Guild of Maintainers Forum

It is currently 20 Nov 2017, 04:55 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: 22 Jul 2009, 03:05 pm 
Send private message  Profile

KI Number: 0
Yes, the rental units should be able to lock the doors. There is supposedly a way to combine locks and rental boxes as well.

For guard robots, what about geese? They are traditional, after all. ;)

I was thinking more in terms of indicating by layout and grouping which areas were public and which private, but that might be something we could discuss in the meeting on Saturday.

If anyone wants to have a go at experimenting with layouts on paper, the sim is a 256m x 256m square. (0, 0) is at the SW corner of the sim. Sea level is at 20m. The bulk of the sim land mass is currently at 22m, or thereabouts.

Rough sizes of structures:
Jim's cottage, Miller's cottage, Chapel cottage are each 10m x 20m, and about 12-14m high.
Lightkeeper's cottage is 20m by about 25/30m, about 20m high.
The carriage house (village inn) is 30m x 40m, 32m high.
The lighthouse is 14m x 32.5m, and the tower is 55m high.
The ship's hull is about 16m x 64m, with the pointy bit on the front sail making it about 82m from front to back. The main deck is about 15m above sea level. The top of the main mast is about 60m above sea level.

Since the ship is the biggest structure, it makes sense to start with that and develop the layout and terrain from there.

To help start to visualise areas, I've built a very rough skeleton ship with sticks and cones in the position that makes sense for sightlines from the rest of the sim. It helps to see on the ground the size the cove will need to be. It assumes the ship will be anchored along the southwest line, so at 45 degrees to the west and south boundaries. The pointy bit of the ship's front sail is tucked into the SW corner of the sim. The landing point for the ship would be to the south.

If we have a little harbour it could go along part of the south boundary, and the cliffs are along the west boundary towards the north to protect the ships from icy blasts. There will need to be adequate waterways (depth and width) all round the sim to let sailboats through -- we'd need to check this with Lightkeeper's sailboat, which uses very clever modelling to handle like a boat in RL.

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2009, 08:44 pm 

By no means do I have the "big picture" in one place. But thought a sketch would be helpful to solicit ideas on what folks are thinking. What I read is that the tall ship is to anchor in the SW corner of the sim. Also that hills/cliffs are involved in some fashion which will reveal a hint of the mast tops from the other side. I thought perhaps a trail from one side to the other. Also open areas along the shoreline and in various spots here and there to tuck houses, things to see, and peaceful spots.

Perhaps also an inland waterway to provide berths for other ships. Perhaps also an adjacent smaller island? A caldera maybe... a cleft?

Anyway here are a few 3D mock ups, not to scale or texture, or anything else. Just something to talk about.

Top view:

And various elevations and view points:

I propose the tall ship would anchor in the hook cove shown.

Anyway this is to hilly and more flat areas are needed. Again just a vehicle to try to visualize ideas.

Tae

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2009, 02:07 am 

Thanks, Taelos. This is helpful.

It is important to keep scale in mind, though. Is it possible to add scaled cuboids to represent the various structures?

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2009, 08:10 am 
Guild Member
Send private message  WWW  Profile

KI Number: 83543
Having hills and water ways to sail through is going to be complex. May be being arranged to allow sailing into Channelwood would preserve the sailing experience and allow reduction of the channels in the main land area of Devokan.

Nalates Urriah is my SL and OSGrid name - MOULagain: Nal KI#oo o83 543 - Nalates KI#111451
Support: Devokan Trust - Myst Style Stories Across Worlds
Support: OpenUru.org - Myst/Uru Open Source Resources

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2009, 09:45 am 

'Inspired by Channelwood' in Discover Devokan is one of the themed builds planned for that sim, so it won't be there permanently. This is one of the key features of the Devokan Estate, that we regularly get a chance to terraform and build as a team in Discover Devokan.

It might be that aspects of the Channelwood-based build could be preserved at some level in Devokan. Paislee and I are talking about that as something for the future.

Whatever happens, it is likely that Discover Devokan will include some water somewhere -- and we're doing our darndest to make sure there are sailing spots in Devokan.

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2009, 11:11 am 

Hi Dot,

Scale is indeed important and that is what my post is all about. The ship dimensions you measured are indeed typical of "tall ship" frigates of the day. These grand ships were the pride of many countries navy.

My point is that terraforming to reduce the visual impact of so high an object will extend beyond the boundaries of the parcel where the ship is placed. And so must be coordinated with the terrain of the entire sim.

So my suggestion is figure out what the new terrain "look and feel" must be to accommodate the various community needs. A mock up with out structure is one place to start.

Adding volume representations of each object is more effort than I have time at the moment. Using paper "cutouts" may be more viable.

Tae

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2009, 01:00 pm 

Yes, that in fact is one of the aims of the renovation: to make sure the whole sim is integrated in appearance. The function of this thread and the meeting on Saturday is to discuss and agree ideas as a team.

One of the ways that helps maintain consistent terraforming across parcel boundaries is to set all parcels to the Devokan Estate group. Paislee and I will be making sure that this happens. Hopefully, you and Artemesia have received invitations to join the group -- apologies for the delay in this (we each thought the other had done it!).

I was assuming that it would probably be the case that the parcel for the ship is too small for complete terraforming to show it to its best advantage. However, be assured that the region around it will be shaped so that it blends in with your parcel and with the rest of the sim.

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2009, 01:15 pm 

What time is the meeting on saturday?

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2009, 02:57 pm 

Hi Tae!

The Devokan Renovation Meeting is at 1:00 EST at the Village Square. See you there!

Paislee

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2009, 07:48 am 

There's a handy tool for the Mac called Backhoe that allows you to make and preview RAW terrain files (the files that SL uses to shape the land).

Now, I am a complete novice here, so please don't see this as anything except for discussion. But here's roughly how I would visualise Devokan.

From the west:
The main village would be in the lower part of the hollow sheltered by the mountains (which need to be more irregular in height).

Behind the village is a forest with further dwellings.

On the island in the east would be more private houses, with the drawbridge linking them to the main village.

The pirate ship would be anchored in the bay in the south west -- the land here would need adjusting so that there is a beach to land booty on, and a landing platform.

The lighthouse could go somewhere in the west -- possibly on the land jutting out near the ship (the land would need flattening if so).

Views from other directions:
Spoiler:
From the north east:

From the north:

From the north west:

From the south west:

From the south:

From the south east:

From the east:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next