Guild of Maintainers Forum

It is currently 20 Nov 2017, 04:57 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2009, 07:29 am 
Send private message  Profile

KI Number: 0
I'm back home.

Although tiring, the expedition was successful. The fruits from it will probably be vital in the weeks to come, especially in the light of what is happening at the moment in Devokan and its environs.

I'm very grateful to Holli and Crystal (Reemi in SL) for monitoring and reporting developments, and to Quin for his continuing experiments on the crystals.

I spoke to Holli earlier today, who has recruited a friend to help with observing developments. We discussed keeping a daily photographic record of the strange sphere, and maybe displaying it on an imager in my office in the keep. In the meantime, she and her friend will both keep a written record of their observations in their diary journals.

Last edited by Dot on 04 Jan 2010, 09:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Edited title so that thread covers events spanning two months

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2009, 11:21 pm 
Guild Member
Send private message  WWW  Profile

KI Number: 83543
09-12-08 2 Spheres
I’ve missed Devokan But I had little time in Devokan this trip. Starting a new offensive campaign always seems to take longer than is planned…

The little Squee is still here. I’m happy to see her. She has a friend! So, there are more of them. I’ll have to look to see if there is fruit at the Inn.

Walking north to check on the sphere I stopped to read the message board. OMG! Now there are two spheres! This can’t be good. Paislee is worried by the tone of her note.

As I continued north I came upon a deer. She was nibbling on a tree. She seemed unalarmed having me crunching through the snow. She watched me and I was careful not to startle her.

There are two spheres. Not that big. I took more pictures and will have the computer compare them. Quin’s monitoring station is still there so I’ll stay with my decision not to use any of my sensors. On my next trip I need to bring more equipment back with me.

Nalates Urriah is my SL and OSGrid name - MOULagain: Nal KI#oo o83 543 - Nalates KI#111451
Support: Devokan Trust - Myst Style Stories Across Worlds
Support: OpenUru.org - Myst/Uru Open Source Resources

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2009, 03:22 pm 

Nalates wrote:
09-12-08 2 Spheres
Starting a new offensive campaign always seems to take longer than is planned…

Sooo, stop being offensive. Whaat no :poke: or :runs:? :P

Anyway, couldn't resist.

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2009, 10:31 am 

When I linked to Devokan today, Paislee sent an urgent message to join her to see what has happened.

It seems that overnight the spheres have coalesced. There is now a single sphere, but far larger than before -- about 25 m in diameter -- and having a more complex structure. It has also developed a solid core, large enough to stand on.

The sphere itself has moved so that the gaseous envelope engulfs one of the upper walkways. It is still possible to use the walkway, but walking through the swirling lights is quite disorientating and your vision blurs as you enter the sphere.

Paislee took a photograph of the sphere. You can just see the solid core behind the base of the hut.

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2009, 11:25 pm 

I have a further development to report: the gazebo walls have changed. It seems they are some kind of imager, and are now displaying a wild-looking, remote island. I certainly don't recognise the place.

When I was discussing this with Dot, she said that it reminded her a little of some strangely fluidic imager 'bubbles' she had previously encountered which enclosed a method of linking to other ages/worlds.

Intriguing.

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2009, 06:25 pm 
Guild Member

More Sphere Data
Seems there is always massive waiting in any military effort. So, while waiting around I’ve had time to make a more complete analysis of my last set of readings on the spheres. I have also had time to compare them to reams of readings taken to detect the portals used by our enemies to send the green insect like creatures into the battlefields.

The control fields are very different from those I’ve seen in combat. So, while I may know what is going to happen I can’t be overly precise as to when… or exactly what the changes will be. From all I have seen it appears the entire forest area around the sphere will be sucked through the portal. The area is likely to be moved to another dimension, time or world. Removals are often, but not always, followed by a replacement… who knows what that might be.

Not knowing who is controlling this means I have no clue what may be coming, if anything. I’m guessing. May be some eccentric just likes the looks of the place and is stealing it. Whatever the case, the energy build up rate gives us a about a month… may be two to six weeks… then the forest will likely be gone. That is a sad thought.

If it is being stolen, I want to know by who and where it is being taken. I found that the energy flow is traceable and has a destination. I took a chance on one of my rest periods and teleported there. No doubt the forest is being moved. I have some pictures. More alarming is parts of Selenitica are being moved. I have to wonder if the crystals can be used in place of the more obvious portal spheres.

I thought of destroying the crystals in Devokan… I decided to leave Quin a note and see what he thinks after seeing the pictures.

Nalates Urriah is my SL and OSGrid name - MOULagain: Nal KI#oo o83 543 - Nalates KI#111451

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2009, 10:09 am 

I am pleased to report some success with my experimental placement of the crystals around the strange gazebo. By tuning their frequencies I have been able to acquire a closer view of the island reported by Miss Holli above.

The image shows rough hewn stone steps wending and winding up a pathway lined with boulders, towards an ancient-looking archway. Could this be some sort of ceremonial route for processions? Blazing fire torches line the path, suggesting that the island is inhabited -- unless of course there is some sort of time displacement going on.

Having checked on the crystal experiment, I went on to check my monitoring device on the neighbouring island. Passing by the sphere, I noticed a change in the central core: it looks as though it is splitting into two, rather as the nucleus of an amoeba might do in reproduction. An interesting development.

However, the results from the monitoring device are rather disturbing. As I returned to the Lighthouse, musing on what I had seen, I chanced upon the warrior woman I had met previously: Nalates Urriah. Being between campaigns, she had visited Devokan for a brief respite from her onerous duties.

We discussed the phenomena. She explained that she had set up some of her own monitoring devices on the island around the sphere -- she had come across similar entities before on a battlefield -- but was bemused at the differences shown by the Devokan sphere. I see that she has reported on her results above, and added some further detail. A remarkable, and very brave, woman.

For there is one extremely disturbing fact. Both her results and mine concur: the energy/activity of the sphere is increasing daily; extrapolating from my results suggests that the force may reach a critical point in the next two to three weeks, which is in the same time frame as Ms Urriah's independently run tests; and there seems to be some kind of force 'sucking' the reality of the tree village towards the sphere.

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2010, 11:17 am 
Guild Member

100101 – Travel (Diary - Entry)
I saw Quin. He is concerned about the spheres… seriously concerned. He asked about my measurements and was excited by the images I captured at the other end of the energy flow. I guess my technology is as strange to him as his is to me. He seemed really surprised and excited that I had traveled there. He asked if I could help him get there.

I’ll have to return home and get the gear I’ll need. The small unit I use to travel has been modified to make random inter-dimensional jumps to avoid my being followed. That would certainly create problems for me transporting Quin. The usual process of sending destination coordinates back doesn’t seem to work…

I’ve heard the tech’s at my duty station talking about new technology to allow easy transport between an entire new range of worlds. I think I’ve learned enough about it to make measurements on this trip with Quin then write directions for how to use the tech to get to the other end of the energy stream. I know the Devokans will want to know how to get to the forest village if… well… now it looks like WHEN… it gets sucked to a new dimension.

This whole sphere thing seems to have upset the peace of Devokan. The squees seem unaffected. They play and eat… the one I think is female is a little cubby… I wonder of she is pregnant? They look healthy and happy.

Well… I better get moving. Quin seemed a bit impatient. I'll write more when we get back.

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2010, 09:06 am 

The spheres have multiplied again. There are more on the windmill island, covering the sail mechanism as well as the pumps and Quin's monitoring station. There are more spheres among the trees -- and further disappearances of trees.

What sort of energy/force/plasma/whatever could remove whole trees, including their root systems, without leaving a trace?

And what is more important: where are Nalates and Quin? I haven't seen or heard from either of them since Nalates' last report.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2010, 12:44 am 

Things are happening so quickly now, it is hard to keep track of them.

I'm relieved to say that both Nalates and Quin have returned safely. Nalates posted a note on the village notice board:
Quote:
Quin and I made the trip. We were both fascinated by the lands at the far end of the energy stream. We spent longer there than I expected. Quin had lots of measurements to make. This process is different than I’ve seen. I’m used to the process gulping up things almost instantaneously. This process seems to move molecule by molecule until most of the object it moved, then pop the remainder across. It gives the impression things are in two places at once.

I learned a lot and think I can program a chip to make a transporter to take Devokians between the worlds. So, we will still be able to reach the village forest.

Quin had a message about some family thing. After profuse thanks for helping with the trip he was off. He made no mention of where he was going or when he planned to return. I’m off to my world. Combat is escalating and messages are grim. I’ll return as soon as I can.

Quin left a terse note that he was back, then swanned off to New Babbage to see his solicitors. We need him back here! :x