Guild of Maintainers Forum

It is currently 10 Dec 2018, 07:38 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2009, 08:20 pm 
Guild Member
Send private message  Profile

Was all over Second Life today. Finally got some Linden to buy my own stuff. Went back to Devokan and used the portal system and there is a new link on it. Sky Villages. Like mini reltos up there. Very neat idea. High in the clouds only way up is by transport or teleport.

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2009, 12:37 am 

KI Number: 0
Shorah b'shemtee!

When I set up the linking book pedestal for Dot, I noticed a small white imaging unit on her desk. I asked her about it, and she showed me how it works. Clever.

I remembered seeing similar equipment (though not so stark looking) on one of my regular trips to New Babbage for supplies.

Very useful. Giving me some ideas.

I was pleased to welcome Wendall Kristin to Devokan yesterday. He has set up home on one of the sky islands. It seems he uses an alias here: Alexstrana. Strange. Does he have something to hide?

He took Paislee and myself for a trip in his new flying vehicle. It concerns me how fast the vehicle goes. With the area currently so unstable, it might not be wise.

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2009, 06:59 am 
Guild Member

KI Number: 18275
Alternate Avie: jek
Shorah,

I must report sadly that the GoMa building continues to disintegrate. Portions of the building have crashed to the ground and it is a terribel sight.

I also had a fright yesterday as the village area of Devokan sank in the sea! I visited about 8PM my time or 1AM UK time and was not able to link in to my house as I should of but rather was linked to some strange island. I finally used an old TP for Discover Devokan and got to the north end of the island where the caves are. When I flew up higher and looked south, shock! Everything was missing and I only saw blue water. I don't know the reason for this but let me report now I just returned from inspecting this morning and the village is back. I think maybe I will need to ask the terraformers to be a little more careful. I don't know that that had anything to do with it but oh what a fright I experienced. I will include a photo of what I saw.

View of the missing village
Spoiler:

I just noticed in the photo while preparing it that it was my cousin Noj Wobbit that is taking the photo, he really has asome hair issues.

This completes my report.

LK

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2009, 11:52 am 

Thanks, Lightkeeper. Could this tie in with Wendall's report here?

What on earth is going on?

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2009, 09:43 pm 

Things have been moving so fast that a summary of recent events might be in order.

One very serious incident took place over the weekend. To quote from Wendall's journal:
Quote:
21 June 2009
The day hasn't even really begun and I'm already writing. Disaster! These tremors. They are strong this time. Literally pushing out struts of lands onto buildings. They have pushed up land to the entrance to my area. Blocking me off. It's weird. I don't understand it. However it's not the most troubling of circumstances. The fireflies. That I disturbed down below. They have a shocking resemblance to the ones of Eder Kemo, however one difference. They are underwater. Eder Kemo's hated water. These seem to live in it. However right before the tremors started they came out of the water and flew away. I don't know where they went to. However I found it ironic that they moved right before the tremor, as if they knew. Or they felt it before I did. I must find them. Perhaps it will shed some light on the situation.

A little later that day, Ametist Inkpen and Quinquifid Oddenfen joined in the search. Both are scientists in their own way -- one only has to think of the Uru Educational Ages Ametist is creating with Metabasalt, for example. However, disaster struck. To quote Wendall again:
Quote:
So we split up in search of the fireflies. Allowing Quin and Ametist to take the submersible and I to swim. I took the southside of the island near the village and found nothing. Made my way north where I met up with Ametist and Quin making their rounds. When I got to the Northeast corner and looked West I saw sharp edges of land shooting out from the ground. I quickly yelled for Quin and Ametist to come see. They saw them and flew off quicker than lightning. I flew over to them and dove under the water. And there on the west side of these sharp land spikes were some fireflies. We had found them. Right by the Cave of Books. Finally we could get some answers, I thought. So I was standing by the fireflies in the water and Quin accidently bumped me with the submersible. And I fell. Into a crevice deep beneath the water where there were even more fireflies. I could not stay down there long for the water pressure was too great. I swam back to the surface as Quin and Ametist went down the hole in the sub. Quin exclaimed that he saw a book and quickly brought the submersible back up to dry land.

We talked about it and Quin said he will put on his diving equipment. He did and went diving into the crevice. He dug and he dug I could only see a cloud of dust in the water from my point of view. But when the cloud settled. All that remained was the book Quin had said he seen. Quin disappeared. He's gone. We searched the whole island. Then in our time of need Dot showed up. And she pointed out more places for us to look for him. His blimp in the sky......nothing. He wasn't anywhere.

Ametist questioned if the book was a linking book. It was a possibility. However I thought it best not to see. We don't know where it goes. We don't know what it does. I didn't feel it safe to willingly just see what happens. That isn't how things are handled. Dot agreed. Ametist saw the logic behind my reasoning. I said that I would lock the book away. I will create a lockhouse that only few could enter with a password. We will discuss what to do with the book when Paislee returns. Hopefully we will see some sign from Quin then.

No one has seen Quin for the past few days. Wendall has made the lockhouse as he promised.

We're hoping the wider community might help in this search for Quin. Lightkeeper has already expressed his determination:
Quote:
I went out and did a dive in the area and have to admit I could find nothing, not even his dive gear. That does not deter my determination from touching the linking panel and following his journey. I beseech the remaining two of the Trio [Dot and Paislee] to allow me to follow after Mr. Oddenfen wherever that may be. I quite grew to like the fellow in the short time I knew him and wish to help him in anyway I might. Mr. Kristen should know I am looking into hiring a super lock breaker to break into his locked room housing the linking book. I am determined!

Now, after much thought, I've come to the conclusion that Lightkeeper's offer is one we need to take up. I'm hoping that we could meet up to discuss the implications and properly plan for possible consequences.

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2009, 05:45 pm 
Guild Member

KI Number: 18275
Alternate Avie: jek
I am still willing Dot though I doubt that Wendall will agree to let me near the linking book to embark on a search for dear Mr. Quinquifid Oddenfen, I do hope he has a good food supply. He is such a slight built man I fear for his ability to sustain his strength.

LK

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2009, 12:27 pm 

Lightkeeper, I am very, very grateful to you for linking through that unknown book, as Wendall details in his journal quoted below. The information you brought back is helpful. We know now that Quin definitely reached as far as that land, though the fact he no longer has his toolbelt IS a concern -- I've never seen him without it, other than on formal occasions.
Wendall wrote:
It was time we got things rolling. If Quin was hurt or starving or something he wouldn't have much time left. I knew Light was capable of withstanding the elements. Surviving the unknown. So I decided to let him go through, after much thought and conversing with others. I brought him to the lockhouse, opened it, and watched him vanish. Before he left I commended him on his bravery and told him that I wish he did not linger too long, for I feared for his safety. He was gone for sometime but gave me disheartening news upon his return. All he found on the other side was a land and Quin's utility belt. He searched crude structures, and no Quin. He reported that the weather varied during the day and that the temperature was moderate, and the air crisp and fresh. But no Quin. Still stuck in the same spot. Quin is still missing.

I know that Wendall is suggesting that the search could be taken up by others. However, I'm minded to suggest strongly that only maintainers should go looking for him at the moment. It is, after all, what we are meant to be doing -- linking into areas first, checking things out, keeping the safety of explorers always in mind. But since Wendall is keeping the linking book under his supervision, it will ultimately be up to him.

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2009, 03:53 am 

It was quite upsetting to peer through the window of Quin's cottage yesterday evening and see the belt hanging over the back of his chair. That place feels so cheerless and depressing without his presence there.

The scene at Oddenfen Cottage

Anyway, we're planning to mount a search party with friends from The Meeting Place. Rather than having their usual Sunday meet at Uru Island in There, they will be coming across to Devokan Village Square to join with us at 8 pm UK time on Sunday 28 June 2009. If anyone would like to join us, use this TP link to the square.

We will probably spend a little time organising things there -- for one thing, I will need to make sure everyone has access to the Uru Guild of Maintainers group intercom so we can all keep in touch no matter what. To join the guild in SL, touch the wall plaque on Black Swan Cottage in Devokan (TP link) or in the mall in Eder D'Uru and follow the instructions that appear.

In the meantime, it might just be possible to gain access to the linking book through working out the lockhouse door code...

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2009, 07:53 am 

Sorry for the lack of updates -- the last few days have been particularly hectic, what with one thing or another.

The TMP search party was successful in solving first the lockhouse door code (Conductor did us proud), and then in finding Quinquifid.

Photos of the search party in action are here: http://gallery.me.com/dotmacchi#100021

Anyway, Quin's return brings June's events to a close.

By the way, the Lockhouse Code Quest will remain in place for the next couple of weeks. It's a pleasant way to explore some of Devokan's areas. Please feel free to visit us in Devokan and take up the challenge. Here's the first clue: viewtopic.php?f=133&t=1438

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2009, 12:37 pm 

And finally: a photo album showing the different areas in Discover Devokan at the end of June, taken as I took a walk in the evening sunlight.

Enjoy!