All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Future of GoMa
PostPosted: 04 Jan 2011, 01:19 pm 
Retired Guild Leader
Send private message  WWW  YIM  Profile

KI Number: 57511
Alternate Avie: Nynaveve Wirefly
Shorah everyone --

Given the recent events with the server, and due to my near total lack of participation in this community recently, along with the minimal activity surrounding this Guild, I have decided to shut down the server at the end of the month. I am leaving it up to you, as a Guild and Community fan base, to decide what you would like to do going forward. I am happy to provide the data and files used here if you choose to move on to a new hosting provider, etc. However, I no longer have the time, energy, or interest (sorry) to drive and maintain this site and the Forums.

I am also not the kind of person to flip the bird and pull the plug... ;) so I am giving you all about a month's notice to decide how you would like to move forward, and I am happy to help assist and provide what I can to give you guys a jump start if you choose to move to a new home.

Andy is moving his tutorials and all the information from Alternate Worlds to the Wiki at GoW, so that will still be available to you. I have had a request or two for archives of other data, which I should be able to provide as well, for historical purposes.

I wish everyone the best in their futures, and for those of you keeping on with Uru and MOUL:a, best of luck and may things always be bright down in the Cavern.

-Nynaveve

Post subject: Re: Future of GoMa
PostPosted: 04 Jan 2011, 03:00 pm 
Send private message  Profile

KI Number: 37681
Alternate Avie: Andy Legate ....... uhm.......
Nynaveve wrote:
Andy is moving his tutorials and all the information from Alternate Worlds to the Wiki at GoW, so that will still be available to you.

Slight correction: Tutorials (both for Blender and Max) are being moved from here, and elsewhere, to the UAM Wiki, specifically:

UAM Wiki

Also my blog will be there too.

Adding them to the GoW Wiki may also happen later, however the first move is very time consuming, heh.

My Navy Brag Page

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2011, 03:11 pm 
Retired Guild Leader
Send private message  WWW  YIM  Profile

KI Number: 57511
Alternate Avie: Nynaveve Wirefly
Oops, sorry. :oops:

Regardless, Andy's endlessly helpful resources are being moved to a new safe haven. :)

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2011, 04:26 pm 
Guild Member

KI Number: 0
I for one will be extremely saddened if GoMa were to close down. It is a sad fact that there are fewer and fewer active players in the game and it seems there are a dwindling number of people willing to create and maintain the number of fan Ages. It would appear that the majority of the active Myst community are those people who stumble across MOULa, download it, play it, finish it and when it becomes apparent that there will be no new content at least in the short term, they leave. I sometimes feel the only way this is going to change is when something happens to the game, long since promised by Cyan.

I feel if GoMa were to close, it would be a very sad day for the Myst Community in general and a large part of this game, along with the goodwill of the GoMa's members, will go with it.

:cry: :cry:

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2011, 05:59 pm 

Someone assuming the domain, if necessary, plus the hosting and site maintenance is the obvious preference for the community's sake. So a volunteer would be cool. I'm not that volunteer, sorry to say, with other things consuming my time. But a volunteer who is stable in the commnity would be your quickest and most permanent solution.

That said, I'd be happy to place any archives onto OpenURU.org somewhere for preservation and replication. In that sense, I'll help any way I can.

JW

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2011, 09:58 pm 

Thanks for the good wishes and offer, BniRabbit and JWPlatt.

Discussions are ongoing...

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2011, 04:49 am 
Guild Member
Send private message  WWW  Profile

KI Number: 83543
Nynaveve, thanks for the time and effort you have put into running the forum. I appreciate it.

I've taken copies of the posts I wanted to preserve from the Uru-SL section.

In general the Myst Community seems to continue to shrink. It has been almost a year since MOULa opened. In that year we have received very little from Cyan. It appears that we won't get much more this year than last.

Fan made tools and ages are the domain of a very few people. Older fans are more and more often just checking in to see what. if anything, has happened. Uru Obsession lost their web site over a year ago and it has yet to be restored. Something like only 2 of 10 posts in the forum there have anything to do with Myst-Uru.

OpenUru.org is quite, going weeks without a post. The GoC Tech Data site gets about 10 visitors per day. I suspect those are all new people looking for maps. Only the MOUL forum is busy and that is mostly new people.

So, while the GoMa forum closing is sad... it may be time. If there are those that want a forum to continue... there are free forum hosting sites.

The domain name... what is to be done with it?

Nalates Urriah is my SL and OSGrid name - MOULagain: Nal KI#oo o83 543 - Nalates KI#111451
Support: Devokan Trust - Myst Style Stories Across Worlds
Support: OpenUru.org - Myst/Uru Open Source Resources

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2011, 06:45 am 

Please be patient. These things are being discussed. People are trying to work out a way forward.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2011, 08:17 am 
Send private message  WWW  Profile

KI Number: 40217
It sure is a sad day to hear this.

Despite what will be decided, maybe those that are discussing can come Saturday in Kirel for the All Guilds Meeting, tell what's happening and discuss with the people in Uru, see if someone else is interested out the little circle of people that is here; old people but also the new explorers who are not yet involved with anything, those who don't know anything of the Guilds and the Projects and need to learn, those who will be the new generation of explorers and guildsman.

If no one will be there, I'll try to make a good summary of what's happening and sound the auditorium.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2011, 10:21 am 
Guild Member

KI Number: 777796
Alternate Avie: Jayden Halliwell (IC Explorer) - 54404
I have server space and would be willing to host the forum and site, if anyone wants anyways.