Guild of Maintainers Forum

It is currently 15 Dec 2017, 04:54 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2009, 08:25 am 
Send private message  Profile

KI Number: 0
Shorah b'shemtee!

As you may have heard, for the past week or so I have been exploring the land I linked to through a book found beneath the sea on the north west of Devokan.

It seems people were somewhat concerned about my disappearance. I don't know why they should be. That is one of the things I do -- explore, study, attempt to understand.

Anyway, now I am back home there are the usual domestic duties to attend to, and I was glad to get a good night's sleep for once. (The bed in the hut I was using as temporary accommodation during the past week proved to be somewhat uncomfortable.)

This morning, when I awoke, I looked across from the airship's balcony towards the GoMa HQ, and was alarmed to see what had happened overnight. I quickly got out the submersible and flew over to check more closely.
Spoiler:

I'd run out of milk the previous night, so thought to combine a trip to Dot's cottage to ask if she knew anything and, by the way, did she have any milk to spare?...
Spoiler:

She wasn't there. Her laptop showed she was away. More disturbingly, the linking book I had given her was no longer in place.

I searched, and eventually found ...
Spoiler:
... the linking book and Dot's Book of Uru Memories had been thrown on the fire.

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2009, 08:52 am 
Retired Guild Leader
Send private message  WWW  YIM  Profile

KI Number: 57511
Alternate Avie: Nynaveve Wirefly
:o Holy Crow! Sadly, I think the GoMa building was on its last legs at this point, but I'm sad to see it finally collapsed into complete rubble. Was there another earthquake over night?

I have some milk if you need it, feel free to stop over anytime and help yourself. ;)

And it seems we have a poltergeist in our midst. Or maybe something worse. Keep an eye out! Could Dot's books be salvaged or was it too late?

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2009, 05:38 pm 
Guild Member

KI Number: 18275
Alternate Avie: jek
Hi Lightkeeper here,

I am getting nervous as I often find the door to my house open when I return in-world. I have no clue who is entering my house when I am away. I am looking into greater security measures. It is somewhat tough as I rent the house and don'r own it outright. Perhaps I need to look into that. I don't know.

Light

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2009, 02:54 am 

I met up with Lightkeeper yesterday. He took me for a sail in his new yacht -- a pleasant, relaxed interlude from all the current awfulnesses.

We sailed all round the islands, enjoying the scenery, putting the world to rights, wondering what Nyn and Wendall and Paislee were dreaming up in the building area, ...

At the north-west of Devokan, we had to turn back. Part of the GoMa building had collapsed into the waterway that divides the village from the other main landmass, blocking our route.

So we headed back to land at Lightkeeper's Cottage, meeting up with a very excited Wendall -- he had got part of his windmill to work!

Overnight, I was thinking some more about the GoMa building. Should we rebuild it? Is there a need for it? I really don't know. One thing I did do: First thing this morning I set to work removing the concrete blocks and chunks of metal from the waterway to clear a passage through.

Like Lightkeeper, I too have an uneasy feeling. Why was the linking book thrown in the fire? Is it something to do with Erik's report here? And why would someone try to destroy a happy memento of Uru?

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2009, 07:46 am 

Shorah b'shemtee! It seems to have fallen to me to provide an update on what is happening in Devokan.

Fortunately, no new incidents of book burning have occurred.

Dot was most upset by those and other events. She spent much of the week clearing away the rubble from the collapsed GoMa building. Some of her friends from the other worlds/ages she visits persuaded her to take a few days' leave, which she wisely agreed to.

It was good timing, for over the weekend, a tall ship sailed in to dock at Devokan; the crater caused by the building's collapse made a natural harbour. The ship's owners, Artemesia and Taelos, claim to be pirates, but they seem friendly enough.

In the meantime, I have set in place a new sky island for her (those floating rocks from Spire are extremely useful). Hopefully that will prove more secure than the cottage she was using before

I have been busy arranging my own pied a terre at the Mechanix Arms, in Port Babbage, at the heart of the great city of New Babbage. The landlady, a Miss Bergamasco, is an intriguing character. When I first met her to agree terms, she was dressed somewhat eccentrically for the hunt.

The rooms, sadly, are typical of rented accommodation -- peeling, faded wallpaper, cracks in the walls, rotten floorboards -- several times on linking in I have fallen through the floor to the shop below.

I have taken to early morning perambulations around the port and its environs. On one occasion, down a narrow lane, I chanced upon the smoking remains of what I later learned were fighting robots.

On my return to my rooms, I heard: 'Hallo, Mr Oddenfen!' It was my landlady, looking most demure in a long blue silk gown, hailing me from her shop. 'Good day, Miss Bergamasco!'

'Have you heard the news?' No, I replied. 'The war is over!' Hmm. I hadn't even realised there was a war -- but I put two and two together and mentioned the robots I had seen. 'Ah, yes,' she said. 'The supercriminal Dr Oblensky who had taken over the city has been defeated, and the rightful Mayor is back in his place.'

Intriguing, I thought. I will have to find out more. It certainly made sense of some of the posters I had seen around the city.

I have set up a teleport link to my rooms in New Babbage from the Devokan nexus, should any explorers like to see what else they can find out.

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2009, 05:06 pm 
Guild Member

KI Number: 18275
Alternate Avie: jek
/me so bad :cry: . I was invited by Mr. Quinquifid to his Port Babbage rooms to visit and see the different world there. I must say what a wonderful place! As a nautical man I was very excited to see all the ships of various sizes and purposes. I then did a walkabout of the town and was so intrigued by the ingenuity I discoverd so concentrated in one area. I swear, oops can't do that here, I declare that this is a collection of some very smart people. Oh the wonderful contraptions I did spy or see as it were. Well that is my short and very incomplete report (Oh and yes very tardy).

LK

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2009, 11:30 pm 

Well, July has been a busy month -- so busy, in fact, that we've not been keeping up with our reports here.

The renovations in Devokan at ground level are just about complete now.

Jim, Lightkeeper and Nynaveve are slowly getting their cottages sorted out in the new island to the east, accessed from the main island by a handy drawbridge. Two further cottages have been built in the wood on the main island, ready for people to move into should they wish to join us (send an IM to Paislee, Dot or Quinquifid). We're also looking for a lighthouse keeper -- Quinquifid will just have to store his stuff somewhere else!

Lightkeeper is surveying the waterways, making a note of where further dredging work is needed to make them fully navigable.

Quinquifid, in the occasional return visit to the village, was able to rescue his cottage from the floods and has set it on the rocky hillside to the west of the main part of the village. I think it is sufficiently distant from the cliff edge...

Between them Paislee and Wendall have worked on the village mill, setting up a feeder pond and aquaduct to power the waterwheel. All is ready now for Yabot, who will be residing above the mill.

The village centre has been remodelled -- still with plenty of places to sit and chat with friends, all with pleasant viewpoints and ambient sounds.

Paislee is taking rooms above the inn. She has ordered some new pub fittings, but these have been delayed. It seems the manufacturer is having problems with the pump mechanisms.

The chapel and crypt are in place on the hillside to the west the inn, and the village fish house just beyond them.

In the event, it proved difficult to develop a cove that would provide adequate shelter to the pirates' ship, so they have sailed on, seeking landfall where they may.

Instead, a small keep has been erected on a rocky outcrop out to sea which proved to be about the same size as the sky island Quinquifid had set up. (To be honest, it feels a little safer to have such heavy buildings on ground level.) I'll be taking the keep for my own quarters. The estate office will be located there, too.

Close by, on the seabed, Wendall has made a chillout spot that reminds me of the stained-glass rooms at the base of the cliff in Myst III.

While all this was happening, a steady stream of explorers were visiting and enjoying 'Inspired by Channelwood' to the north. It was great to be able to welcome them.

So, all in all, a busy but productive month. What will August bring?