Guild of Maintainers Forum

It is currently 20 Nov 2017, 04:53 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2009, 12:03 pm 
Send private message  Profile

KI Number: 0
This last week, since my return home, has been taken up with essential domestic tasks, reminding Miss Dot that she owes me a favour after I suffered a week of discomfort on her behalf guarding that Myst book, and looking for a suitable vehicle to explore the upper reaches of this world.

I believe I have found one. Its method of propulsion is most inventive. To quote from the manufacturer's literature:
Quote:
The Selene was one of the first attempts to produce a commercial version of the "Cloud Drive"; an engine which acquired power from static electricity in the atmosphere and converted the cloud moisture to oxygen and hydrogen through electrolysis. The gases were then stored inside the hull, providing breathable air at high altitudes, lift from hydrogen, and propulsion through burning of the hydrogen in the engine furnaces, exhausting pure steam, producing clouds. And thus the name "Cloud Hugger" was born.

When enough fuel was stored, the ships were capable of short bursts of power, and able to reach stratosphere for brief amounts of time. Of course the nature of the propulsion system made the whole process risky at best...

I have managed to acquire a second-hand one (mostly through prevailing on Miss Dot). The outside may be a little battered and scratched, but the interior looks virtually pristine.

It seats several passengers in comfort, and even includes an automatic tea dispenser to refresh them during flight. In the cockpit slung under the main cabin there are seats for two further passengers each side of the pilot's chair.

Given the potential risk involved, I felt it vital to train others in flying this vehicle. Accordingly, over this weekend I have trained Mr Lightkeeper Jameson, Miss Dot and Miss Nynaveve in how to handle the ship, which I have renamed 'The Devokan Flyer'. I thought better of training Miss Paislee -- I have seen how she drives her Teakettle horseless carriage around the island.

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2009, 09:51 pm 

We're parking the Selene/Devokan Flyer on the cove near the Keep, so that it is out of the way of the main village and so that I can keep an eye on it from my office balcony.

Lightkeeper left a note for me:
Quote:
Dot, I took Selene for a short shakedown flight. I just circled around the island and tried to get her back to where I found her. I probably don't have her exactly where you or Quin left her last but I think it is close. Very nice handling. Bye for now :-)

We'll all need to get some practice in flying her before tackling the expedition planned for the coming weeks. I'm looking forward to this...

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2009, 03:32 am 

Quick update as to what has been happening...

I was doing an experiment near my house, and my hand slipped at a critical moment. The house suffered as a result and is now uninhabitable.

Dot was not that sympathetic, but did provide some practical assistance in propping up two of the turrets that were otherwise without support -- her stonework may be rough, but it does the job.

Miss Paislee, however, showed a truly sympathetic spirit when I met up with her later that day: 'Well..you can store your things in the lighthouse while you make repairs -- although I do fear creatures may move in while it is vacant.' I shrugged: 'That cannot be helped. It is the way of nature.'

She went on to ask where I myself would be living while the repairs were taking place. As fate would have it, all this happened on the very day the rental of my rooms in New Babbage expired!

I had thought of using the Devokan Flyer as temporary accommodation; it has all the facilities one needs for expeditions. But then we realised that would not be convenient. Lightkeeper, Jim, Dot and Nynaveve will need to take it out for flying practice before the planned exploration of the upper reaches of the atmosphere.

'Too bad you've not got a caravan to live in while you do your renovations,' said Miss Paislee. 'I have one I could lend.' That sounded like a possibility, so we went across to Devokan Wood to try to find a suitable clearing.

'Where would you like it?' she asked. 'Seriously, Miss Paislee,' I replied, 'I would appreciate your placing it... You have a good eye for that sort of thing.' Her response: 'Well let me give it some thought then... We will get you all set up!'

This is such a relief!

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2009, 05:34 pm 
Guild Member

KI Number: 18275
Alternate Avie: jek
I feel so bad for Mr. Quinuifid, to have your house so badly damaged as it is. I would be very willing to let you stay in my house as I am hardly ever there and when I am on my property I am mainly checking to make sure the currents have not taken my two sailboats off. Seriously Quinquifid, you are most welcome to stay in my house though getting to the second floor is a chore given the ladder. You would be most welcome to create your own teleport system. I leave this to your decision but know you are most welcome.

I just visted my home and had a laugh. It seems someone took my small catboat for a sail and couldn't quite get her back to the mooring. I have berthed her back on her mooring now and all is well. Not to worry whoever it was, just as long as she gets back near home.

Respectfully,

Lightkeeper Jameson

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2009, 10:08 am 

Mr Jameson, thank you so much for your kind offer, which I would like to take up.

I have installed my sofa, desk and chair in your cottage. Do move them if they are in your way.

I will try to facilitate access to the upstairs rooms this weekend.

I suspect it might have been Miss Dot that didn't moor the boat properly. She might be comfortable in flying the Selene, but when it comes to sailboats her tack ability (like her tact at times) is somewhat lacking.

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2009, 03:01 pm 

I've just heard from Paislee that Quin has got the teleport upstairs to work -- he asked her to help test it.

No teleport downstairs, though. Gravity does that well enough, it seems.

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2009, 12:07 pm 

Time rushes by so quickly these days, with all the things that need to be done.

Yet, here we are, just past the autumnal equinox, and the trees in Devokan are a glory of reds, oranges, purples.

Lightkeeper has hauled up one of his sailboats for routine maintenance -- it's great to see evidence of his working away. He's left me a couple of tips on how to dock the boats after taking them out (oops, he noticed).

I've one odd incident to relate: while taking the Devokan Flyer up for a practice flight, I noticed a large spherical structure just above the lower cloud level. This has turned up in just the last few days.

Then, on the ground between the bronze gates and the swing bridge, two purply coloured stones have appeared -- each intriguingly engraved. What to make of this, I do not know -- and at the moment I don't have time to investigate further. I'll mention it to the others and see what they think.

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2009, 08:23 am 

Oops, I've not been updating this thread as often as I should!

If you want to catch up, start from this post on the MOUL forum: http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic. ... 987#303987