Guild of Maintainers Forum

It is currently 14 Aug 2018, 01:41 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Inspecting Uru Live ages
PostPosted: 17 Jan 2008, 07:20 am 
Send private message  Profile

KI Number: 0
As part of our mission 'To Protect and Serve the Community, throughout the Cavern and Ages', I'd like to suggest that we keep our eyes and ears open for things in Uru Live that aren't working as they should, reporting them to the ResEngs (aka Cyan Support), and noting them and actions taken (e.g. support tickets and responses) here on the forum.

Doing this sort of work will help us train for inspecting fan-made ages, in that we can work as a group in Uru Live and so discuss what we each see and hear. It also gives us the chance to look at multi-player bugs, which is not possible in Uru:CC and ULM.

A subforum would be handy to have, if this strikes others as a suitable task for GoMa supporters. Whether it would fall under 'Cavern repairs' or 'Inspections' I'm not too sure.

This is a project I would be particularly keen to do. Would anyone else like to join me on this?

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2008, 05:13 am 

KI Number: 2347744
I think this could be a real good project. I would like to participate. We should make a list of what to check, like technical problems, KI bugs, graphics etc. Hope there are some others out there who would like to help on this project.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2008, 10:15 am 
Retired Guild Leader
Send private message  WWW  YIM  Profile

KI Number: 57511
Alternate Avie: Nynaveve Wirefly
Would you guys like me to look into installing the Bugzilla program this week for tracking bugs? We could be using it for Cyan ages as well as for Fan ages. Jishin had mentioned this a while back, but there wasn't a real push for it at the time. However, if you're really going to drive this project with Cyan ages and need to track things, I will look into getting it started.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2008, 10:43 am 

I was thinking of keeping it simple and using (if possible) a subforum on this board. Cyan already have a bug tracking system in place, and it makes sense to use that rather than set up our own system (but see below).

Corvus's helpful idea of looking at the different types of bugs could be done through threads within the subforum. Then in each thread we could record what we saw/heard, whether we devised any tests to check its reproducibility, copy the ticket we put in to Cyan (including ticket number), and update it with any response we get from support and any further tests we do on it.

Here's an example of a recent ticket 'Footsteps sounds not heard by all players' (2615-YPLZ-7504). Corvus helped test out this one - it was fun!
Quote:
A group of us (Francesca [Corvus on forums], Ivy, D'Lanor, Morgon and me as Dot) were in Negilahn when I noticed that I couldn't hear everyone's footsteps. In discussion, it seemed that others were hearing some but not all.

We went on to test this systematically. The first person to link in to an age can hear everyone else's footsteps, the second person cannot hear the first person's but can hear the later people to link in, and so on. The last person to link in can only hear their own footsteps. This was consistent in all the ages we tested: Negilahn, Dereno, Hood City (particularly the Museum), the Hood itself.

Let me know if you'd like any more info and we'll test it out in any way we can.

PS: This applies to both running and walking footstep sounds.

Here was the rather nice response:
Quote:
Shorah Dot -

That's an interesting one! Thanks for submitting this, and for your group's extra work testing it. I've added your information to the bug database.

ResEng T Appling
URU Live Support Team

On the other hand, as you say, we will need a bug tracking program for the Guild of Writers' Ages and this might be a way in to getting it going. I've not used Bugzilla before, so that might be behind my hesitancy (sorry). Well, it's all good training! So let's do whatever is thought best. :)

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2008, 03:16 pm 
Guild Member
Send private message  WWW  Profile

KI Number: 1049653
I'm still a pen and pad kinda guy, would the submissions forum be printable to take notes and personaly reveiwed be for sending.

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2008, 02:27 am 
Guild Member

I agree with Captain Ron here ;) I also want to use a pen while 'chasing' bugs, so a form would be suitable for me. Hm, didn't we discuss that earlier, back on the 'old' forum? I can recall some posts about that.

Dot has a point too, maybe we should use the system that's already in use with Cyan- ages. It is a different thing, or rather one can find other bugs when multi-playing.

Can't say anything about Bugzilla - never heard of it 8-)

ametist

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2008, 03:20 am 

I'm another pen-and-paper user, so anything we do will definitely allow for that!

One other thing I've started doing -- especially when chasing multi-player bugs -- is start a chatlog (warning people beforehand). Encouraging others to voice what they see helps in keeping track of events; I also do a mini-commentary of what we are doing.

When I write the ticket for Cyan I try to summarise the paper notes and chat log.

I'm not convinced that filling in an online form other than Cyan's ticketing one would necessarily be helpful (I hate forms in general). That's why I'd sooner have a place here on this forum where we can simply note or copy what we've found. Because we only have access to our own tickets on the Cyan system, a copied note on this forum will help us see what others have found and might give us ideas of other things that need testing. Pooling information is good.

On the other hand, I realise that some people find forms helpful. Would you like to work out an appropriate structure for one? So long as I don't have to use it ... ;)

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2008, 05:21 am 
Guild Member

I can agree with you about problems with forms, Dot. Forms can be hard to fill sometimes because it often doesn't have that 'box' one want to use there. But one good thing with forms is that they are so useful when one make statitics out of them. I imagine we may come to that stage sometime, and then it could be useful to have forms. But of course that can be done later, (and maybe we(GoMa) don't have any use for that at all. :) ) just collect all info from forum and place in a form for making statitics i. e 'How many have tested', 'Most common bug/s' and so forth.

Me, I try to think of these four aspects when 'testing' :
Light
Movement
Sound
Texture from an IC point of view. That's how I report here on forum when having 'tested' fan-made ages. Plus some personal thoughts too :mrgreen:

ametist

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2008, 08:00 am 

Thanks, ametist. Useful and helpful thoughts.

Here are some more of mine. What if we had a section on this forum for Uru Live, with a thread (or subsection) for each of these:

Handy hints on bug testing where people could post ideas like the four aspects you like to think of
KI bugs -- 'nuff said
Avie bugs such as the invisible avie bug that sometimes hits when you link into the hood
General bugs
Age bugs -- one thread per Age

Another thought: we could base the bug thread titles on what appears on Cyan's ticket form to make the links clearer.

Each bug thread could start with a complete baddy list that summarises the bugs reported later in the thread (like the goodie list on the MOUL forum). This baddy list could include the information ametist suggests. To avoid overloading anyone, we could share out responsibility for keeping baddy lists up to date among ourselves, with individuals volunteering for particular ages. Volunteers wouldn't be stuck with all the bug testing in that particular age, of course -- just with doing the paperwork from everyone else's comments! :twisted:

PS: Yet another thought: Another thread might archive the release notes of different builds so that we have a record of what should have been fixed and when.

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2008, 10:21 am 
Guild Member

KI Number: 82165
Alternate Avie: Ji'shin
Collecting bugs for Cyan -- no question there. Submit them by using their database, that's what it's for. It's easy for them to access it -- in fact, I'm sure their QA guys log on every morning and have it all right there in front of them. That way they don't have to go hunting around on our forums just to get their job done. It won't be efficient for them. Also, it does let them generate statistics easily. The more people submit a particular bug, the more likely it is to get fixed.

Keeping records for us would be OK, but I think that should be in addition to, and not a substitute for, submitting them to the Cyan database. It might be worth having the records available just so that we can get together and pound on a particular bug.

Personally, having worked QA before at several different jobs, I strongly prefer having forms and a database to track bugs. A form is helpful in that it makes sure you cover all aspects of the bug rather than just submitting something quick and tossed-off that doesn't have enough detail. In fact, that's actually one of the reasons I *haven't* been doing much QA for the user ages; I find using our forums to record bugs really inefficient. When I find a bug, I immediately pop open a new ticket on Cyan's database, take screenshots, and submit the bug immediately. If I were to do that for our forums, it would be spamerrific.

I also like that I can submit screenshots directly to Cyan's database so I don't have to host them myself. My usual webservice is my iDisk, and accessing that from my PC is a pain in the neck.