Guild of Maintainers Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2017, 11:56 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: 20 May 2009, 08:02 am 
Send private message  WWW  Profile

KI Number: 40217

Hear ye! Hear Ye! Official GoMe Contest - PhotoQuest Remembered!!!

The PhotoQuest Remembered Image competition to celebrate the hugely successful In Cavern Photo Quest event is Open.

We need both Contestants and Judges!! All the instructions to participate in PhotoQuest Remembered can be found in our Tutorial, here.

Please follow the rules here.

Each monthly contest start will coincide with the issue of the Newspaper and run for approximately 3 weeks, with the last week (the 4th), prior to the next issue, for judging.
In order to participate, you will need an account at GoMe. Registration is quick, easy, and secure. Simply click here and follow the instructions.

The May contest 'Category' for all submitted images is STONE.

Deadline for submitting Images and Judging Requests: June 16th (we will close the doors in the late evening UTC time).

Brought to you by the GoMe Message delivery service. Serving the community.

PostPosted: 20 May 2009, 09:46 am 
Send private message  Profile

KI Number: 0
Great idea -- I'll have a trawl through my screenshots to see if I can find one to enter.

Do you mind me asking, though, why images from explorer-written ages are specifically excluded from the contest?

PostPosted: 20 May 2009, 10:40 am 

Nice question Dot and sincerely I don't agree with that decision but everyone else seemed to agree in that direction.
Here is the link to our discussion (don't worry it's not so long, just read the linked post and the 3 or 4 next posts):
http://www.guildofmessengers.com/it/nod ... mment-9099

At some point we excluded also flymode, Drizzle and all the other hacks, but then we allowed them again.

PostPosted: 20 May 2009, 11:13 am 

Looking at the arguments, it seems the key post is this from Al'Kaera:

Quote:
Quote:
Theremin wrote:
Quote:
Szark wrote: One thing puzzles me why no Fan Ages.

I can see both points here, personally I would like to see the profile of fan ages raised as you mentioned, but if we're going to restrict the use of photoshop, then we should restrict the use of fan created ages as well, as both might be perceived to give an unfair advantage to those who are more artisitcially talented than others.

My reasoning was different;

1. Fan ages are not going to be available to all participants because of the requirement to own UruCC, ULM-Python download and setup. Those that 'can't go there' may feel it to be an unfair contest.

2. Fan ages are the result of the GoW and GoMa. Anyone who has the ability to go to the fan ages and has a problem with the age had better get onto the GoW and GoMa, DON'T CALL US. I just didn't want GoMe to have that hassle.

3. The GoW and the GoMa can and have revealed what it is they do throught their own contests. They haven't asked us to advertise the Ages being created, just to announce what they are doing and providing a link to what they have done.

4. PhotoQuest was all in cavern, the rules were easier. the control was easier.There were no FAN AGES involved. PhotoQuest Remembered should remind people of the Cavern and PhotoQuest, but because we don't have a cavern (live), we extended to other Cyan worlds we remember.
As of now, none of the Fan Ages are part of the Cyan worlds we know.

Nothing against GoW or GoMa or Fan Ages. This is about PhotoQuest and not Fan Ages, and somewhere there must be a boundary.

Now, I would argue that extending applicable ages to Prologue, Until Uru and the like excludes a lot of us who didn't join the community until MOUL. So the same argument would apply.

Also, the fan ages have become an important part of Uru while we wait for the Cavern to be reopened to the community. They too are part of the ongoing story.

So is the argument assuming a particular 'purity' of the Uru vision?

PostPosted: 20 May 2009, 11:23 am 

Yes, Probably.
I will point Al'K to your questions here and see. The contest has already started so we can't change the rules for this month, all the changes (if any) will affect all the contests from next month. :)

PostPosted: 20 May 2009, 11:47 am 

Thanks, Leo.

Sorry, I probably shouldn't have commented (it was a personal thought/reaction).

PostPosted: 21 May 2009, 06:19 am 

Don't worry :) Feedback is always appreciated 8-)

PostPosted: 21 May 2009, 10:04 am 
Guild Member
Send private message  YIM  Profile

KI Number: 5969479
I will respond to the questions Dot raised;
Dot wrote:
Now, I would argue that extending applicable ages to Prologue, Until Uru and the like excludes a lot of us who didn't join the community until MOUL. So the same argument would apply.

In regard to Prologue and Until Uru, I am at a distinct disadvantage because I too, didn't become a part of Uru until MOUL. I just relied on the opinions of those who were there, and a lot of the discussions about Prologue, UU and even Mudpie.
What I came away with, was that the underlying basis for them all, came out of a vision that was developed solely by Cyan. What the community did with it afterwards, for the present argument, is secondary.

Dot wrote:
Also, the fan ages have become an important part of Uru while we wait for the Cavern to be reopened to the community. They too are part of the ongoing story.

I may actually misunderstand what is meant by this and therefore it becomes a case of semantics. I would reword what was said to say, "The fan ages have become an important part of 'the Uru community' (not Uru, which is not ours yet) while we wait for the Cavern to be reopened."
In any case, my point is/was that UCC is not an integral part of Uru (Cyan). If the story is about the community, ok, but it is not. The story is about Uru and the community that thrives there, not in fan created J'iruna.
Dot wrote:
So is the argument assuming a particular 'purity' of the Uru vision?

Yes, that is so. In addition I will say that I look forward to another Photo Quest, in cavern, that will capture the beauty of any linkable Fan Age. It will show us all that the vision grows and the community is a very large contributor to that vision. This, is a hope of reality to come, not reality as it is.

PostPosted: 21 May 2009, 10:55 am 

Thanks for clarifying this, Al'Kaera.

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2009, 07:12 am 

BUMP!!! :mrgreen:
These are the last days to submit an image for the Photoquest Remembered Contest!
We haven't received any requests for judging the contest, if any of you would like to be a Judge PM me or use the 'Contact Us' form on our website :D