Guild of Maintainers Forum

It is currently 10 Dec 2018, 07:39 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2009, 01:29 am 
Send private message  Profile

KI Number: 0
It seems the reports of 'minor earth tremors' mentioned in my first post about this intriguing island chain were not just rumours.

A crack has opened in the rock beneath the GoMa building, and there are further localised tremors in the land to the east.

This is worrying, to say the least. I'll keep you posted about developments.

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2009, 03:06 am 

Over the weekend, I've been measuring the earth tremors. They are now pretty severe.

Earlier in the week, Leo and Lightkeeper checked the north-west area beneath the GoMa building. The ground there is now extremely unstable, and a cave has opened up. Take extra precautions when visiting there.

The garden centre to the east has had to relocate. Glasshouses are not the most robust of buildings.

Fortunately, the land beneath the main part of the village seems stable enough, and Lightkeeper has decided to move into one of the cottages. It's great to have a fellow maintainer around to discuss developments and their implications. Then, in the Potter's Cottage, is another old friend: JimQ101 from There and TMP.

During the weekend, I met up with some other residents: Ametist Inkpen, who seems to be the village groom and lives over the stable, and Corvus Drechsler, whose home is an old horse-drawn caravan now well bogged down and not going anywhere.

Lightkeeper and Paislee reported having some strange conversations with Quinquifid Oddenfen. Frustratingly, I didn't get to see him. I really do need more facts about this area, and someone with a background in science would probably be an ideal person to quiz.

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2009, 02:16 am 

Disaster!

Maintainer Lightkeeper Jameson has just sent me this inspection report:
Quote:
June 8, 2009

Report on the GoMa building on Devokan

I have walked the grounds, shaky as they are, and given a close inspection of the property. The ground seems to be in some unstable state and the building is sliding in the direction of the sea I fear.

I note that one of the balconies appears to have lost its support and is quite askew.

I do not recommend any habitation of this structure at this time.

Respectfully,

Lighkeeper Jameson

As a temporary measure I've put some warning cones around the building and activated the door security system. Do take care.

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2009, 07:18 am 
Guild Member
Send private message  YIM  Profile

Alternate Avie: 0fullmetal0, masterchiefloser, mcloser
It'd be my fault then =/ I took a look at the building to see what it was like, having just joined SL and all. I dunno, can one person cause something like that?

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2009, 09:10 am 
Guild Member
Send private message  WWW  Profile

KI Number: 83543
ummmm.... welll... aaah... may be. How much do you weight?

Nalates Urriah is my SL and OSGrid name - MOULagain: Nal KI#oo o83 543 - Nalates KI#111451
Support: Devokan Trust - Myst Style Stories Across Worlds
Support: OpenUru.org - Myst/Uru Open Source Resources

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2009, 06:36 pm 
Guild Member

KI Number: 18275
Alternate Avie: jek
Greg have no fears, it wasn't you. BTW how big are you??? Just kidding. No this is a seismic anomoly that has to be worked out. I do hope you visited the Inn and found the village square with the many board games available for play. Oh there are a good number of sailing vessels available to skipper if you like.

Light

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2009, 06:08 am 

The tremors are continuing. A pillar has now collapsed on the ground floor of the GoMa building, and some of the decorative panels have been shaken from their fixings.

I've taken Lightkeeper's advice and moved out of the building. I'll ask Paislee if there is a cottage I could use as a temporary base.

In the meantime, Oddenfen Island in the east seems to have suffered a cataclysmic shift. The island has sunk, submerging the ground floor of Quinquifid's cottage (poor chap). The cottage looked a bit of a tip before, so perhaps it's all to the good.

One slightly worrying note: While it was hoped that the tremors were not affecting the main part of the village, Lightkeeper reported being stuck in his cottage earlier today because the door would not open -- perhaps the doorframe had been twisted slightly. I gather Paislee was able to sort this problem out.

Edit: Some photos

Devokan village square, showing the inn at the back, and the chapel to the right
Spoiler:

Devokan chapel and Lightkeeper's cottage
Spoiler:

View across to Oddenfen Island and the flooded cottage; JimQ's cottage is the one on the right (fortunately unaffected by floods or earthquakes)
Spoiler:

Current damage to GoMa building (taken from the north); the device in the foreground facilitates training in skydiving
Spoiler:

GoMa building from the south
Spoiler:

All these were taken in the early morning light.

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2009, 03:44 am 

The weekend was busy with moving and setting up a temporary base, though I did manage a brief chat with Ametist on the Saturday, who was exercising one of the horses around the island.

Paislee was able to offer Black Swan Cottage in the south east of the island. It is close to Black Swan Pool -- a great place to sit and dream (not that I do much of that, honestly) -- and to the Inn.

The ground floor of the cottage is large enough to house meetings, should we need to, so I suggest using this as a temporary base both for GoMa in this world as well as an office/home for myself.

I got my Mac working there. It has web access (just click the keyboard to fire it up). If I'm not there and you need to get in touch, use the Mac to send me an email (dot at devokan dot net) -- step-by-step instructions appear on the screen. It's a bit clumsy, but it works. Just don't try sending me your latest plan for taking over the world -- it's limited in the number of characters you can send.

I finally managed to bump into Quinquifid Oddenfen. He's not phased one bit by all the earth tremors. Said it was perfectly normal, mentioned taking Wendall (Alexstrana) for a tour in the submersible -- and then stumped off to work in his workshop. :roll:

One good piece of news: Quinquifid's managed to get a linking system to work. A central gazebo near the village square enables up to six people to link simultaneously to the same place. Pretty impressive.

So that I feel more at home, he has kindly installed a linking book pedestal in the cottage. This works with the linking system as a Relto bookshelf and Nexus terminal combined.

The linking system is limited to only a few locations at present, but apparently there are plans to extend it.

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2009, 06:07 pm 
Guild Member

Hey Dot, I don't know how you would do it, but Lightkeeper and I met up in Devokan and I showed him the teleport system, however there seems to be an issue with the Cave of Books Teleport. I don't know how to come in contact with Quin. Maybe i can do it while he is offline. But alas I don't know how to do that yet in Second Life. Every other one works but the Cave of Books one doesn't. Also I the Cave is looking nice. Added a little homey kitchen and table for gatherings. Don't know who but looks wonderful.

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2009, 10:33 pm 

If you need to get in touch with Quin or anyone else in the village, try leaving a note on the noticeboard on the village square wall (you can see it by the lantern in the top photo above).

If I see Quin, I'll mention the link problem to him and see if he can fix it. Thanks for the heads up!