Guild of Maintainers Forum

It is currently 17 Oct 2018, 07:08 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2009, 09:51 am 
Guild Member
Send private message  WWW  Profile

KI Number: 83543
I started a new thread because the other thread feels more IC than this subject does.

In the thread Two Ways I brought up Devokan. In the thread 'Two Myst-Uru Ways' I started out looking at Mayan Myst and Eder D'Uru. Mayan needs help. So, does Eder... their tier rate changed. I'm not sure why that is. Thor has advised that he will need to cut back his financial support and must get rentals/sales up or close/sell the Mayan sim. The thread is on MOUL so we got the obligatory snide/rude comments about SL. This time the pro mixed-virtual-worlds fans got on their cases and we out number them. So, if you would participate in that thread for those 'economics' ideas it would help.

Here I would like to see some of Dots (and partners) ideas and later how those are implemented and follow up with how we see them working. I want to spend some more time there as this is getting interesting and looks fun.

For me a very interesting aspect is the story being written on the web. I asked in another thread here if there is a journal or something in Devokan that can be found and read. Whether there is or not, it is possible to have web pages appear in SL builds. Depending on how one has their viewer set, the page appears within the viewer or a separate window. Either way one is seeing the web page and can interact with it. It is common to use a laptop in-game to serve as the link, but it could just as easily be a book.

Depending on your planned storyline the forum may work better than in-game journals for a dynamic story. It could allow more people to easily participate. Also the Lightkeeper's journal in-game might be the storyline control.

Nalates Urriah is my SL and OSGrid name - MOULagain: Nal KI#oo o83 543 - Nalates KI#111451
Support: Devokan Trust - Myst Style Stories Across Worlds
Support: OpenUru.org - Myst/Uru Open Source Resources

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2009, 11:14 am 

Quote:
their tier rate changed. I'm not sure why that is.

This 'appears' to be pretty important stuff to know for would be builders in SL.

Copied from = Openspace Pricing and Policy Changes

Posted by Jack Linden on Oct 28, 2008 1:05:33 AM

"For those that don’t know, an Openspace is a type of private island that we made available for light use countryside or ocean. We figured that if Governor Linden can have ocean and green spaces, we should let private estate owners do the same. But Openspaces differ from normal regions in one particularly significant way; unlike normal regions that effectively get a CPU to themselves on the server, there can be up to four Openspaces on a single CPU (so 16 on a quad core machine), sharing the resource (hence them being ‘light use’).

So Openspaces have been incredibly popular as a perk for estate owners, but sadly there is a twist. Unfortunately most of the Openspaces are being used for much more than light use. Based on analysis performed in August and September, Openspaces are being used about twice as much as we expected, in other words being loaded with double the content/avatar load than we’d expect for a region that is supposed to be light use."

[b'ing & i'ing by fi].

Looks like it is going to cost big buck$ for Myst/URU style stuff with lots of Explorers. Bummer Man!!!!! :(

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2009, 11:46 am 
Send private message  Profile

KI Number: 0
Since that announcement in October last year, there have been several developments.

There are three types of private regions (islands or sims), all based on a virtual land area of 256m x 256m.
  • The first is the Full Region, which allows 15,000 prims and up to 100 avatars at a time. This sim type has a server all to itself.
  • The second (a subsequent development of the Openspace mentioned by semplerfi) is a Homestead Region, designed for quiet residential or light commercial use. This allows 3750 prims and up to 20 avatars at a time. These share servers.
  • The third is the current (true) Openspace Region, which is for ocean and landscape only. This allows 750 prims and up to 10 avatars at a time. These also share servers.

The monthly cost of new Homestead Regions is going up in July by US$30 per month (a 31.6% price hike). However, the monthly cost of existing Homesteads will stay at the current amount for a further year (no price increase until July 2010). The monthly costs for Full and Openspace Regions will remain the same.

New Homestead and Openspace Regions are available only to those who already have a Full Region. Of course, it is possible to rent Homesteads from existing estates (defined as those owning at least one Full Region), but that is likely to cost more per month since the estate needs to cover its own costs. There may also be restrictions on what can be done on the region (e.g. limits to terraforming) which will be set out in an estate covenant.

Details from the SL Knowledge Base are here: Private Region Types

Eder Gira, Eder d'Uru and Devokan are all full regions.

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2009, 01:43 pm 
Guild Member

Eder D'Uru was a full region but billed at the non-profit rates. Jeff got hooked up with a charity that was leasing sims and and subletting them. That resulted in about a 30% savings as I recall. Why that has changed, I'm not sure. Eventually I'll find out.

Nalates Urriah is my SL and OSGrid name - MOULagain: Nal KI#oo o83 543 - Nalates KI#111451

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2009, 02:11 pm 

It might be that it was seen as a commercial venture with the rentals and retail outlets. That might have hit against the strict non-profit criterion for reduced monthly fees. (All this is speculation.)

https://secure-web4.secondlife.com/land ... ricing.php:
Quote:
**If Linden Lab determines at any time, at its sole discretion, that a region is not being used for educational or non-profit purposes, either in part or in whole, Linden Lab reserves the right to cancel all related billing agreements and accounts, and/or bill retroactively for past usage at standard rates. Please contact billing through the Support Portal with any questions regarding this policy BEFORE submitting an region order.

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2009, 03:30 pm 

Thanks for the SL Knowledge Base linky. 8-)

Wow! I see it is a bit $pendy to go it alone above board.

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2009, 12:25 am 

Nalates wrote:
For me a very interesting aspect is the story being written on the web. I asked in another thread here if there is a journal or something in Devokan that can be found and read. Whether there is or not, it is possible to have web pages appear in SL builds. Depending on how one has their viewer set, the page appears within the viewer or a separate window. Either way one is seeing the web page and can interact with it. It is common to use a laptop in-game to serve as the link, but it could just as easily be a book.

Depending on your planned storyline the forum may work better than in-game journals for a dynamic story. It could allow more people to easily participate. Also the Lightkeeper's journal in-game might be the storyline control.

Focusing solely on story, there are two main strands:
  • Modern-day GoMa, with reports on current inspections in Uru:CC (this is providing the Age Writers give their permission), plus the trials and tribulations of trying to set up an HQ in another world. This story will be told via website -- the laptop is ready, but with having to move from the now-unsafe GoMa building it's packed safely away. Service will be restored when I move into one of the safer cottages this weekend.
  • The background to Devokan -- clues in the environment (beginning to be placed), in-game journals (yet to be developed), ...

Both stories are experimental, fluid and liable to change -- just like the land itself. The GoMa story is in the tradition of U-R-U (blend of IC and OOC, to individual taste); the Devokan story will involve role play.

Participation in either or both is purely voluntary. But it's great when ideas are sparked off each other.

PS Don't confuse Lightkeeper the (real) Maintainer with Quinquifid the (storyline) Keeper -- they are two different people.

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2009, 10:21 am 
Guild Member

Thanks Dot.

I remember when I first started playing UL that the u-r-u and odd mix of IC and OOC coming from a planned ARG that never continued on that path got really confusing. Having never played an MMO or having dealt with IC/OOC at that point I was way lost. I think players coming from SL to their first Myst-Uru Style region will be confused too.

The new generation of players in Myst-Uru Style builds will probably be more game knowledgeable than I was. Even with experience in Myst-Uru since ’03 I can get confused and I see many confusing the in-game IC guilds with the out-of-game OOC fan made guilds. Also, this mix of IC/OOC is not a typical role play format and I suspect it will confuse other players and probably especially other MMORPG players.

In-game journals with game explanations and the journal’s owner writing about others can probably reduce the confusion. Many RPG’s have a greeter note card that explains the basic game play. In ‘Land of NoR’ (LoN), a dark combat rpg, one is in combat zone and a target once they enter the game. The only safe areas are malls in sky boxes above 350m, a handy thing to know when starting out. All ‘chat’ is IC or written as ((OOC text written in chat)) and all IM is OOC. The in-game character is separate from the person at the keyboard. All typical things for most RPG’s. Gorean games (still don’t really understand that one – based on John Norman's Gor) advise that one must conform to dress codes and fit into the correct ‘class’ (free man/woman, warrior, slave etc.) and is subject to arrest by civil authorities or capture by slavers and those not willing to play must wear OOC Observer tags and not disturb RP or be ejected and banned.

These are the things most RP’ers are looking for when they enter a new RPG area. I have now met a couple of people in D’Uru that were totally lost and wondering how to play. When I asked Dagda about new people playing his response was, ‘You mean other than just hang out?’ (blink blink). I guess our mind set is different than most other gamers. Learning how to handle these issues in SL will gives us lessons for what can work in a MOOS and make the play in SL Myst-Uru Style builds easier for new players.

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2009, 08:41 am 

Thank you, Nalates, as ever for your thoughtful and thought-provoking posts.

This has brought home that my understanding of 'role play' is ONLY in the context of Uru. So the GoMa story is an OOC+IC blend, and the story behind Devokan will probably be IC+OOC, putting the major component first each time.

To be honest, given my own background, I don't think I could do a pure role-play area, and I don't think the others involved would want to either. It would stop being enjoyable, and what would be the point then?

Are you meaning that there needs to be an OOC notecard explaining the basic storyline and expectations close by the main link-in point (which will be near the village square)? If so, I'd appreciate help in devising one.

Perhaps it is something we could discuss in a separate thread, and draw on everyone's understandings and experiences. We could keep this broad-brush thread as a sticky.

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2009, 06:51 pm 
Guild Member

New World Notes has a related article on in-game groups and out of game web sites and forums.

OpenSimulator Gets Web-to-World Integrated Social Network
Quote:
[...] but as described by lead developer Adam Frisby (Adam Zaius in SL), it takes over a lot of the functionality that in-world groups use: "[I]f you have a group 'inworld'," explains Adam, "the exact same data should be used on the website. Join a group on the website - it should show up in world." Anyone in a large Second Life group, notorious for their frequent chat failures and other communication lapses, will probably recognizes how powerful this functionality can be. Imagine getting in-world group notices on the web, without having to log into the world and arduously drag the info from your archive.

We don't have anything like this in SL. But OS is moving a head. Consider: MeerKat Viewer Review where I am moving my SL constructs to OS.