Guild of Maintainers Forum

It is currently 22 Nov 2017, 12:25 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: 20 Jul 2009, 08:21 am 
Retired Guild Leader
Send private message  WWW  YIM  Profile

KI Number: 57511
Alternate Avie: Nynaveve Wirefly
That is fine by me Dot! :)

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2009, 11:26 am 
Guild Member
Send private message  Profile

KI Number: 18275
Alternate Avie: jek
Hi,

I have set the land for sale back to Quinquifid so that the group ownership thing can be done. I think that is what you needed. Don't worry about that particular house. I was going to purchase my own copy of it so I had full control of the windows and all in it. I found out that the house comes with many controls built in available to the owner. I may wait and see if Max finishes the house in progress at LangNMoor (sp?). It is pretty interesting.

The Channelwood project looks great, lots of wonderful work done there. Nice work by all.

Light

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2009, 02:03 pm 

KI Number: 0
Thanks, Light. I saw that unfinished house too -- looks rather grand!

Paislee suggested that we meet up in Devokan to discuss the various ideas this Saturday. What about meeting at 1pm Eastern, in the village square? Would that be possible?

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2009, 02:11 pm 
Guild Member

KI Number: 18275
Alternate Avie: jek
I wasn't thinking so much grand as just interesting like Quinquifid's house with different rooms and spaces. I won't be able to make Sat because we have an annual party to go to hosted by one of the nurses my wife works with and is best friends with. Don't worry about my absence. Whatever the other residents choose I am sure will be great.

Light

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2009, 01:25 am 
Guild Member

Yet another idea for the terraforming -
Spoiler:
Another idea is to say that Devokan once was a volcano, a bit like the formation of Serengeti - that is an outer ridge of methamorphosed rock which could be smoothed by time but quite high and partly broken and thereby lower at one or two sides; inside the broken 'ring' rock structure there are now soil and a rich plant life. This idea fits togeter with the rescent earth quakes and the rise of new islands - where channelwood is now - as if this whole area actually are a fault zone.

Textures for free use for the ground terrain in Devokan - most of them mine, the others are free textures from CGTextures - all 512x512 in .tga formate.

Textures

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2009, 01:55 am 

Thanks, Ametist, for the texture links!

Paislee wrote:
One of the things that is difficult about such a renovation is the real upheaval this will cause temporarily in the places in which we enjoy relaxing. I wanted to share this uncomfortable fact with you so we all know that for a while...things will not look so good. :cry: If we can endure this time, I believe Devokan will emerge on the other side a more vibrant and interesting place. One that we have created together!

Here's an idea to give us somewhere to live while the renovations are taking place on ground level:

Build some homes in the sky village, together with basic amenities such as a central meeting area and nexus, plus bridges between so we can still go visiting each other.

I could nag Quinquifid into setting up some sky islands for us. ;)

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2009, 06:16 pm 

Here are some pictures of Cove, Scotland. A cove area does not have to be huge. Will we need more than one area to dock ships? Perhaps the cove can have a inlet that meanders inland some distance to afford docking space for the smaller ships.

Closer in:

Cottages:

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2009, 10:32 pm 

Welcome to the forum, Taelos!

Good photos -- thanks. What sort of cliffs are they, would you say, ametist?

I like the idea of two docking areas for ships, and the mix of cliff and harbour wall built of the same stone shaping the areas. The cottages near the harbour -- Lightkeeper, could you see your cottage in that sort of setting, do you think? It would give you excellent access to your sailboat if it anchors in the small built harbour.

By the way, another good source of photos and terrain is Google Earth. Zooming in on the coastlines of Devon and Cornwall in the UK (the far southwest bit of Britain that sticks out into the Atlantic) might be fruitful. Besides being another Celtic stronghold, this is also traditional pirate country -- 'Pirates of Penzance', anyone? Then there are the Cornish tin mines -- we could link this with some steampunk aspects.

We'll need to think about prevailing winds so that ships have safe anchor. I guess the pirate ship will also need some private routes for nefarious activities like smuggling -- would that be right, Taelos?

Thinking of privacy, the Channelwood build seems to have put us on the map! So we might need to think more carefully how to plan and indicate public and private areas so that people can maintain their space while still welcoming visitors.

One thing I find helpful in beginning to visualise layouts is to note down the width and length of the different structures that need to be placed in the area. I then cut out paper rectangles to scale, and move them around on a scale drawing of the island. I did something like this early on when planning areas on Tyr in There, for example, and it was very helpful in building the regions.

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2009, 09:35 am 
Guild Member
Send private message  WWW  Profile

KI Number: 83543
Privacy... Welcome...
SL has their "no entry" barriers. Which is probably not going to work all that well for your purposes. But, it is the only way to keep people out, for sure.

There is another trick I've seen used. An invisible prim (or mega prim) is rez'd when one wants the area secured. Everything that needs to be secure is placed inside it. Call it shell security. It can be de-rez'd or changed to phantom to allow access. This can be scripted to allow control by an individual or group. Protecting a house or rooms is pretty easy.

Because there is the ability to cam out and select sit, it is very herd to secure a place. Only "no entry' and shells seem to work and they have weaknesses.

There are also the security scripts. AFAIK, most of those can only send an intruder home, which seems a bit harsh for your needs.

A really simple idea is no trespassing signs. These actually work better than one might think. In one combat RPG reconnaissance of an enemy base prior to an attack is important. I have been surprised how many players have an aversion to entering an area they think they should not be in. While not perfect they may achieve a level of privacy you might find acceptable.

I have also seen guard robots. Mostly these are Sci-Fi things that float in the air and warn one off. Some have spectacular fire works and weapons, but I usually send people to see those so I think those with great fireworks are counter productive. I've seen some used in an RPG that have artificial intelligence and can answer basic questions and call for help. (Oh! Swear words! I'm calling mommy. She will be mad at you. or If you don't leave this area, I will report you and you will be banned from the sim).

I have seen trick doors that one clicks to open and they transport one down the street. They are opened and closed by voice command. Those that know about them and who have there name or group on the access can click and open or voice control them. Cute, but mostly annoying.

The combat sims tend to be full of traps, which does not really fit the Devokan style. It certainly makes one cautions as they explore.

Privacy is a difficult thing to achieve in SL. I suppose that is why sky boxes are popular.

Nalates Urriah is my SL and OSGrid name - MOULagain: Nal KI#oo o83 543 - Nalates KI#111451
Support: Devokan Trust - Myst Style Stories Across Worlds
Support: OpenUru.org - Myst/Uru Open Source Resources

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2009, 11:07 am 
Retired Guild Leader
Send private message  WWW  YIM  Profile

KI Number: 57511
Alternate Avie: Nynaveve Wirefly
I don't know if we need to "secure" entire areas like that. I expect simply locking the door on your house if you don't want people inside will do just as well. Personally, my space is open to the public. Come in, sit down, eat my food, enjoy the fire, and play the piano! :) I'm not sure if the rental units have the ability to control the locks on their doors though. We will have to see what becomes of the new terraforming first, I think.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next