Guild of Maintainers Forum

It is currently 14 Dec 2017, 01:20 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Selenitica
PostPosted: 22 Oct 2009, 02:01 am 
Send private message  Profile

KI Number: 0
High in the atmosphere above Devokan, a new area has been found. Quinquifid first discovered it on a recent expedition in the Devokan Flyer. As he reported on the MOUL forum:
Quote:
The area seems to be an abandoned industrial complex, possibly for mining, powered by capped geothermal vents.

The terrain is rocky, barren, desert-like, although there is a small oasis of green to the north-west. Was this originally a rest area for the workers?

Various machines are labelled using numerals to base 25. How do these numbers relate to those on the keypad found in the south-west?

What does the Monitoring Room in the north actually monitor?

In conclusion: This intriguing area will repay closer scrutiny.

Having now visited the area myself, I can confirm Quin's report. Here's a photo I took while flying above the area to try to get my bearings. According to Quin, duststorms can blow up in a matter of minutes.

Quin has managed to use the keypad to gain access to a small underground area. It does look as though this is an old mine.

There we found a Tesla-style transporter which took us to what seems to be the main mine. Judging from my HUD coordinates, this is probably in a small rocky satellite orbiting above Selenitica. The tunnels here are quite extensive and seem fairly robust.

Using the Tesla transporter was very uncomfortable -- it shakes your innards horribly, so much so that some people have been known to scream (mentioning no names). I have therefore replaced it with a modern, more civilised GoMa elevator system.

While exploring outside the main tunnels, Quin has found some old machinery. He will be trying to get it up and running again over the coming weeks. So if things sound different each time you visit, that is why. Don't venture outside the tunnels though -- we're not sure yet what was being mined.