are more or less complete (for now ;) ). Could we perhaps try writing inspection reports on them?

Selenitica and Devokan (OSgrid)
These will be developed over the coming months. Devokan will have a different feel to the one in SL, in that it will be from an earlier period in its supposed history -- notably, inspired by the Dark Ages in British history (Insular Celtic). Ogham script might be useful as a basis for puzzles.

Selenitica is still up in the air (hehe). It may be possible to rebuild elements from the SL Selenitica in OSgrid (if we've time). We'll have to see...

You can assume that Quin's Aunt Elspeth spent considerable time here in all four islands. Details of her life (we hope) will emerge over time.

Portal developments on OSgrid
Mat has successfully developed, with some of the keen OSgrid scripters, a way of linking directly between sims without going via the map. This will make 'proper' linking books possible, provided the sims involved have a particular setting enabled. This has been set for all four of the Devokan sims in OSgrid, and for Mat's sim The Gallery.

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2010, 01:17 pm 
Guild Member
Send private message  WWW  Profile

KI Number: 83543
Thanks for the post!

Elspeth and the people of New Devokan are interesting. I'll keep wondering about them. I'll find tidbits to indicate they are around, but rely on you or 'Quin' to develop them.

We can blame the portal changes on Quin taking the teleport links for use in New Dev or Winterfell. The new one can be something my friends adapted for temporary use...

Winterfell is an interesting place. I have not been able to decide if it is a RP area or not. There are interesting things there. Paislee and your building there in a Myst-Uru style is a nice addition. I'll have to find Jim's diary.

I've thought about adding a time shift factor to the new teleporting technology to explain arriving in New Devokan at an earlier time. If it is uncontrollable, that avoid the problem of people time traveling to change things. Winterfell's medieval time frame could be explained.

I was wondering if the diary script was mod or no mod, I think I asked but have forgotten. I was thinking I could change it to something the land owner could own but assign to others for their use. That would save problems with land owner ship and build rights in Winterfell. Once we get a section up at OU we could work out the script details.

Diaries might go in a bookshelf in one of the Winterfell places. The GoMa office might be a good place. I'm think visitors could find them there easily.

I set a cage (3 prim) out in Devokan (SL). In some measure it was about moving things from my sim to SL and and back. I thought about putting squee in it. But at 19 prim each I wanted to ask first. I could burn up 50 to 100 prims putting them and fruit in the cage... I think a couple of apples will do...

Devokan (SL) is gorgeous. The little frogs and squirrels are a very nice touch. I think the deer is really neat. I've been taking pics but have yet to post them somewhere.

I am developing a script for animating animals random movement. It is a mix of new tech and my novice use of it. But I can provide you a copy for use in New Devokan. I have tested it in SL but need to test it on my sim. There are lots of complications with movement and physical or not when moving things.

I am playing with the new PrimStar and Blender 2.49b. I need a special door for a friend. I'm writing an article for my blog. So, I'm somewhat distracted. Plus there are some work things I'm finishing.

Nalates Urriah is my SL and OSGrid name - MOULagain: Nal KI#oo o83 543 - Nalates KI#111451
Support: Devokan Trust - Myst Style Stories Across Worlds
Support: OpenUru.org - Myst/Uru Open Source Resources

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2010, 02:27 pm 

Winterfell does encourage RP, as far as I can tell. It also encourages literary efforts, plus the usual dance type event. For example, the Winterfell group sends out invites to weekly poetry readings, to rez-day (ugly word) celebrations, that sort of thing.

The dragon that visited us in Winterfell was definitely into RP. Perhaps it is a freeform casual RP area? We certainly feel comfortable there.

The new portal, I think, might not be one from your friends. It looks too ancient for that. (It's appeared in SL Devokan already, and is working nicely.) See what you think. You need to touch the ground at the base of the archway; a menu will open up for available destinations.

Re catching animals: you're OK for prim numbers in Devokan, but not in Winterfell. We've already hit the limit in Devokan Eve (Paislee's parcel), but not in Keepsafe (my parcel ;-) ).

The animal movement script sounds good.

=====
Edit: Thinking some more about the portal... I've realised we probably need two variants, and I might have got them the wrong way round at the moment. For Myst/Uru builds it makes sense to continue the linking book method (so I will need to set this up asap).

However, the ancient archway would make a splendid portal for the OSgrid using Mat et al.'s script. In SL we could set it up so that it links to just one place, where there is info on how to get to the OSgrid builds.

=====
Edit 2: I've put working linking books now on the ground by the archways -- just click on them, choose destination and then click on the portal effect that opens up (you might have to click the portal cloud more than once).

I'll try to get something working for the SL archways over the next day or so.

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2010, 02:00 am 

I hope we've not brought disaster to Winterfell, but the openspace island next door to us, Winterfell Libris, is about to suffer the same fate as the original Devokan chain. The estate owner sent a note round to the whole Winterfell community that it will close by the end of January, and that coastlines of the remaining islands will be reshaped from the 1st February.

Paislee has been having adventures in OSgrid; they are in her journal in world, and Dot will be posting them on the MOUL thread. They will be giving descriptions of the new islands, and touching on the use of the archways as portals.

Dot has set up, with Mat's help, a 'proper' working linking book to Serenia in the small bookroom in OSgrid Channelwood. This is proof-of-concept stuff. It won't be possible to do this in SL (sadly), but it is VERY reminiscent of using linking books in MOUL.

From some of the chat on the D'ni Refugees' channel in SL yesterday, we need to get information about first steps on the OSgrid to the community asap, so that people know what to expect.

=====
Edit: Late breaking news re Winterfell Libris sim -- it has been saved for the Winterfell community. Details here: http://winterfell.ning.com/profiles/blo ... ell-libris

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2010, 05:30 am 

OSgrid-SL story ideas (thinking out loud)

On the D'ni Refugees chat channel are increasing mentions of OSgrid. Also DMom is hoping to include places to visit in OSgrid and other OS-based grids in the D'ni Voice.

Nalates: how do you think should we handle descriptions of the linking technology we use to get to OSgrid? Initially you and I linked there using the HIPPO transporter. Now, for my own nefarious purposes, it would be useful if I found a way to get back there on my own, but not sure how to explain this -- unless a passage from my aunt's journal explained how to do it (I suppose).

Since Paislee will be involving me in her adventures in OSgrid, I'd better work out a way pdq. Otherwise we will both be stuck! From Paislee's journal:
Quote:
On one of my last forays into the large trees to the north (which is now gone altogether!) I chanced to step too close to the rotating surface...I found I could not escape its grip. Instead I was enveloped in a warm, soft glow that was hypnotic. My fear vanished ~ replaced by a calming doziness...

I awakened, my cheek pressed against some rough-hewn boards. The sound of gently lapping waves, birdsong, and chirping of insects filled my ears. I thought I had merely fallen asleep from exhaustion, but as I looked around I was astonished to find this was not the familiar island of trees I'd visited so often from Devokan, but a new place!

This suggests that part of the sphere itself could be the linking mechanism. It would make sense if I could capture one of the OSgrid's mini-spheres and take it back to SL Keepsafe for studying (could I have one, please, Paislee?). Perhaps a passage in Elspeth's journal will explain them too.

Also, I could report on MOUL about spotting what Paislee was doing, and following her at a distance.

Practicalities
I am very aware of the need to set up a reception place for SL Uruites coming to OSgrid -- particularly the need for male avies to get hold of a correctly gendered skin and shape. Unfortunately, lbsa plaza (the landing point for new avies) does not always load completely for me, and I'm wondering whether others have the same problem.

How about if we set up a linking book on Devokan that will take people to a simpler sky build (which should load quickly), where they can pick up a basic shape and clothing set, plus notecards of freebie places and hints and tips for coping with OSgrid vagaries.

The thing is, I don't have much spare time at the moment. Is anyone able to start compiling such hints and tips? And maybe put together 'Instant avie' kits in a folder on the OSgrid? Help here would be much appreciated.

We could distribute the hints and tips to the D'ni Refugees in SL via the D'ni Voice, and from a notecard dispenser in Keepsafe, as well as within OSgrid.

We could also do with a list of who has already made it over to OSgrid, and their avie names. I know that Dot has set up a group on OSgrid called D'ni Refugees: it would be worth mentioning this to the people in SL. Unfortunately group notices in OSgrid don't take attachments at the moment (at least they didn't when we tried them earlier), so we can't use them to get the notecard info out. Perhaps we need to do that by webpage instead.

Ning or blog?
Does anyone have experience of Nings? Both New Babbage and Winterfell have Nings...

Would a Ning be appropriate for Devokan, rather than a blog? (Can you have more than one person post to a blog? -- showing ignorance here)

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2010, 09:19 am 
Retired Guild Leader
Send private message  WWW  YIM  Profile

KI Number: 57511
Alternate Avie: Nynaveve Wirefly
Quinquifid wrote:
Ning or blog?
Does anyone have experience of Nings? Both New Babbage and Winterfell have Nings...

Would a Ning be appropriate for Devokan, rather than a blog? (Can you have more than one person post to a blog? -- showing ignorance here)

Yes you can have more than one person post to a blog. :)

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2010, 12:01 pm 
Guild Member
Send private message  WWW  Profile

KI Number: 83543
Explaining the linking… There are several possibilities. Earlier I suggested adding a concept that while linking with time shifts could provide many answers it offers some challenges. To keep in line with Myst lore I think one would want to avoid one having control of time. I have not read all the lore to completely understand what the Myst concept is or was to be. They were talking about it on OU in regard to cleaning up linking and instances in Uru.

However the Ahnonay story was about faking time travel. One might consider that it was about faking time travel within an age. So, I think that is important to keep the idea they could not control tme once the book and age were written. Much of the king’s claim could be seen as that he could control time travel and arrive at different times in the SAME age. What I got from those writing about time is that once an age book is written the time shift is fixed. Using the idea of a shift when the book is written and then time passes at the same rate in all ages allows one to explain some of the oddities of our gaming worlds. That offers opportunity without breaking things.

I bring this up because in RL/OOC people are commonly traveling from Star Trek and post apocalyptic ages/games to medieval ages/games. In our series we are current-day-explorers dealing with ‘archeology’ as we explore the D’ni …ruins. That limits us to what we can do and understand. I think we need way to paraphrase what we are doing with our workstations in some IC way to match the Myst-Uru style of RP with ARG aspects.

Since the ink used to write D’ni age books was special we can build on that. We use electronics and the Star Trek worlds use electronics also. Current day nano-technology is super tiny machines and circuits that appear almost magical. We are using the technology now to make glass that never has to be cleaned and super strong carbon tubes (carbon fiber) to make amazingly strong materials. We can mix those so that the ink has electrical properties and link books are a type of electronics, like the electronics printed on paper devices companies are experimenting with now. So, a book could be a large electronic thing that is based in our current ideas of string theory physics and its 11 dimensions, which gives one a very flexible universe to play with. It also allows us different ways to explain mixing linking books and Stargates, which Uru fans seem to enjoy doing. Plus they toss in fun Dr. Who things, Tardis, Daleks…

Quin could get a large bottle of nanites from my stores (currently stashed in my hotel room in Minkartah), make ink from it and write books based on Elspeth’s writing with properties beyond basic link books. Or the spheres could be found to be related to Stargate tech and controllable. Elspeth could explain how to control them… or at least as much as she understood. Or there could be a box of books or pages found in Lost Pages that change when taken somewhere. Writing could appear on arrival…

I need to make some bottles of stuff and leave them as ‘take a copy’… that would allow us to let people effect the environment to support their story. Rather than have to write a diary entry to explain something and people have to read it to know what is happening, they would see something that could clue them… too many ideas.

Well… you get my ideas. Perhaps that will give you ideas.

Ning vs blogs… I use WordPress for my free blog and continue intend to move it to one of my web sites. Ning is something I’m very fuzzy about. OU has blog, wiki, and forum resources available. Which is better I can’t say. But, there are some things about blogs and forums that are related.

I think of a blog as a forum with all opening posts by the owner or a small team. It is possible to have a number of people that can post articles on a blog. Blogs do allow comments and can allow a series of branching sub-threads. The SL blogs demonstrate that well. One can reply/comment on the opening post or reply to one of the comments. In a way it provides better trains of conversation than a forum. The SL blog shows that extended conversations have display problems after just a few replies to replies.

How is Ning better or worse? I don’t know. A quick look around reveals this: Is Ning the Next step? The ability to transport data to a new platform is always a consideration for me. Ning seems to lack that. Ning is apparently more of a social networking tool than a blog or forum. I get it is somewhat like Facebook but allows private development of a Facebook like app. I need to learn more to make intelligent comments.

WordPress allows export and is a common enough format most services support it. It also allows one to backup a blog easily… hmmmm… I prolly ought to do that. It is not that easy to use as a ‘primary’ social networking tool and is mostly a one way communication tool.

Nalates Urriah is my SL and OSGrid name - MOULagain: Nal KI#oo o83 543 - Nalates KI#111451
Support: Devokan Trust - Myst Style Stories Across Worlds
Support: OpenUru.org - Myst/Uru Open Source Resources

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2010, 03:23 am 

When I first read your post last night, I started panicking. However, it is something we need to think through, so thanks for raising all these points.

Anyway, here's a few thoughts.

By coincidence, I've just finished proofreading a couple of books, both of which included material on the mathematical concepts of general relativity -- one book was an introduction to the theory, the other was on galaxy formation. (Fortunately, you don't have to necessarily understand books to proofread them.) So, yes, I was thinking in terms of slipping orthogonally into a fresh set of dimensions, particularly up at Winterfell when travelling from one sim to another.

I suspect Quin originates from a different space-time to Uru explorers; hence the difference in technology. I also don't think Quin is D'ni. Although he gave me a linking book, that was because he knew I was comfortable with that particular metaphor for linking. He gave one to Jim for the same reason.

Paislee's most recent report mentions Quin's research on OSgrid. Just as she was about to touch the small blue orb in Channelwood, here's what happened:
Quote:
"Stop! Do not touch that sphere, Miss Paislee! You will disturb its resonance and my work here will be undone!"

Astonishment filled me as I turned to see a very familiar face...that of Quinquifid Oddenfen! While I stood there gaping like a fish he explained briefly that this sphere was a sort of hub for a system that allowed him to travel here to the world I had stumbled into. [...]

Luckily he had established a small camp at a neighboring island and swiftly led the way to a sort of portal...At least that is what he called it. An image of our destination shimmered in the opening, so with a little encouragement from Quin I stepped through...

Part of me wonders why Quin hasn't bothered to fill the rest of us in with what he's been up to, but then... :roll:

By the way, I'm feeling a bit uneasy with using Channelwood and Serenia for sim names in OSgrid. I'm wondering whether we should go instead for names outside the Myst/Uru canon (if it is possible to change them at this point) -- perhaps as two-part names, with Devokan as the first (so people can find easily them by searching on the map), and perhaps using appropriate Brythonic Celtic words for the second.

Last edited by Dot on 29 Jan 2010, 08:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Corrected text on edited books