Guild of Maintainers Forum

It is currently 20 Nov 2017, 04:51 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: 31 Jan 2010, 02:17 pm 
Guild Member
Send private message  WWW  Profile

KI Number: 83543
I had not seen this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6EBp033eLM

Nalates Urriah is my SL and OSGrid name - MOULagain: Nal KI#oo o83 543 - Nalates KI#111451
Support: Devokan Trust - Myst Style Stories Across Worlds
Support: OpenUru.org - Myst/Uru Open Source Resources

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2010, 07:15 am 
Send private message  Profile

KI Number: 0
I wonder if the new builds on the OSgrid will ever prove as popular with photographers as those on SL.

Over the weekend Paislee and I were able to discuss new names for the story regions on OSgrid. It is possible to change them -- the hosting company said that was fine, provided the names haven't already been taken. I'm setting this in motion later today.

Devokan -- stays the same
Devokan Waysmeet -- was Channelwood
Devokan Deepwater -- was Serenia
Devokan Touchstone -- was Selenitica

These names will make it easier to find all four related islands on the OSgrid -- just search for 'Devokan' on the map as usual.

If we use Devokan Keepsafe as the new area name in SL it might avoid some of the confusion Nalates pointed out.

A certain amount of irrational exuberance is evident in some recent changes in SL Devokan. Paislee would like the sim to go out with a bang rather than a whimper. Any ideas?

Sadly the GoH are unable to organise a 'Flight for Joy' on the last Saturday (6 Feb).

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2010, 01:43 pm 
Guild Member

Other than voting for New Devokan for OS grid… but that only matters, if you build the move from SL to OS into the story.

I like the name changes. Making them easier to find is a smart idea.

Will it be as photographed? Probably not. :( There are not as many people. Until we get something like a SLURL for the Hypergrid… traffic is going to be low. I do think the economy will push more people to OSGrid. As we move to Beta we will likely see more people in OSGrid. However, Paislee and you do an exception job of building. You may well make a showcase place for OSGrid.

On the closing… Is there any way to know when the sim will actually go down? We sort of have a tradition of being in Uru when the server actually goes down. If we can know when, I would plan a party before then, a couple of hours. Publicize it daily in the Voice. Dmom can help with that. Just let her know you want the notice to run each day. Run a countdown in the Refugees announcements… 5 days to close, be there at 10PM SL for the closing party or RP event… then 4, …3… etc. Probably should use the other Myst groups for the countdown too. Start a count down on MOUL, new thread. Use the ‘Happenings’ thread as an IC count down. Use the new one as an OOC count down. Title it Devokan Closing Party to signal an ending once in a life time event, marketing urgency thing. Send a notice to Messengers. Make the titles dramatic and explain realistically in the article body.

All of these I would frame as a positive notice of planned close and rebirth to WinterFell, what is Mento’s place called?, and OSGrid. Perhaps plan a trip to Winterfell. Have an LM giver for Winterfell. Have note card for OSGrid access. Then at the server down go to Winterfell. We get that 5 or 10 minute warning before a server goes down. SL’ers can flee to Winterfell or wait for a forced logoff. From there we can see who wants to go to OSGrid. We could do a welcome thing to OSGrid like many did for those new to SL. That might mean having links and helpers to take people to get clothes and skins and OMG hair!

This happens on Saturday, so we might get a good turnout. I suspect only a few will show up, but that is Uru fans.

A place with dance music, Thor or Dich may DJ a party. They might do it for free if they get to promote their regular venues… May be split a parcel off close to the dance floor like a lounge for quite music and a place to talk… voice users. Probably ought to decide on that… for some voice only works well in meetings and 1 to 1 conversations. Multiple voice conversations are chaotic. But, this is minor. Most SL’ers can work these things out on their own.

To keep it IC we can build the story for a party and a call to old friends from the Cavern to make one last visit to the old Devokan. Or… whatever…

Of course I am assuming you mean ‘bang’ as something other than a nuclear explosion… I might be able to come up with a suitcase nuke of that is what you have in mind. They are just big particle effect scripts. Only the griefer and combat game versions actually push people or objects and those are prolly not a good idea.

Nalates Urriah is my SL and OSGrid name - MOULagain: Nal KI#oo o83 543 - Nalates KI#111451

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2010, 06:18 am 

What about a mixture of RP and whatever? I suspect that many of us involved within the team are not actually party goers or dancers (speaking for myself, Dot and Paislee here).

I'm not sure about the exact time the sim will disappear -- only Paislee will know that. However, what we could do is plan and time an event, possibly an hour or two before midnight GMT/UTC.

Here's an outline of a possible explosive event:
  • go up to Selenitica via the lift system, explore and generally mill around as explorers do (hopefully we might be able to have a special audio stream for the event);
  • give a warning that the Selentica satellite is about to be affected;
  • get on board the Devokan Flyer, start engines, and witness explosion of satellite from the Flyer;
  • fly down to the island.

From there we could take the portal to Winterfell Reverie, queuing politely in true MOUL fashion.

Preparation: take out the mine maze from the satellite; block the cave entrance; open up and disguise a hole in the centre of Selenitica so that the Flyer can get through (new lava pit?); brief someone with a good graphics card to take screenshots (upload to Flickr Devokan group pool).

===
Edit: Dot has just heard from Lord Chaos that he will be able to supply music for the event -- maybe even come along if time allows.

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2010, 06:17 pm 

This all sounds good to me.

While the latest developments may be irrational...I do hope they are fun.

:D

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2010, 01:28 pm 

This morning Nalates and I were able to discuss this event in world. Here's what we came up with.

First, it won't be possible in the time to set up anything visual. So we're aiming for a pleasant, enjoyable, gently low-key event, with different spaces used for different activities or conversations -- so sailboats, mini-airships, skydiving, exploring, taking photos (could we run a small competition?), ...

The event will start from about 10 am Pacific/SL time (1 pm Eastern, or 6 pm UTC) -- the ending is open ended at the moment, though midnight UTC would be potentially symbolic.

One idea is for one or two of us to be available through the day (different people at different times -- it should not be a burden to anyone, nor is there any pressure to participate in this) to answer questions about what is happening and our plans for the future -- for we can confirm that the story of Devokan is not coming to an end, but rather we are entering into a new chapter.

To emphasise this we could take small field trips to the new base at Winterfell Reverie via the archway portal, or even (with pre-prepared notecards of instructions and/or webpage instructions) to the new lands on the OSgrid.

For those that like to dance, I suggest setting up the upper floor in the Lost Pages Library as a dance floor. Does anyone have an appropriate dancing system (I don't know what is involved!) -- who could we ask to help with this?

Lord Chaos has confirmed that music will be streaming from 10 am Pacific time -- and 'I can queue up enough music to keep you dancing until you fall over. :) ... I'll do a mix of songs, looking back, looking forward. Sigh. We've gotten used to this...'

Some further ideas: a photo exhibition in the Lighthouse showing different stages and builds of Devokan over the months; a photo competition for explorers (to be uploaded to Flickr, say, for cost reasons and for ease of judging); a gift of an explorer journal to everyone who comes; any more suggestions?

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2010, 06:02 am 

Well, the celebration is planned and invitations have been sent out -- hopefully tomorrow will be relaxed and enjoyable for all, a fitting end to a period that has provided Paislee and myself with some very precious memories.

Thank you all for what you have given... :)

And now to look ahead. If there are developments in the Cavern, how do we weave them into this parallel storyline? For one hope all along has been to link Uru proper with Devokan (both in There and now on the Hypergrid).

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2010, 08:03 am 
Guild Member

The DRC and the tripped sensors are probably key.

In each story there is usually a prime mover. One that handles the over arching story. In Devokan that is the sim owners. For the Cavern it will be interesting whether someone at Cyan is going to play in the open source world of Uru.

If they do, we can play off what they do. But, without fore knowledge of where this is going or what will be happening with open source and when, we have to leave it pretty open.

Since we have no shards up, actually going into the Cavern doesn't work for me. On the other hand, we could consider Eder Gira in SL the cavern. That could lead to story conflicts if the DRC does not play with us, but only deals with their story.

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2010, 12:27 pm 

I wonder whether 'parallel' is the key word in Dot's post.

How I've understood the storytelling is that we are separate from the official story thread, but as explorers can react to what is going on there and thereby change the direction of our own story if need be -- which is what you were saying.

I don't see us going into the cavern just yet -- not even to the tribute ages in SL. There's plenty else we could be doing in the meantime.

But going solo to some of the Uru:CC fan ages might be possible, perhaps linking it with GoMa and GoW. That would be a preliminary step. Are there any friendly GoW Writers also in SL? Perhaps we could coordinate something with them, and include screenshots and inspection reports of their age in Dot's office.

But is that a direction people would like to explore?

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2010, 06:10 am 
Guild Member

Hi all,

Mat Mahogany here.

Just though Id make a post to say HI.

Hope to make more posts in the furure.

XX

Mat

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next